The Ultimate pigment ink test in Canon i9950 A3+ dye ink printer

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
As you might know, a few months ago I tried to put pigment ink (pigment text black) into my dye based IP6600D printer (photo magenta cartridge) and to my surprise it actually works !!!
See the picture below:

6600D-pigment%20PM.jpg

So far the printhead is still healthy and this encourages me to use my larger Canon i9950 A3+ printer to extend my experiments.

The reason for using the Canon i9950 are the following facts:

-print resolution: 4800x2400 dpi @ 2 pl versus the 9600x4800 dpi @ 1pl for the IP6600D
-as such: larger droplets, less risk of clogs due to the nature of pigment ink
-strong suspicion that the prosumer Canon Pro 9500 (10 cartridges) is actually based on the same printhead design, just have a look at the picture below:

Printhead%20scheme.jpg

As you can see: both the i9950 and the Pro 9500 have 2x5 banks of print nozzles of which the i9950 has 2 banks disabled. I think Canon has deliberately done this in order to enable the extra 2 banks in a later stadium of its development of newer (pigment) printers. This would save on development and new fabrication (lines) costs. The production of the printhead with the full lithographic process will be the most expensive/advanced part of producing new printers. So far my theoretical thoughts about the 2 disabled banks on the i9950. Note: the former Canon i990 has an extra bank disabled on the left (only red as extra colour), with still the same printhead design. Can this be a coincidence ?

I onced tried to put Epson K3 compatible pigment ink in one of my cartridges to see if my printhead can actually handle the ink and indeed: it can, but this type of ink is especially formulated to be expelled from the nozzles by a pressure change from the piezo crystal and the physical properties of this ink lead to massive ghost droplets when trying to print stroke of the same colour (in my case it was magenta) and when increasing the printing speed the printhead could not catch up with the faster speed and would cause banding. I think that the viscosity is increased inside the nozzle by the heating process, which evaporates part of the liquid medium carrying the pigments and the droplets tends to be expelled from the printhead with some delay. See picture below:

printing%20on%20normal%20paper.jpg

Encouraged by these preliminary results I asked Mikling of Precisioncolors.com some sample inks, which are compatible with the bubblejet print technology. The only ink he could provide me was the HP B9180 compatible pigment ink set which is guaranteed to work with the bubblejet technology (Canon and HP). Unfortunately there was no red (orange) and green pigment ink. Therefore I could only obtain cyan, photo cyan, magenta, photo magenta, yellow and photoblack (CcMmYK).

The following pictures showed the setup of my experiment with 6 clean cartridges filled with this particular ink:

Bottles%20pigment%20ink%20near%20printer.jpg

CcMmYK%20cartridges%20outside%20printer.jpg

CcMmYK%20cartridges%20installed%20into%20printer.jpg

Close%20look%20cartridges%20installed%20into%20printer.jpg

Now with all the 6 cartridges (CcMmYK) installed and after 2 cleaning cycles to flush out the dye ink I made a nozzle check to see, what the result was:

nozzle%20check%20CcMmYK%20pigment%20ink.jpg

Notice the * I put on the 6R and 6G nozzle band to indicate these cartridges are still dye based. I was surprised the nozzle check was 100 % OK the first time. Since the actual nozzle check printout was a bit light for the scanner I inserted the paper 3 times to make a over print over the same area to increase the intensity.

Now the question would be: is all the dye ink removed from the printhead after 2 cleaning cycles or not ? Well: I put a drop of water on each colour band and let it absorb until completely dry and made a scan again and this is the result:

nozzle%20check%20CcMmYK%20pigment%20ink%20wet.jpg

The pictures shows now clearly the difference between the dye inks in the 6R and the 6G cartridges. The pigment ink is hardly affected by water and does not run: notice the diffusion ring in both the 6R and 6G dye ink bands.

This preliminary result is quite exciting, so I started to make print on high glossy photo paper to see what the result will be, and this what I get:

testprint-02%20CcMmYK%20pigment%20ink.jpg

The above picture is printed using a custom profile to correct for the differences due to the switch from dye to pigment ink. The result is really astonishing good for this first test.

