Canon MG8150 / 8250 advice please

sam21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
H guys I am new to this brilliant forum and looking for a little advice please.

I know there is not definite answer to my question as I understand refilling ink cartridges is a matter of personal choice but a little advice would be nice.

My curent printer is a Pixma IP400R and I have a CISS ink system from Cityinkexpress I have had this system for about a year now, and I am very pleased with the system and the quality of the ink.

The only problem I have is I have to use the printer every day if I dont use it for a day or two I have to run a cleaning cycle before I can print anything in colour. (I have read on this forum others have the same problem with Ciss systems).

But now I am looking to buy a new canon printer a MG8250 if I can fine any retailer with some stock of I am unable to source one I might buy the MG8150. I understand both these printers are heavy on ink so I would like to be able to refill the cartridges, I dont think I will use a Ciss again because of the constant cleaning cycles .

After reading a lot on this forum I have decided to buy my ink from octinkjet as recommended on this site.
What I am worried about is there seems to be a lot said about the top method of refilling cartridges and sealing the fill hole I like the idea of a hot glue gun to seal the hole, but do this plugs from octinkjet do a good job and do they clear the top of the printer ok without fouling the printer casing. I would not like them to be pulled out and deposit a full cartridge of ink into the printer.

Also some people are recommending the use of 520 and 521 cartridges instead of the 525 and 526 is this because the 525 and 526 are black and you are unable to see the ink level.
If thats so does anyone know where I can buy some 520/521 with the correct chips please?

I know this is a lot to ask but any advice would be much appreciated.

Ps i am in the UK
Regards to you all. :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
sam21
Also some people are recommending the use of 520 and 521 cartridges instead of the 525 and 526 is this
because the 525 and 526 are black and you are unable to see the ink level.

If thats so does anyone know where I can buy some 520/521 with the correct chips please?
First off welcome Sam.

I think you choice to refill the MG8250 instead of using a CISS is a far more sensible approach than you think
because Canon have gone to a lot of trouble to make using a CISS very difficult on all their newer printers.

This printer uses opaque cartridges which can be refilled but not as easy as the clear
see through cartridges, thats why most choose to use the latter.

The opaque cartridges can be refill as I said using the German refill method (best)
but it does takes time to get the hang of it and be proficient with these cartridges.

If you intend to refill from the top then the plugs you spoke of from OctoInkjet will work and
dont have a clearance problem with that printer they do stock two types of these reseal able plugs.

I normally use hot glue to seal my top fill cartridges but I got an extra set of 521 cartridges with plugs fitted from OctoInkjet a while back
and am happy using them with his plugs and didnt bother to revert back to using the glue as yet.

I would recommend you use 521 cartridges instead of the 525s in your new printer because they are much more manageable
and easier to work with simply because you can see what youre doing and less lightly to make a big mess of it.

The MG8250 uses 6 cartridges so you will need to get an extra 521 cartridge to make a complete set so choose the yellow cartridge
for the extra grey colour (makes 6 Carts.) because its easier to purge clean without any problems,
dont forget to get a resetter as well for the 525 chips.

When you have used up the ink in your 525 cartridges remove it from your printer and reset the chip,
then simply remove the chip from that cartridge and put it on the same colour 521 cartridge and its then ready for use.

When its time for the grey cartridge to be replaces gently remove as much of the top label as you can
and place it on the new 521 grey cartridge, it makes it less confusing later.

Getting the chip off your cartridge is very easy to do, just follow the instruction below.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6360

If you need further help or are confused about what you may need to get started on refilling then Email Martin at OctoInkjet
and ask for his advice before you even purchase anything and you wont go wrong..

sam21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi to the Hat

Thanks you for your reply to my question, and I appreciate you taking the time to reply

After reading your post I have made up my mind not to use the Ciss system and to opt for the refill method, and I think I favour the top fill method.

So now I need to source some empty CLI521 cartridges and some PGI520 cartridges to use, but I suppose I could buy some new full ones then put in Martins ink when they run dry, is that correct.

