Canon i9950: New Print Head, New Purge Unit or Something Else?

NeoSonic

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9950
Hi all,

Trying to get a i9950 working after replacing the print head due to a 5 amber light error code, printer has been sat in a box for probably 8 or 9 years.

I have fitted a replacement print head that I grabbed from Amazon for £34 & some 3rd party cartridges.

The print head looked fine but had a strong stagnant water smell so I assume its been washed out before or something?

There were also some little orange balls like mould around a couple of the nozzles so cleaned them off with some cotton buds.

I have run a basic head alignment & printed out the suggested test page, only 3 out of the 8 of the columns were faintly visible.

After proceeding the printer failed the automatic part of the alignment so I held the reset button next to the power button as instructed by the status monitor.

I then ran the clean operation 3 times, the deep clean once & printed another test page, which came out faint & streaky with only the same 3 colours visible.

After running a few more clean operations I'm not getting anything at all from a test page.

I managed to get the printer open & have had a look at the underside of the purge unit & it doesn't look like the 2 black tubes have become disconnected.

There are 2 sort of white nozzles? on the back of the motor looking thing near the purge unit with a small amount of ink in them but I don't know if that's related?

While the printer was open I decided to rinse out the 2 filters that sit on top of the purge unit & clean the little fins at the top of the purge unit.

After loosely putting it back together I'm still not getting anything on the test page.

If I look inside the printer I can see that one of the pads on top of the purge unit has a small amount of ink in it & one has quite a large amount in it after that last test page.

Should I return the print head or does it sound like a purge unit issue or is it something else?

If anyone has some suggestions or ideas I'd really appreciate it, would hate to have to throw this beast of a printer away after all these years.

I have attached some images below to help illustrate some of my points.

Thanks

Print Head Mould.jpg Print Head Underside.jpgPurge Pipes.jpgPurge Pipes 2.jpgPurge Pads.jpgAlignment Test Page.jpgTest Page.jpg

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Don't waste more time or money. Canon discontinued the printhead for the i9950 long ago, so genuine new printheads are unavailable. Everything offered on Amazon/eBay/Ali Express are refurbished units pulled from discarded printers. The vast majority of those printheads are defective, as the one you got.

NeoSonic

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9950
Fair enough, that's a shame, cheers for the replies. Guess it's time for a trip down to the dump :hit

Do you guys have any recommendations for a A3 photo printer for around £150 or so second hand?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Epson XP-15000 is something you are looking for: A3+ photo printer with 6 cartridges: PK, C, M, Y, Gray and Red.

Latest posts