Is everything well and good ? No: the problem I think is due to the paper, which can not absorb the ink well, causing easy rub off:

testprint-02%20CcMmYK%20pigment%20ink%20pencil%20eraser%20with%20comment.jpg

Since the paper setting of Glossy Photo Paper Extra is also using the red and green inks, which is emerged onto the surface after I use a pencil eraser to rub off the pigment ink.
This particular problem has to be tackled to get satisfactory results. Printing is good, but the ink does not adhere well on this microporous paper, which is quite annoying.

Ink%20rubbed%20off%20from%20paper.jpg

As you can see on the above pictre: the ink/paper combination is far from satisfactory.
Here are some pictures I made from the sheets printed with the pigment ink cartridges installed in my Canon i9950 and see for yourself:

Example%20printout%20pigment%20ink.jpg

Example%20printout%20pigment%20ink%202.jpg

Example%20printout%20pigment%20ink%203.jpg

Example%20printout%20pigment%20ink%204.jpg

The results are far better than expected and strengthen my believe the Canon i9950 is capable to handle pigment ink well and in fact is using the same printhead design as the Canon Pro 9500 (can someone confirm this ?). The above picture how good actually the printing is.

Some thoughts about this experiment:

-the need for red and green pigment inks to complete the whole inkset
-long term printing may requires spongeless cartridges to have the ink shaken well to keep the pigment particles homogenously suspended like the original PGI-9 pigment cartridges. The PGI-9 cartridges have a spring inside to shake the ink continuously when the printhead is moving during printing.
-the right paper to receive the ink, that will not let the ink to be easily rubbed off, like I do experience with my photo paper.

Thats all folks for this moment !

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I ordered a print head for my Canon i9900, the box stated it was for the i9900, i9950 and the Pro 9000.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
pharmacist, I am not too sure if you are open to my opinion since you were not very receptive/skeptical to my suggestion previously when I ask you include "gentle rub test" as part of your experimentation in your previous test (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3048&p=2). So again just ignore my comment here if it's not useful to you.

In my preliminary opinion, the ink adhesion problem you mentioned here not so much to the microporous photo paper but rather the ink itself even though now you were using HP compatible pigment ink (which theorically should work on Canon printer which uses the same technology i.e bubblejet/thermal jet). It's not uncommon that some pigment ink may have adhesion problem and the manufacturer just have to modify the formation to improve on the adhesion aspect.

Like I said above it's still preliminary as you have dye ink in R & G in use in the above test. And also as I had no opportunity to use IS pigment ink so it's to quick to draw the conclusion.

So to see if it's the ink that is giving you the adhesion problem, you may be interested to eliminate the dye R & G in your test and then perform the "gentle rub test" again after the microporous photo paper completely dry:

Either 1 or 2

1) Print in any of these setting ( below i9950 setting uses 6 colors (BCI-6BK/Y/M/C/PM/PC and does not use R & G) )
a) Plain Paper mode, Custom High Quality (Fine 1) or
b) High Resolution Paper, standard or Custom High Quality or
c) Other Photo Paper, Standard Quality

2) Uses a q-tip and make a block(square) of each colors (pigment inks) on the microporous photo paper and after they are dry completely, perform the "gentle rub test". This don't require you to print out images or picture.

The Epson Glossy Photo Paper takes in Pigment Ink (which is the paper that I use in Set A and B as show in your previous test thread). You can also use this paper in your pigment ink experimentation since this paper is cheaper among Epson series of paper for pigment ink. Of course, other option would be using HP photo paper design for HP B9180.

I believe you had used the same microporous photo paper with your Epson printer (that uses pigment ink) and they had no adhesion problem. So by right, these paper shouldn't have the problem with pigment ink.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Lin,

I think your suggestion is worth trying. The problem is with the previous dye/pigment mixture (Epson K3 ink) I did not experience some rub off problem like this pure pigment ink version.

The strange thing is that my SihlX paper works very well with my Epson Pro 3800 printer + IM K4 pigment ink and does not rub off. But with this IM HP B9180 compatible pigment ink even putting my thumb on the paper will give a serious rub off.