You mention to use the yellow cartridge for the grey ink as its easier to clean.

So just what is the best way of flushing out the remnants of the yellow ink.

And yes i will email Martin for advice before buying any system

Thank you

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
sam21 So now I need to source some empty CLI521 cartridges
If you want to go to the expense of buying new 521 cartridges you can do that
but a cheaper alternative is to get empty ones from OctoInkjet and refill them.
You mention to use the yellow cartridge for the grey ink as its easier to clean.

So just what is the best way of flushing out the remnants of the yellow ink.
If you already have the ball removed from the refill hole then turn the cartridge upside down
and put the cartridge under a slow running cold tap and allow the water to dribble onto the outlet hole.

This water action will allow the ink to be removed slowly so leave it there till all of the sponge is completely white.
If youre in a hard water area they youll need to flush the cartridge out with distilled or spring water afterwards.

To help remove some of the water you can blow on the air intake hole while holding a finger over the refill hole
and then use ghwellsjr method of drying your cartridge see link below.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=34175#p34175

sam21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi to The Hat

I understand buying new full CLI521 cartridges is the most expensive way of doing this. But if i buy used ones i will have no idea of the condition of the insides and i will have no idea whats been in them ink wise, i am sure Octinkjet will only sell good quality products, but with my luck i might get some bad ones.

Also i would like to have at least 2 or 3 sets so if i run out of ink i can just change the cartridge with a full one and then refill them all at once so only one mess.

If i use second hand cartridges i have no idea where i could buy the orange transport clips to seal the outlet hole.

The rest of your information about washing out the cartridge i understand thank you.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Reconsider your choices.

Durchstich/German method. Inherently less catastrophically to go wrong, simpler, and less messy.

Obtain 520/521 cartridge empties from Octoinkjet. You can flush the cartridges if you fear contamination. Swap chips from the cartridges that came with the printer.

Obtain an appropriate chip resetter for the 525/526 chips required to be used with your printer.
Alternatives:

Refill using a method other than the Durchstich/German method. If top filling, use either low profile silicone plugs from Octoink, hot glue or , as some do, HVAC aluminum tape +/- hot glue. Top fill method has increased risk for seal failure and leaking ink as well as inherently messier and more complicated procedure for each refill.

Purchase new OEM Canon 520/521 cartridges, swap chips, use up ink and then refill.

Purchase third party, non-OEM canon cartridges and refill them. Caution - third party cartridges may not perform well or fail at a greater rate than OEM Canon cartridges.

Use OEM Canon 525/526 cartridges and refill by weight. You will need a scale and know the weight of a filled cartridge and the weight of a ml of ink, which has already been worked out if you want to know.
One final suggestion, consider Octoink's SquEasyFill bottles. Unless you are filling by weight or guestimation of an opaque cartridge (the 525/526's), squeeze bottles make refilling easier. You will understand after refilling using syringes.

sam21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks Guys all this is great advice.

But if i use second hand cartridges where can i find the orange clips for storage please.

I like the look of the german method but i am a little worried about leaving the small fill hole in the bottom of the cartridge and having a leak into my printer.

Regards to you all

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
sam21 said:
Thanks Guys all this is great advice.

But if i use second hand cartridges where can i find the orange clips for storage please.

I like the look of the german method but i am a little worried about leaving the small fill hole in the bottom of the cartridge and having a leak into my printer.

Regards to you all
You can always ask if Martin has any or can get some for you,
besides you can use the orange clips that came with your opaque cartridges anyway.

For good refilling you will probability only need two complete sets anymore and you're just boasting.. :lol:

sam21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ha Ha nice one Hat you may well be right i have some big ideas somtimes. i was just thinking if i had a few i could have a evening filling them all at the same time and then there would only be one mess to clean up.

I only want to use OEM cartgidges as i have had trouble in the past with cheap compattable cartridges in the past. They dont always work out cheaper in the long run