Canon Chip Resetter Reports

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
butcher said:
Will this resseter work on any printer model?Mine is ip4500 and my problem with my printer is that the magenta wont come out. i print heavily using refilled cartridges, aproximately 3000 pages a month. Now i cannot use it. Will this resseter solve the problem of the magenta not printing. I observed that if i use the original cartridges it removes the clog and it has no problem printing. Maybe the problem is electronic and the resseter might solve the problem. I really need your advice for i have alot of printing to do.
Iwould say that your problem probably lies with a clogged Magenta cart , not a clogged head , as another Magenta cart works ok (it is unlikely it would clear a clogged head ) . If there was an electronic problem with the Magenta cart (i.e duff chip) , the printer would not print at all . I would get a new Magenta cart , I dont think a re-setter will help with what is a physical problem , it is an electronic chip changer.

JAAP

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
headphonesman said:
JAAP said:
bought one of these 2 weeks ago,works well,only problem i have will only reset app. 5 cartridges then have to install new battery,have only managed to reset 15 cartridges with 3 batterys,i have modifed mine to run off a 3 volt switcmode power pack,all is fine now.

jaap
This is the first report of a power drain problem with a re-setter. has anyone else had cause for concern?

JAAAP can you state the following:-

the re-setter model or type ?...............................( e.g Redsetter ?)
the 3 Battery Makes used / voltage / Type .Code ?..................................(e.g Duracell CR2032 ?)

What was the Make and Type of battery supplied with the device ?
the model i bought -redsetter
battery supplied with device-mitsubishi CR2032
batterys bought to replace-energizer CR2032
when installed battery would no longer work,removed and voltage still read 3volts,
read voltage of new battery before instaling-3.2volts
after 5 cartridges redsetter would not flash any more,
removed battery read voltage-3volts,
inserted no 3 batterywhich also read3.2volts and reset 5 more cartridges before it stopped,
considered sending back to RKS as faulty but postage from australia to dear (not worth the cost)
have since modified to run of 3volt plugpack and have had no further issues,
did notify RKS,they sent me the same email as above,
have only genuine cannon cartridges,
re emailed RKS to explain this,they told me they are looking into it,no reply as yet.
am not nocking the unit,works fine now,still believe it is somehow faulty but ive overcome that.

jaap

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Thanks JAAP for your full reply,

Will post further after my Redsetter is received and tested .

Gompy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
JAAP said:
the model i bought -redsetter
battery supplied with device-mitsubishi CR2032

read voltage of new battery before instaling-3.2volts

jaap
I've got the same redsetter, bought in the netherlands, but that doesn't matter, the devices ar all the same.
Opened the device before resetting (very easy to do, just whip up the bottom), same battery as Jaap, Mitsubishi CR2032e, read the voltage = 3.31 volts
Reset one set of cartridges (5 pcs), read the voltage again, still 3.31 volts

Regards, Gompy

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Received mine last week, reset 20 cartridges so far, everything seems fine.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
headphonesman said:
Thanks JAAP for your full reply,

Will post further after my Redsetter is received and tested .
Redsetter was received today from Germany.
30 carts were reset (6 were PG5) .........all carts which previously had been the subject of ink monitoring shutdown , were succesfully re-activated to work (apparently correctly at this stage) when put back in 2 seperate 4200 machines.

It can be noted that 1 of the carts was originally purchased as a Cartridge World Re-set/refilled . this was reset ok as well, useing the normal procedure.

The base of the Redsetter has not been removed , as the machine and battery appears to be functioning correctly.

All reset carts have been marked as reset with a colored dot. Additional dots will be placed on future resets.
The actual reduction on the ink monitor will be confirmed at a later date.

The carts are being run in a new machine that has not been involved in ink level monitor override , so voiding of warranty on ink override grounds should not be become a problem for this machine.

I have noticed on e-bay that several people are now selling genuine Canon refilled and reset./ rechipped carts for 3-4 . They aapear to be describing them properly , (at the moment) .
I have just checked again........ the prices are much higher 5-6.........amazing !...................even the empties are getting expensive !

binkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Any scuttle butt out there about when the redsetter may be available from an American dealer?

Binkie

big-guy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
binkie,

I bought one from Ebay, there is a seller in the US.
I got a redsetter for $62 plus $3 to ship. It arrived today, I have not used it yet.
It does not come with ink. I use one specific ink, and did not care about that. Here is the seller's similar auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320269353461

The battery is installed, and is advertised to give up to 1500 resets. I doubt that, but if I get 200 I will be very happy.

Froggy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Big-guy,

You can replace the battery relatively easily when it does go. It's just a CR2032 coin cell, the exciting bit is removing the base from the Redsetter. No, I've not done it, but I read that it is not that difficult.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
big-guy said:
binkie,

I bought one from Ebay, there is a seller in the US.
I got a redsetter for $62 plus $3 to ship. It arrived today, I have not used it yet.
It does not come with ink. I use one specific ink, and did not care about that. Here is the seller's similar auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320269353461

The battery is installed, and is advertised to give up to 1500 resets. I doubt that, but if I get 200 I will be very happy.
Yeah, I saw that auction a few days ago and wondered where he got those.
I don't think he's a guru because of the misinformation in his spiel.
(quoting printers that have unchipped tanks, etc.)
I also wondered if his product is genuine REdSETTER... binkie ??

Does anyone know if the REdSETTER has been successful in resetting chips for tanks that are being used in the very latest Canon models such as iP4500, MP610, MP970 ?

Thanks,
JF