Canon bottled dye inks

cmato

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP900
Thanks very much for detailed ink test and explanation. I have some questions....

I bought Canon printer TS6350 (PGI-580, CLI-581) (in EU) and my plan was to use refill ink GI-43(53) for CLI-581 and ...

1. PGBK GI-40?, or GI-41? for PGI-580. Or better will be to use dye GI-43 BK? - due to avoid nozzle clogging. I use this printer in home, not often, sometimes for documents, sometimes for photos.

2. Is it safe to use HP GT51, GT52, GT53 in Canon PGI-580, CLI-581? (bubble head technology). HP inks are cheaper than Canon GI-43 and also it looks that HP GT5x is more stable in long term (in this test).

3. Is it safe to use Epson 106 ink in Canon CLI-581? (piezo vs bubble head) - I have Epson 106 bottles (XP900), but due to mechanical problem with "head parking" this printer is not working, also head is clogged, damaged, so I bought TS6350.
EDITED: It looks that it is working
also discussion
but not for long time https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-pgi-245-with-epson-664-bk-ink.13815/

Last edited:

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Thanks very much for detailed ink test and explanation. I have some questions....

I bought Canon printer TS6350 (PGI-580, CLI-581) (in EU) and my plan was to use refill ink GI-43(53) for CLI-581 and ...

1. PGBK GI-40?, or GI-41? for PGI-580. Or better will be to use dye GI-43 BK? - due to avoid nozzle clogging. I use this printer in home, not often, sometimes for documents, sometimes for photos.

2. Is it safe to use HP GT51, GT52, GT53 in Canon PGI-580, CLI-581? (bubble head technology). HP inks are cheaper than Canon GI-43 and also it looks that HP GT5x is more stable in long term (in this test).

3. Is it safe to use Epson 106 ink in Canon CLI-581? (piezo vs bubble head) - I have Epson 106 bottles (XP900), but due to mechanical problem with "head parking" this printer is not working, also head is clogged, damaged, so I bought TS6350.
EDITED: It looks that it is working
also discussion
but not for long time https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-pgi-245-with-epson-664-bk-ink.13815/

The video's shows an aftermarket Epson cartridge: it might well be filled with universal ink that fits all types of printing technics: both piezo and bubble jet. So this is no clear evidence that piezo inks can be used in bubble jet print heads. Also the type of cartridge is sponged based: there might be some old ink left in the sponge based cartridge pushed down by the refilling process. So there are two things that might obscure the prove. It is known all bubble jet types of inks can be safely used in piezo heads, but piezo inks might or might not work well in bubble jet print heads in the long term. I use pigment HP (bubble jet) compatible inks in my Epson Workforce printers, without any problems.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
- Piezo printheads are less sensitive to solvent variations which make a difference for Canon or Epson inks, I didn't see problems with using Canon or HP inks in Epson printers but this would not be my general recommendation, the risk of malfunction is always with the user doing this.
I tried it several times - on IP... printers - to use Epson inks which failed very quickly. This all relates to inks specifically made for Canon or Epson; these 'universal' inks are most likely inks for Canon which run on Epsons as well. And I have seen some comments longer time ago that HP inks as well run on Canon printers, but the hue of HP inks is somewhat different to Canon inks, you'll have to do some color adjustments in the driver or to create a specific icc color profile. HP inks run just fine in Epson printers, as well with some color adjustments.

ad 2: I only tested the HP GT52 dye inks, not the pigment inks, they will fade less; if your printer runs with a dye black I would not switch to a pigment black, but again - that's up to you and your risk.

ad 1: The Canon GI-53 inks of the G550/650 printers are classified as Chromalife 100 dye inks by Canon, you can use them in all CLI... - ChromaLife - cartridges.
Keep some practice to print something now and then to keep the printer active even if you don't need to, don't just forget it, and nozzle problems after a while may not be a problem that you switched inks but kept the printer idling for too long

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
3. Is it safe to use Epson 106 ink in Canon CLI-581? (piezo vs bubble head) - I have Epson 106 bottles (XP900),
In a nutshell, it’s very unwise to use Epson inks in any Canon printer, this will only lead to the print head over heating and failure, so purchasing Canon inks are much cheaper than a head replacement, it’s your decision, so only you can choose..

Latest posts