Artisan 1430 cartridge errors

RobertA

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP OfficeJet Pro 8720
I'm attempting to resuscitate a 1430 that I suspect may have never printed successfully. Everything inside it was pristine, including the ink waste lines, and when I first plugged it in, it would slam the carriage into the left side and stop.

I fixed that problem when I found the ribbon cable for the Sensor FFC (CN14) was disconnected at the Main Board. Since then I've been fighting to get it to recognize a set of OEM cartridges or a CISS, neither successfully so far.

I have replaced the print head, and using my CISS, I was able to prime the head, so that I know ink has filled the air spaces and moved through it. But I cannot get it to recognize all the cartridge slots at the same time.

If I leave one cartridge out, doesn't matter which one, it will appear to recognize the other five, or at least not show error LEDs. If I place all six or a CISS in, none are recognized. I've seen a number of reports of this problem online, but no solutions.

I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for additional parts that might be worth replacing? I've seen the discussion about putting a L1800 board in as a replacement to bypass the chip issue, but I'm also curious if anyone has reason to believe it might be the ribbon cables, even though they look fine, clean, I've cleaned contacts and checked the connections many times at this point.

I even swapped the CSIC Board from my working 1430 into this one to see if that was the issue, but it didn't change anything. I haven't updated firmware successfully because of the cartridge errors, and so have no reason to think it's running anything recent. My other 1430 is running the latest firmware with no issues.

I'm considering new ribbon cables or a new main board, but I'd love to know if this sounds familiar to anyone--thanks!
Rather than wasting time & MONEY, why not purchase a Refurbished 1430 printer from Epson for $199. It's a No-brainer. Although I love Epson printers I stopped using them after 20+ years. Check it out here: https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/Inkjet-Printers/Epson-Artisan-1430-Inkjet-Printer---Refurbished/p/C11CB53201-N BTW, I recommend only buying manfacturer refurbished only.

Last edited:

Dualbunny

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 1430
Rather than wasting time & MONEY, why not purchase a Refurbished 1430 printer from Epson for $199.

You got my hopes up! I thought somehow I had missed those existing. :confused:

I'd love to have done that, but the model that fits my existing CISS systems was discontinued shortly after I bought my first printer, and the prices quickly surpassed what I originally paid, let alone those refurbished models they used to sell from Epson. They've been out of stock for a long while now. A new one now on eBay runs from $350-$450, used ones aren't much less. So I'm trying to get this one running. I already made the big investment with a new print head, the rest of the hardware is cheaper, and mechanically, the thing is spotless so there's no reason it shouldn't work well and for a long while if I can nail down whatever gremlin is in the chip/cartridge sensing portion....

RobertA

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP OfficeJet Pro 8720
I have a HP OfficeJet Pro 8720. I hoped I could get refillable carts but after months of researching found that the ARC chips are a problem. I have been refilling the original carts with a system I purchased direct from Korea. It works really well without any hassle. You need to search the link for your needs. Video are excellent. Here's the link: http://www.refillhouse.com/index.php?route=common/home
BTW, I used Epson for 20+ years [always Refurbished] but they have changed for worse since the Waste Ink Tank [another ripoff], then they went to the Eco Tank. Very happy with the HP. The Money is in the INK.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I can report some funny behaviour of a P400 printer in regards to cartridge recognition - it appears to be random - cartridges reported as fine previously are suddenly blocked - e.g. a yellow refill cart runs empty, and suddenly 3 other cartridges are not recognized, which worked a day before, filling them up, replacing them with other cartridges which worked before may make the situation even worse. I found only one somewhat reliable way to get back into a working condition - inserting a set of genuine Epson cartidges which don't report empty, and then replacing cartridges one by one and checking their acceptance by firmware in the status display. Epson is playing a game with you as a customer.

KellyFettes

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 1430
Dualbunny, I am having the EXACT same issue with my artisan 1430. Won't recognize all cartridges, but will recognize 5 when 1 is removed. Did you get this issue resolved? I have an extra artisan 1430 I can use for parts.

M82492

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Having this exact same issue with my 1430. Has anyone found a solution?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Do you have this problem with a new set of OEM Epson cartridges ?

inkygorilla

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP-970
this problem started for me a few weeks ago. Had been printing with a CISS for a couple of years, then moved to refillable cartridges and that was fine for about a year, then, out of the blue, it flashed up all the lights on the cartridges and said they can't be recognized.
As with others here, if i put them in one at a time they appear to be recognized and in the Mac printer driver it reports recognizing genuine Epson cartridges, until i put in the last one then they all become unrecognizable.
Real shame as this has been a workhorse for me and would be a shame to chuck just because of this.

removed the print head, checked cables for build up etc and nothing.

Also same occurs for me when opening the CD tray, it changes to just the yellow cartridge being lit, then when closing the tray goes back to all cartridges.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I can confirm such spooky behavior as well on other Epson printers as I mentioned above, and I don't really have a complete fix for it. It appears to me that the printer firmware stores some kind of serial number data of the installed cartridges and can recognize and reject OEM cartidges which you reset and try to use again. A resetter may blink green for o.k., but the printer refuses them. But they are not defect - you can work with them in another printer. It helped as well to use a set of OEM cartridges instead of the previously used 3rd party cartridges, and to insert these , getting the printer into a normal condition , removing them again and using the previous problem cartridges. It was helping as well to insert them into a 2nd printer of the same kind using the same type of cartridges, and then moving them back into the first printer. It sounds a kind of stupid but that's work arounds I used in several cases. And yes, cartridges appear to be linked to each other by firmware as you describe - inserting the last one deactivates all others as well.

inkygorilla

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP-970
I can confirm such spooky behavior as well on other Epson printers as I mentioned above, and I don't really have a complete fix for it. It appears to me that the printer firmware stores some kind of serial number data of the installed cartridges and can recognize and reject OEM cartidges which you reset and try to use again. A resetter may blink green for o.k., but the printer refuses them. But they are not defect - you can work with them in another printer. It helped as well to use a set of OEM cartridges instead of the previously used 3rd party cartridges, and to insert these , getting the printer into a normal condition , removing them again and using the previous problem cartridges. It was helping as well to insert them into a 2nd printer of the same kind using the same type of cartridges, and then moving them back into the first printer. It sounds a kind of stupid but that's work arounds I used in several cases. And yes, cartridges appear to be linked to each other by firmware as you describe - inserting the last one deactivates all others as well.
thanks for your reply, its seems ridiculous that these tactics still have to be used in this day and age! plus , as a small business, i don't really have the money to buy a new set of cartridges for around £100 total, in the hope that this fixes my issue...what a mess!

Latest posts