Canon Chip Resetter Reports

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
headphonesman said:
http://www.discandink.co.uk/acatalog/px_offers.php

Please note although I recognise this as a well established UK company I have not dealt with them previously . At this time I am unable to comment on their level of service , I hope to be able to do so (favorably , I hope) , in the next few days.

I I will give a full report when in a position to do so.
Further to my previous post above regarding this company, I cannot recommend this company at this time, for this Item.

I waited 7 days for delivery and when I rang up , was told it was not in stock "it might come in during the next 2 weeks , perhaps ".
I never received any notification prior to my call that there was a stock problem.

The web site has some items (l litre ink) that are clearly marked "OUT OF STOCK" which is fine , no problem, why they cannot do the same for this item makes you wonder at their motives in advertising something and taking money for it that they do not have, and are not certain when they will have.

If anyone has succesfully purchased the Redsetter from this or any company in the UK, please let us know.

Zap

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Point of Information on the redsetter chip resetter from RKS

I received my resetter 4 weeks ago and am well pleased with it.

I received the following additional information sheet in my email this afternoon, (6-24-08) and thought that I should pass it on for both those who have ordered from another company and for those who has not yet placed an order for the RKS chip resetter or redsetter.

Jack

Hello, Jack E. Barr,

you have ordered following units:

Artikelnummer: 120264022231
1 x NOVELTY! Chip R E S E T + Ink-Level-Control CANON PIXMA

Additional to the instructions we inform you herewith about further details to make sure, that your RKS-InkControl-Resetter works perfect:

1. When you insert the cartridge in the Resetter properly, the LED in the cartridge blinks very short as indication that the electrical contact between the chip of the cartridge and the Resetter is established.

2. You now only have to push the cartridge on the Resetter for a few seconds, until the LED illuminates permanently. Only now, the Reset procedure is finished.

3. There are some cartridges that marginally differ from the design of the original cartridge. In these cases, the round orifice outlet on the cartridge, that is where the ink flows out, is oval or has an offset of approximately 1 mm. This orifice outlet is then touching the upside of the CLI-8.. adapter. Because of this, it can happen that it isn't possible to move down the cartridge far enough, so no contact between Resetter and cartridge is established. In this case, you should either:

a) use another cartridge brand.
b) try to carry out the reset with an original cartridge (eventually affix the chip).
c) insert the CLI-8..cartridge without adapter in the Resetter and pay attention to the cartridge being positioned exactly in the middle.
d) grind away approximately 1 - 2 mm of the CLI-8-adapter of the Resetter at the position where the orifice outlet rests on the Resetter, so the cartridge can be moved down more towards the contacts.

4. In case the cartridges are reset correctly (LED of the cartridge is illuminating continuously in the Resetter) but nevertheless the ink level control (ink monitor) doesn't work, then you have probably deactivated the cartridge beforehand. This is indicated in the Ink monitor of the printer with an X above respective cartridge.

Many printers can't handle such reset chips. In this case, you either have to purchase a new one or you have to obtain chips from used cartridges, which are not deactivated. With these, your printer will operate properly again after the reset

RKS-TECHNIK

RKS-TECHNIK -Tech Solutions-
Strahlenberger Strasse 50
D-69198 Schriesheim
Germany

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Zap said:
4. In case the cartridges are reset correctly (LED of the cartridge is illuminating continuously in the Resetter) but nevertheless the ink level control (ink monitor) doesn't work, then you have probably deactivated the cartridge beforehand. This is indicated in the Ink monitor of the printer with an X above respective cartridge.

Many printers can't handle such reset chips. In this case, you either have to purchase a new one or you have to obtain chips from used cartridges, which are not deactivated. With these, your printer will operate properly again after the reset.
Exactly what does this mean and which printers does it effect?

Zap

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
Zap said:

Many printers can't handle such reset chips. In this case, you either have to purchase a new one or you have to obtain chips from used cartridges, which are not deactivated. With these, your printer will operate properly again after the reset.
Hi, I have several Canon IP4200 printers in use right now using the CLI-8. So I can only guess, but I would say that if you loose the chip on a cartage for any reason, shorted, burned out, that this is what they are calling "deactivated" Otherwise I have no idea how one would go about to "Deactivate" a chip on a cartage.

I lost only one cartage by the printer refusing to recognizing the cartage . I got that X and a warning that I did not have a cartage in that slot. It was as if I had put in a cartage that did not have a chip on it. It was not recognized in the other printers I had either.

And it appears, from my view, that they are suggesting that you can take the chip from another cartage which stopped working for some other reason and transfer that chip to replace the chip that the printer will not recognize.

Other than that, your guess is just as good as mine.

Jack

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I got my resetter from RKS magic-chip.de too :) It works fine. I will post full review and battery replacement mod in a few days.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Jack - Sounds logical.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
stratman said:
Zap said:

I too am not clear on what this means.
My interpretation is that (on some printers) , where you have had warning that the cart is empty and flashing and you have elected to override and release ink monitoring, (i,e. finishing with a cart with no light showing ) , the reset may not restore the cart to "normal" or the printer to printing ability.

I believe that one of the printers with a question mark over it is the later editions of the 4300, perhaps others who have the combination of the Redsetter and the 4300 can comment on whether fully overridden carts do not pose a problem. ?
If a cart has not been overridden (is flashing and waiting to die ) , then I am presuming that the Redsetter will definitely fully restore the cart ?

In my 5200 at the moment the 4 CLi8`s have been overriden and are not showing a light. If taken out and refilled and replaced back in the machine they will flash repeatedly at the center position until the cover is closed, after the head has gone to the far right position and you reopen and look again the lights have remained unlit. The printer prints ok with no ink monitoring.
The PG5 is "good" , it has not been overridden, the light is continuous.

Hopefully I will be able to test for myself soon as I have now ordered a Redsetter from a German company, (who have confirmed that they do have stock in response to my e-mail enquiry.)

For various reasons we all welcome this device, but we need to list what it can and cannot do with some or all machines to benefit fully from its introduction. If anyone can answer the questions I have posed above based on their actual experience with the Redsetter we would be grateful

butcher

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Will this resseter work on any printer model?Mine is ip4500 and my problem with my printer is that the magenta wont come out. i print heavily using refilled cartridges, aproximately 3000 pages a month. Now i cannot use it. Will this resseter solve the problem of the magenta not printing. I observed that if i use the original cartridges it removes the clog and it has no problem printing. Maybe the problem is electronic and the resseter might solve the problem. I really need your advice for i have alot of printing to do.

JAAP

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
bought one of these 2 weeks ago,works well,only problem i have will only reset app. 5 cartridges then have to install new battery,have only managed to reset 15 cartridges with 3 batterys,i have modifed mine to run off a 3 volt switcmode power pack,all is fine now.

jaap

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
JAAP said:
bought one of these 2 weeks ago,works well,only problem i have will only reset app. 5 cartridges then have to install new battery,have only managed to reset 15 cartridges with 3 batterys,i have modifed mine to run off a 3 volt switcmode power pack,all is fine now.

jaap
This is the first report of a power drain problem with a re-setter. has anyone else had cause for concern?

JAAAP can you state the following:-

the re-setter model or type ?...............................( e.g Redsetter ?)
the 3 Battery Makes used / voltage / Type .Code ?..................................(e.g Duracell CR2032 ?)

What was the Make and Type of battery supplied with the device ?