Bronzing problem solved on the Pro 9500

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Hmm.. which takes up back to the Krystal Topkote product from IS... Perhaps it's time to get an Epson 1290 or similar next? ;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
websnail said:
Hmm.. which takes up back to the Krystal Topkote product from IS... Perhaps it's time to get an Epson 1290 or similar next? ;)
Ah yes but would it work in a Canon and has it got a UV protective coating.. :hide

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
The test print I did by putting GO over different parts of a dye ink A3 print showed no difference in the fading, the whole print faded evenly. This was on Cheap for down here ($30 for 20 sheets A3) Chinese glossy paper. These results were posted earlier in this thread.
It would be fantastic if we could find a topcoat that protects a print from UV & contaminants that we could apply through our printer heads.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
OK heres an up-date on my latest attempt at overprinting GO on glossy paper.

This time I used my iX7000 which has several damaged nozzles in all of the colours but it still works perfectly ok and I cant damaged it any further that is if I remember to use the correct Gloss Optimiser.

The GO doesnt eliminate all of the issues associated with 3rd party inks on glossy paper
but it does make a huge difference in cutting down on the bronzing affect, however it cant completely cure the slight problem which makes the reds in a photo look a little bit flat.

Anyone wishing to try this would be far better off if they can use a dedicated Epson printer rather than a Canon printer or use two sets of cartridges and two print heads in a Canon printer, (Expensive) so I reckon it would be cheaper to go the Epson route.

Using the MBK cartridge only with GO in it on a Pro 9500 certainly does work especially for test purposes, but if you want to do this with all of you prints long term than youd have to get a much more suitable way rather than risking the print head in the event of a accident in your 9500.

Happy Glossing.. :)

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
You sound a bit wary about using the 9500 so should I stop using it for GO? I don't want to take any risks. I wouldn't need the GO if I could find an affordable almost matte paper locally that prints up without that flat look you get on cheaper matte papers. Paying postage even from other states in Oz makes it not worth shopping online.
Thanks for testing all this out Hat.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
rodbam said:
You sound a bit wary about using the 9500 so should I stop using it for GO? I don't want to take any risks. I wouldn't need the GO if I could find an affordable almost matte paper locally that prints up without that flat look you get on cheaper matte papers. Paying postage even from other states in Oz makes it not worth shopping online.
Thanks for testing all this out Hat.
On the contrary, I decided to get another printer because I didnt want to tie up the 9500
each time I wanted to test out printing the GO.

I constantly use my MBK cartridge and changing it in and out became a bit of a bummer
and I was always afraid I will forget something and burn out some nozzles by mistake.

As you dont use your MBK cartridges you wouldnt have the same problems that I would encounter, I love this printer and dont want to have it out of action for even a moment through carelessness on my part, I much prefer using the 9500 over the Pro 1, its a real thing of beauty.. :)

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
If you pay the postage I will swap you my 9500 for your Pro1:)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
rodbam said:
If you pay the postage I will swap you my 9500 for your Pro1:)
I reckon digging a tunnel would be a cheaper option; it weighs in at 70 lb.. :gig

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I've just decided to keep & love my 9500:)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I decided, I was getting tired of refilling my little 10ml dampers on my 1400 Gloss Optimizer printer about every dozen 13 x 19 so I took them out and installed one of a couple of Epson 1400 CISS units I got on EBAY. Only $20 each and I thought they would be awful but they are actually very good. So far. After installing with Precision Colors IS Gloss Op for the R1900 / R2000 and getting the last few bubbles out of the system lines, I began to treat a batch of large prints and so far it is working perfectly. I have to leave the lid open simply to eliminate a bit of tubing slap on the underside if I print with the lid down. That's not a problem.

The chips are mounted on each cart, not a chip bar with a reset button. So I assume that these will reset automatically when one color goes fully empty. Right?

I am using the real QuadTone RIP to control the GLOP so that all 6 colors are printing GLOP equally. This is controlled with QuadTone Curves. The default level ( Amount ) of GLOP is supposed to be a "Value" of 5000 per channel. According to Jon Cone that's what they use to overcoat their "all black" Piezography prints to eliminate bronzing and gloss differential. The images that you use to print GLOP with the QT RIP are simply WHITE background JPEGS or any other format. You can also adjust "Printing Resolution" and I am printing at 720 dpi for the RIP which results in a perfectly smooth layer of GLOP.

My results were not good with those values. It basically laid down a full WET layer of GLOP. If I held it by a corner it would likely drip or run.
I created sets of curves with lesser values in hope of arriving at a optimizer value, and on Red River Ultra Pro Satin ( one of my favorite RR papers ) I am using a value of 2000 per channel. Results are perfect I can eliminate ANY incident of bronzing and or gloss differential. I also have decided to fully dry the prints before running them through the process. The 1400 will definitely laid down Pizza Wheel marks especially on dark areas on this paper.

Now, one effect that I am experiencing is this. Prints that contain deep black areas and even total black small sections, initially will show bronzing with I.S. PK. After one pass with the 2000 value curve, all bronzing is eliminated, BUT...... those deep blacks are now WAY TOO GLOSSY! It's not really that bad, though, just way glossier than surrounding lighter tonalities. Further adjustments will be needed. If the print has no deep blacks, that is not an issue.

Unlike the single GLOP being used with a CANON printer which apparently does not fully eliminate the problems, printing with a total of 6 channels is definitely the way to go.

Next thing to do is to order more Gloss Optimizer from PC. I will likely need a pint as I had to "Borrow" 8oz that were slated for the R1900s and the R2000.