Any interest in a simple Photo thread?

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Ok after some work here are the mushroom images referred to above would be SilverEfex.

These are all hand held images shot as HDR's so there are some minor sharpness issues you will see up close.

These are Lightroom images not Photoshop.

Orig_Mushroom.jpg

.....and the conversion :

Orig_B&W Derivative Mushroom.jpg

Last edited:

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Emu,

here is one viewpoint on the current debate about image manipulation. A very deep "rabbithole"

https://luminous-landscape.com/the-very-old-debate-of-image-manipulation/

RS

The "debate" is conducted not by the folks that are creative (Artists) or the folks able to do this work. My experience is that without exception they wear corduroy pants, check shirts, retired, and Leica Rangefinder carriers. Are challenged by creativity and protest that their heavily processed natural Nature images shot in Zoos are Wildlife as it is and in camera is the only way to shoot.......

Well here just for fun...100% in camera, been nowhere near ANY post processing.

One was made by hand held rotating the camera as it exposed 1Sec@ f22,ISO 100.35mm, (EF 24-105 f4L IS USM0 7.35am. the other about the same time and made by Zooming as I exposed the image...

Blur-59.jpg

Blur-94.jpg

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Now that may be down the rabbit hole, but those images are all entertaining. You must have a steady hand to maintain the image centre point as well as you have. I have never thought of doing any of that sort of thing, you live and learn. I like the zoom the most.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
An interesting picture. What did the original look like, before 3dogs special effects department took over?

Are these gum trees? Is this the sort of underbrush that poses the fire risk. I believe even Melbourne was getting worried last time.

It might be interesting to put up a picture and see what different people can make of it by editing.

Sorry for the delay in answering @Emulator

Yes these are Gum Logs and this one has been down since after 1998 when a big fire went through here. There are logs down that do show evidence of burning thus its reasonable to assume pre 1998.
The native understory here is mostly wattle and bracken, both love to burn. As you can see there is a heavy burden of Gum leaves and they are spectacular burners.

With respect to putting up an editable of the Moonlight log as I have said above I stuffed up and deleted the original a while ago.... but I am thinking to go back and find it again and reshoot.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Moving to a new computer has some unexpected benefits. I "rediscovered" this Image it was made to reconstruct the "Old Master" feel without using a painterly plug-in to shortcut the process, So I took the longer route and used a Texture screen in Layers and worked the image to fit the "feel"....

Did I achieve that do you think?

Uluru Renaissence_073 (1).jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I reckon the sprits wouldn’t be unhappy with the final results.. :thumbsup

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Yes, the background texture does look like a hundred year old painting, but I think you will have to work on the rock and the foreground a bit to convince the public!:)

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Can photography and music be put into the same class, perception has it's guises too, because it is possible to turn a bad wine into a good wine using today’s new technology..
Actually, old technology works just fine. Have three or four belts of a good single malt whiskey before sampling the wine. like magic, you've improved the taste of the wine!

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes, the background texture does look like a hundred year old painting, but I think you will have to work on the rock and the foreground a bit to convince the public!:)

Thanks for the feedback. What do you think ii could do to improve the foreground and rock? Can you give me something to work with...?

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Thanks for the feedback. What do you think ii could do to improve the foreground and rock? Can you give me some
thing to work with...?

For the record I like the image, but seeing as you asked :(

The blue channel is severely clipped in the rock. If your original file is a raw exposure you may be able to rework it to give more detail in the darker blue channel in the rock area. Clipped data is gone forever.

Foreground - Only my opinion! The red earth in the foreground detracts the eye from the significance of the startling red in the rock. My suggestions either dull it down or crop about 10% to 15% off the bottom. Will help the startling red of the rock dominate even more and in my opinion enhance the appeal of the image.

For the record I have NO artistic pretensions, being more a technocrat rather than an artist. (ie more left brain than right brain), so take the above with a grain of salt, or a little malt

RS