Canon Chip Resetter Reports

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score

big-guy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My printer is the ip4500. I will try to reset some of my cart's this weekend.
I am new to refilling, and have only refilled my original 'M' twice, 'Y' and 'C' once, and PGI-5 once also.
All were refilled one week ago, so I will top them off, and reset them. I will let you know..

big-guy

Gompy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
@jflan

I do have a IP4500 and using the redsetter for a month now and I can assure you that the redsetter is working fine with that printer.
In fact, the redsetter has nothing to do with these printer models, it's only affecting the chips on the CLI-8 and PGI-5 cartridges.

Regards, Gompy

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Gompy said:
@jflan

I do have a IP4500 and using the redsetter for a month now and I can assure you that the redsetter is working fine with that printer.
In fact, the redsetter has nothing to do with these printer models, it's only affecting the chips on the CLI-8 and PGI-5 cartridges.

Regards, Gompy
Yes, I understand but there have been rumors that the latest Canons are more difficult to satisfy with the reset cartridges.
Glad to hear that you are having success with the iP4500 !

Thanks big-guy and Gompy.

big-guy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
OK, I have now reset 4 of my 5 cartridges on the ip4500. The red light is on steady in the printer, and the ink info utility shows full levels again. I paid $65 for the re-setter delivered, which is less than a full set of original ink from Canon. A fair deal, but I expect the price to drop on this in the future. Maybe as low as $25, if some of the lowest UK prices make it to the US. I think it must happen at some point.

I found that using the Redsetter is very easy, but there is some wiggle room when seating the cart. for programming. I had to try slight position changes until the first flash of red light appeared. I held the cart in that spot for a few seconds until the red light glowed solid. Done.

I expect the ink monitor function to report accurately, but I will remove the carts when the level is shown about 50% to confirm accuracy visually. I will probably check again when 10% remains. After I am confident, I will not have to bother checking further.

I wonder how Canon will respond to this affordable development. It may depend on how ink sales are affected. Not everyone will go through the trouble.

I am using the German refill method with a push tack instead of a drill. I am very content with the ease and result. (Thank you pharmacist and others here who provided the great info I needed to jump in).

I am also very pleased with the ip4500 printer. It is fast, and has very good photo quality. The noise level is much less than my prior Epson photo printer that died on me. Now that I am refilling, it is very affordable to use as well. I chose to use inks from alotofthings.com and find them a very close match to the original ink.

Go for it Binkie, or wait for the price to drop. You can continue to check ink levels by eye, but forgetting can cost you a new head set.

I only paid $85 for my new ip4500, and newegg.com now shows it at $80 and free shipping. I might buy a back-up and keep it in the box. I will need to replace my original ink carts at some piont, and they are included with the printer. How many refills are they good for? I will know when it gives me a problem.
I am not sure if I want to drill, flush, and glue later, or just replace the whole cart. I will see how long they last. Maybe I will sell them on ebay as they are, previously refilled and clogged, but with a usable chip to those who buy 3rd party empty carts. (thinking out loud)

big-guy

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Thanks big-guy, for that detailed report !
Well done.

big-guy said:
I wonder how Canon will respond to this affordable development. It may depend on how ink sales are affected.
I hope that they don't go the Epson route.
Sure looks like the cat is out of the bag, though :)

Not everyone will go through the trouble.
Very true.

I am not sure if I want to drill, flush, and glue later, or just replace the whole cart.
Hobbicolors has tapered silicone rubber plugs that fit a 1/8" hole very nicely.

binkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
big-guy said:
OK, I have now reset 4 of my 5 cartridges on the ip4500. The red light is on steady in the printer, and the ink info utility shows full levels again. I paid $65 for the re-setter delivered, which is less than a full set of original ink from Canon. A fair deal, but I expect the price to drop on this in the future. Maybe as low as $25, if some of the lowest UK prices make it to the US. I think it must happen at some point.

I am using the German refill method with a push tack instead of a drill. I am very content with the ease and result. (Thank you pharmacist and others here who provided the great info I needed to jump in).

Go for it Binkie, or wait for the price to drop. You can continue to check ink levels by eye, but forgetting can cost you a new head set.

big-guy
Big Guy,

Thanks for the input.

I'm going to wait until the redsetter is available in the US for about $25.00. That's my sweet spot. Until then, I'll just monitor my ink levels by hand and hope I don't forget and ruin a head. Hopefully, a $25 redsetter wiull be available in the US soon.

I just started using the German refill method with my new Canon MP530. I can't get over how simple it is, with no worries about sealing the refill hole. Using this refill method is a no brainer! I used a push pin to open the refill hole then used a small screw eye that I got with a picture frame kit to widen the hole. My 18 guage needle would not fit through the push pin sized hole. Quick and easy with no chance of a slip up with an electric drill.

Glad to hear that most are having good success with the redetter. Keep up with the progress reports.

Blessings.

Binkie

JAAP

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Further to my post #72 my redsetter has been replaced by rks free,
they have also agreed to pay registered postage back for the original unit which was rather expensive from australia,
excellent service. would certainly recomend them.

jaap:)

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
forumqu said:
This re-set they mention is for resetting the waste ink tank levels stored on the eeprom in the printer of various Canon Printers via software or via the pressing of buttons on the printer whilst in the Maintenance Engineers Mode.

This thread is dealing with the re-set of the electronic chips on the CLI series cartridges which allow the Ink Monitoring facility to be continued and employed when using refilled cartridges.
A Redsetter or similar piece of hardware , is used , which accepts a Chipped CLI 8 cart for re-programming , it does not interact with the printer eeprom directly .