Canon MG8150 / 8250 advice please

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Hey, Sam!

I bought from Martin a set of 520/521 so I would have a spare set. Here is what I got: empty oem cartridges, never refilled. They were in perfect condition with no extra holes in them. The exit port and vent were sealed with electrician's tape, and the chips worked perfectly. I do recommend octoinkjet for your spare set.
Also here are the clips you mentioned: http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/Cartridge-Clips{47}Holders-[Canon].html

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
sam21 said:
I like the look of the german method but i am a little worried about leaving the small fill hole in the bottom of the cartridge and having a leak into my printer.
There is a lot of lore here. You can cover that with a good, ink-proof tape like the aluminum tape people sometimes use. Actually, leaks from this hole are reportedly rare, although Panos claims that tape can sometimes cause some ink to wick out!

Some people are concerned about the hole changing the flow of air through the cartridge, which normally comes through the vent (although adverse effects have not been reported). It's also possible that the hole will cause the cartridge to dry out if you do not print a lot, although I don't think the drying rate has been measured.

sam21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the advice i have read so much on this website about refilling cartridges i did not think there was so much to learn.

But thanks to you guys i am getting there.

I just need to find a retailer with the canon MG8250 in stock

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
ThrillaMozilla said:
There is a lot of lore here.
Yes. When it comes to the Durchstich refill hole and leaking, it's 99.9% opinion not based on actual experience. Imagination, AKA theory, runs wild. Better to count the actual reports of an issue to gauge effect, which are so minuscule as to be true outliers.

To the OP, the beauty of the Durchstch method is that overfilling - which will cause any refill method to leak - is accounted for in the proper practice of performing the method. First you fill the cartridge, then let it rest so that ink is sucked up by the sponge, then you top off, and lastly rest the cartridge again in order to determine if there are any leaks (typically from the ink ejection port if at all). Once you have performed this second rest period, you will see there are no leaks, or the leak has stopped, and then you may use or store the cartridge with confidence. The cartridge will leak if you squeeze it, shake it, heat it, or some other activity that you should not be doing with any cartridge regardless of refill method. Same goes with a "spontaneous" leak from the Durchstich refill hole, which I have never sealed in 5 years.

BTW, the rest periods fit nicely into the flow of refilling more than one cartridge since you begin work with another cartridge while resting the one before it.

Unless you are tethered to the top fill method for personal reasons, Give the Durchstich method a try with one cartridge. The hole can always be sealed with hot glue/HVAC tape if you don't like it, just like you can seal the top hole.

In the end, choose the refill method that makes the most sense for you regardless of what we say. You'll be fine with a couple refills under your belt.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Have you looked at the refurbished models on Canon's web site? Some good prices if you don't mind a refurb printer.

sam21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
Unless you are tethered to the top fill method for personal reasons, Give the Durchstich method a try with one cartridge. The hole can always be sealed with hot glue/HVAC tape if you don't like it, just like you can seal the top hole.

In the end, choose the refill method that makes the most sense for you regardless of what we say. You'll be fine with a couple refills under your belt.
Thanks for the advice i think once i get going i will try both methods and see what i like the best.

Also thanks for the link to the refurbished canon printer site, but it was the USA site and im in the uk. once i get to 10 posts i can edit my details and say i am in the uk.;)

sam21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi guys i thought i would have a practice and refill some of my IP400R printer cartridges and its not as easy as it looks, i decided to try the top fill method to start with.

So i got a carpenters awl to take out the little ball to get to the refill hole, but it would not come out, so i ended pushing it into then cartridge.

So what the secret of getting this ball out please

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
sam21 said:
Hi guys i thought i would have a practice and refill some of my IP400R printer cartridges and its not as easy as it looks, i decided to try the top fill method to start with.

So i got a carpenters awl to take out the little ball to get to the refill hole, but it would not come out, so i ended pushing it into then cartridge.

So what the secret of getting this ball out please
I usually dont bother trying to pull the little ball out at all;
I just drill another smaller hole in the top and be done with it, Simples as Alexander would say..

Another thing you should do is to take a photo of yourself before you start your refilling
thats just in case you end up a different colour that your were before you started.. :lol:

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
lau.gif

Use a small screw eye. Push a pin in to make a pilot hole, then screw the screw into the ball and pull it out. Then ream the hole to 5/32". You can drill a new hole, but certain commercial plugs are designed for the factory hole.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The cartridge should work fine if you push/drop the ball into the spongeless compartment. It's happened to me and no problems printing or refilling.

I use a push pin to make the Durchstich hole. Once I get the push pin through the soft plastic I then rotate it at an angle to widen then hole a bit. Avoid rotating the pin in the sponge. My 18 gauge needle fits snuggle at first. The hole will loosen a bit and be a perfect fit for the needle after a refill or two.