Canon chip resetter (CLI-8 / PGI-5)

Forsurchi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm sorry pharmacist, I didn't know the comaptible CLI-8 chips were being sold to the public, I know they've been on the market for wholesale remanufacturing for about 2 months now (with 1 month in testing). I feel embarrased, I thought when I read the begining of this post that we were talking about items avaible to the public at an afforable price. Add a link to the company that sells them to the public, I'd like to see how much their selling it for. I'm assuming you've also purchased this resetter from one of the sites posted at the start of this post (I've heard of it being out, but never thought anyone actually had one since its been rumored to be out for like ever). I'd like to see a video of this in action, why don't you post one up on youtube so we can all check it out.

Molitor

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It looks to me like this resets six CLI-8's (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, Photo Cyan, Photo Magenta) plus PGI-5 Black. The shipping is a bit painful to the Americas, but for under $100 total it's not too bad if it actually works reliably.

There are actually different resetters depending upon which printer you select. If I select an iP6700D I get product 90005:

http://www.patronenhandel.de/produc...Chip-Redsetter-for-Canon-CLI-8-and-PGI-5.html

If I select the Pro9000, I get product 90007:

http://www.patronenhandel.de/produc...Chip-Redsetter-for-Canon-CLI-8-and-PGI-5.html

This version does PGI-5 BK + CLI-8: C,M,Y,K,PC,PM,R,G

They're the same price, so this raises some questions: Are the resetters the identical except for their "product" number? Do the reset chips only work correctly in the printer the resetter is designed for? I'm guessing they're identical, but who knows...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Molitor said:
It looks to me like this resets six CLI-8's (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, Photo Cyan, Photo Magenta) plus PGI-5 Black. The shipping is a bit painful to the Americas, but for under $100 total it's not too bad if it actually works reliably.

There are actually different resetters depending upon which printer you select. If I select an iP6700D I get product 90005:

If I select the Pro9000, I get product 90007:

This version does PGI-5 BK + CLI-8: C,M,Y,K,PC,PM,R,G

They're the same price, so this raises some questions: Are the resetters the identical except for their "product" number? Do the reset chips only work correctly in the printer the resetter is designed for? I'm guessing they're identical, but who knows...
The instructions (http://www.patronenhandel.de/321_Sudhaus_Instr_01b.pdf) have you reset the empty cartridge first before refilling and it describes the Durchtsich Method for refilling.

I like how their refill ink comes in vials similar to medicine vials for injectable medicines - it has a rubberized (?) stopper incorporated into the top through which you insert the needle and suck up the ink into the syringe. SOOO much cleaner and more accident free than with screw-off top ink bottles normally used from third party ink manufacturers. (HINT, HINT!)

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
stratman said:
Molitor said:
Are the resetters the identical except for their "product" number? Do the reset chips only work correctly in the printer the resetter is designed for? I'm guessing they're identical, but who knows...
The instructions (http://www.patronenhandel.de/321_Sudhaus_Instr_01b.pdf) have you reset the empty cartridge first before refilling and it describes the Durchtsich Method for refilling.
This is very interesting.......the price of the resetter is attractive......their selection and support of the Durchstich method (50mm needle in the included ink refill kit) shows awareness of recent techniques.

I would buy one BUT ........., (on todays visit !) there is no stock of the resetter, or the large bulk ink refills !
Strange ...it seems like a very "together" site.

Can any one report on having already purchased the basic resetter kit and its performance ? I would presume the resetter is identical, the different Part numbers may refer to the difference in the ink refill contents perhaps?
Upon confirmation this is an ok supplier i will seriously consider purchase of both resetter and ink.

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
From what I've heard, and read, this resetter will be available May 21st. It was presented at the Germany Remax apparently, with excellent results. There are a few people who have purchased one at Remax, and are testing them. They will post their results on another forum, which I will relay here.

Defcon2k

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Here are some tests from druckerchannel.de (I'll use the google auto translation link mentioned above):

Test - the chip resetter "Redsetter" from Sudhaus
The "Redsetter" will be available in a few weeks. It will cost 20, or 30 including a refill kit. The company claims that the resetter can reset all PGI-5 and CLI carts (including photo colors and special colors. But in this test, only the basic colors were tested, I think). Resetting is fast and works well: you press the cart 1-2 sec onto the resetter until the LED shows a continuous light. There is an adapter which you use to reset the smaller CLI carts.
The basic version of the resetter has a non-replacable (boo! why that?) battery which will last 500 refills, but there will also be a version with an external power supply for 40 (without ink and other stuff).
The ink is okay, but not quite as good as Canon ink: a bit darker and more reddish, and it will smear more when you use a "text marker"(?)/"highlighter"(?) pen.

Carts with compatible chips: Pelikan
The carts look a bit different but function nicely, including the chips and the LEDs. The ink is okay, and you can mix Pelican carts and original Canon carts.

Carts with compatible chips: Pearl "Icolor"
The first samples of the carts manufactured by the chinese company Ninestar (G&G) are cheaper, but don't seem to have a good quality: 2 out of 8 carts lost their ink while inside the original packing(wrapping?). If you take them out, there is further chance of leaking. The ink itself is okay (comparable to Pelikan), but you can print more pages with the Canon carts and even more pages with the Pelikan carts. The chips work well. The chips of Pelikan and Pearl are the same, although the circuit board beneath the chips looks quite different.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Defcon2k said:
..........The basic version of the resetter has a non-replacable (boo! why that?) battery which will last 500 refills, but there will also be a version with an external power supply for 40 (without ink and other stuff).
Yes , thanks very much Defcon................"non replaceable"???...........I feel a challenge coming on.

If the latest Canon printers are (according to rumor) demanding fully functioning chips, this may become a necessary item in the refillers kit ........perhaps ?

Kefp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
TS9020, Pro100
Looks as though the resetter is now available and in stock at a number of european websites for 22,95 EUR.

has anybody tried it yet?