Are the Old Printers Better !

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I don't understand this. I meant no insult. My post was only an example of a 1 pl printhead which Artur5 meant was very rarely used.
None taken @PeterBJ, I myself was merely pointing out that I would never consider looking at the PL of any print head, it’s the last thing in the world I’d ever think of, I’d sooner chance doing something that didn’t work, than reading up as to the reasons why afterwards.. :hu

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I tend to agree. Droplet size matters very little in the real world. I doubt also that if a brand of pigment ink works well on printheads intended for dye inks, the fact that the nozzles size is 1pl or 1.5pl will make any real difference. My guess is that either both perform fine or both will clog the nozzles eventually.

Likewise, those resolution numbers advertised by the manufacturers for their printers are pure fantasy,
Let's consider for instance a theoretical resolution of 9600 dpi. That’s 2.64 microns between dots.
Now, if the printhead has 1 pl droplets that would be an ink bubble of 12.4 microns in diameter, when the droplet is expelled through the nozzle, When that bubble impacts the paper, it flattens and spreads, so the spot of ink is way larger in diameter than 12.4 microns. Add to this the fact that there’s some wicking and the dot expands even more. Maybe the final size of the dot of ink when the paper is dry ends up being 30-40 microns in diameter.
Lets say 30 microns, that’s 846 dpi. Of course for bigger nozzles that figure is even lower.

9600 dpi my foot ! :p

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I tried pigment in (magenta) in an Canon IP5200 printer using 1 pl nozzle: it clogged in fast mode,but it worked in high quality mode, but using the 2 pl Canon i9950 was no problem at all. The only problem was the pigment ink (HP type) did not adhere well on the photo paper and was easily rubbed off the surface using your fingers. You can do a search on printerknowledge.com (I think about 12 years or even longer ago).

Last edited:

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I tried pigment in (magenta) in an Canon IP5200 printer using 1 pl nozzle: it clogged in fast mode, but it worked in high quality mod, but using the 2 pl Canon i9950 was no problem at all. The only problem was the pigment ink (HP type) did not adhere well on the photo paper and was easily rubbed off the surface using your fingers. You can do a search on printerknowledge.com (I think about 12 years or even longer ago).
This is the link:

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...non-i9950-a3-dye-ink-printer.3682/#post-25422

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Do the 1 pl or 1.5 pl or ..... really matter or the assumed dot size on the paper - I think the actual and visible resolution is more important, just run a test similar to this one with your Pro 9000 or I9950 or whatever model , and you can measure the dots under the microscope if you want to.

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...on-tests-epson-and-brother.13640/#post-118307

It is very important to set the driver to print the little test image with the genuine printhead resolution - 300 or 600 dpi with most Canon printers , and no interpolation or other image enhancement active in the driver