To Tyamada:

Yes the printhead for the i9950/i9900 is the same for the IP8500 and the Pro 9000. You will notice that there is 2x5 banks of nozzles, but the aforementioned printers only have 8 colours (2 nozzle banks are disabled in these printers).....Hey: the Pro 9500 uses 10 colours (2x5). Is this a coincidence ?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just did a test again:

One thing: the printer was inactive for 2 days and I did the prints immediately without checking if the printhead was clogged or not. Fortunately the prints were 100 % OK so this also gives me an indication that the pigment ink did not dry up inside the nozzles.

So now I have taken a picture with my camera, to show you the actual rubbing off of the ink from the paper:

The first picture shows you the same picture on the same piece of paper, but the with different paper settings and different profiles (or lack of specific printer profile in the lower part of the picture). The upper part is done with the "Glossy Photo Paper Extra" in High Quality setting forcing the 8-colour printing modus (including the red and green inks). The lower -the off coloured version- is with the "Other Photo Paper" which used the classical 6-colour CcMmYK printing modues omitting the red and green colours.

2251_rubbing-test_01.jpg

Now see the next two pictures when I vigorously rubbed off the pigment ink from the paper and see for yourself.....

2251_rubbing-test_02.jpg

2251_rubbing-test_03.jpg

Now I hope did convince you all: the test is not fake.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
pharmacist, I believe you understood me when I mentioned "gentle rub test" is use your fingers/thumbs to "gentle rub" or rather the action of gently brushing/stroke the printout. Just like when one accidentally drop their photo on the floor and after picking up the paper, using fingers/hands brushing/stroking off any dust or debris that might have gotten to the surface of the paper. Why the "gentle rub test" is because some pigment ink have adhesion problem on the photo paper such that when the photos were held, their fingers end up picking up the pigment particles. I suppose the reason you use "Eraser" is because you wanted to show the dye beneath the pigment. Otherwise, using "Eraser" is abit too extreme.

pharmacist said:
Lin,

I think your suggestion is worth trying. The problem is with the previous dye/pigment mixture (Epson K3 ink) I did not experience some rub off problem like this pure pigment ink version.
If I recalled, your previous dye+pigment experiment was done on one color (magenta) and while the rest of the printed pictures were using dye except the magenta (dye+pigment mixture). I think this a bit hard to see effect "adhesion problem" of the if the dye+pigment mixture. In my opinion, if you just simply mix the dye +pigment on your own, you will change the properties of the ink. I don't think it's as simple as that. It takes the right formation and producting process in order to get such combination to work. I wonder if you still have a bit or left over of the dye+pigment mixture (the magenta in your previous experiment) and if you could use Q-tip test, do square block on the microporous photo paper of the color ( any empty space available on the used microporous photo paper) and do a "gentle rub" with fingers. If not, it's okay.

Now if I recalled Smile also did mix pigment & dye on PG-40 Black color before and claimed to be working well. Unfortunately, I suspect that Smile print on plain paper and didn't notice any issue on plain paper. But it would be different case had Smile tried on photo paper.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
Just did a test again:

One thing: the printer was inactive for 2 days and I did the prints immediately without checking if the printhead was clogged or not. Fortunately the prints were 100 % OK so this also gives me an indication that the pigment ink did not dry up inside the nozzles.

So now I have taken a picture with my camera, to show you the actual rubbing off of the ink from the paper:

The first picture shows you the same picture on the same piece of paper, but the with different paper settings and different profiles (or lack of specific printer profile in the lower part of the picture). The upper part is done with the "Glossy Photo Paper Extra" in High Quality setting forcing the 8-colour printing modus (including the red and green inks). The lower -the off coloured version- is with the "Other Photo Paper" which used the classical 6-colour CcMmYK printing modues omitting the red and green colours.

Now see the next two pictures when I vigorously rubbed off the pigment ink from the paper and see for yourself.....

Now I hope did convince you all: the test is not fake.
There you have your answer. Just as I had preliminary thought. I don'think it's so much as to your microporous photo paper that is causing the ink adhesion problem.

The postives note is that there is no clog issue with the ink. As it's very important for ink manufacturer to take care of clog and Kogation issue.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Mikling, just replied on your link. Sorry, but I'm very busy with my regular job and I do not have time to experiment with the pigment ink.

I will pick up the experiment later on.