Canon chip resetter (CLI-8 / PGI-5)

Defcon2k

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
headphonesman said:
"non replaceable"???...........I feel a challenge coming on.
FYI: The distributor of the redsetter said in the druckerchannel.de forum that it is not really a problem to replace the battery. The body of the resetter has some plastic clips (no glue or things like that), and the battery is a small round "coin cell"which you can also find in wrist watches, PC motherboards etc. and which is easily replacable.
They said that the battery is said to be "non replacable" because otherwise the body must have been designed different and legal issues had to be considered, which would have made the resetter substancially more expensive.

I think the situation is this: "You can replace the battery easily, but do so at your own risk. We will only guarantee that the resetter will work with the first battery."

The redsetter mentioned here costs about 23 Euro. There is also a version with an external power supply for about 45.
I've also seen an advertisement of another (chinese?) resetter with a replacable battery for 40, so the "redsetter" seems to be not the only affordable resetter on the market.

Defcon2k

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Oh right, the RKS resetter is the other resetter I read about. I've read no test or user comments so far, but I guess it will have the same electronics inside like the redsetter and will also work fine.
Btw: if you would buy the RKS resetter and the small blue chip clips (RKS Chip-Extender), you can't reset the chips directly inside the printer. The chips can stay inside the extender when you reset them, but you have to take the chip with the extender out of the printer to reset them.
I don't know how well these extenders work, but I think 20$ (or even 50$ when you only buy these) is a steep price for 6 small plastic clips.

edit: Here is a video of the extender things.

binkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Defcon2k said:
I don't know how well these extenders work, but I think 20$ (or even 50$ when you only buy these) is a steep price for 6 small plastic clips.
Defcon2k,

I agree that the price for the clips is way too steep. I don't exactly know how the clips work, but it seems to me that there are many inventive people out there who can figure out a way to make home made clips that will perform the same function. Let's hear from you. Hope someone proves me correct!

Binkie

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
if only it could reset reset CLI-8 photocyan + CLI-8 photomagenta + CLI-8 red + CLI-8 green.

At least CLI-8 photocyan + CLI-8 photomagenta. Oh I forgot canon decided to play stupid and made 6color photoprinters dead.
I wonder why - perhaps added green and red inks and other mumbo jumbo like 10 ink Pro9500 is just 10% better for the averadge photographer than say ip6700D.

Canon gets 40% more money if you buy 10 cartridges instead of 6.

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Apparently it does......

Future-oriented: Suitable for CLI-8 products like >Photo Cyan, Photo Magenta< as well as the new CLI-8-Red and CLI-8-Green Tanks.

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
Something I have not seen mentioned in this discussion as relates to an individual purchasing a low priced resetter for home use. It has been my understanding that the chips are serialized and that the printer will not accept a reset cartridge as new if that serial number has been in the printer. If this is true, is it like the HP printers that remembered 2 carridge serial numbers and you need at least 3 cartridges to rotate through the printer to regain in level monitoring?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
billkunert said:
Something I have not seen mentioned in this discussion as relates to an individual purchasing a low priced resetter for home use. It has been my understanding that the chips are serialized and that the printer will not accept a reset cartridge as new if that serial number has been in the printer. If this is true, is it like the HP printers that remembered 2 carridge serial numbers and you need at least 3 cartridges to rotate through the printer to regain in level monitoring?
AFAIK canon reads writes actual fire cycles to the cartridge why should it deny useage if it stores serial? I'm not sure it stores serial as same cartridge in another printer will report same ink level as in one you removed it from.

This means that as I said cartridge stores remaining ink capacity. It is read and writter while you are using the printer.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Is it known if the German ReDsetter will reset a partly used cart, or must it be empty first?

I ask because I routinely top-up carts rather than wait for them to get empty.