Another Canon Printhead Bites The Dust?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Worst cliffhanger ever. Then what?
How do you download a smiley from Google and insert it in a post and make it work? I have not succeeded yet.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Worst cliffhanger ever. Then what?

A few old posts that touch on this subject:
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/mp530-yellow-problems.7661/#post-58995
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/why-does-the-ink-turn-dark.5495/
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/i865-printhead-clogged-every-other-day.8723/#post-69385
http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...g-bands-in-black-areas.8660/page-2#post-68848
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/cartridge-flush-schedule.8537/#post-67388

In my case, the problem seemed to be related to the carts. Making sure that they deliver the ink with the same (low) suction pressure seems to have corrected my problems without touching the print head.

One point I forgot to mention was that one of the two screws holding the nozzle plate in position appears to have a reverse thread. I found one would not unscrew, so started to drill off the head and the drill dug in and out popped the whole screw! Very devious!
Had the same problem:
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/clogged-canon-print-head.227/page-23#post-2388

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you for an excellent collection of links. :)

Here are contaminated cartridges from an iP4000 I salvaged a month ago. It looks like the black leaked and contaminated the yellow and magenta.

iP4000 CMYK.jpg

All cartridges are Canon OEM, the cyan and magenta are BCI-6, the yellow and dye black are CLI-8. The cartridges do not appear to have been refilled. Looking at the ink chambers it looks to me like the black drained quickly for some reason. The purge unit was very dirty and the porous nozzle plates were totally clogged. After cleaning the purge unit and the underside of the print head, replacing the cartridge set and doing a few regular nozzle cleanings from the maintenance tab, the printer now works perfectly. As the printer is a salvaged unit, I don't know its history or what cartridges were used previously.

Last edited:

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
....snip....The purge unit was very dirty and the porous nozzle plates were totally clogged.
If the porous nozzle plates become clogged and collect ink on top, even a slight increase in cartridge suction can pull ink in the wrong direction, even for new OEM carts. It is important for the nozzle exits to remain dry.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
In my operations of flushing recycled cartridges for resale, many of the unrefilled virgin OEM yellow OEM carts come with contaminated yellow with black ink. I typically attribute this to someone who had tried to refill the PGI-5 and it leaked out. I only purchase "virgin" empties so I can't determine statistically how many PGI-5s are attempted. Many try refilling the PGI-5 with black dye ink and this can lead to yellowing of the outlet area after flushing and even soaking with chemicals the yellowed/stained outlet is permanently colored but is otherwise 100% functional.

So Grandad's comments are very relevant.

I have also gone through many used printheads that came from MP530s and iP4200s where the magenta was always being contaminated by cross contamination of the cyan. I suspect that there was a period where there was a production issue that does not show itself till years later. I also come across these now and then in the recycled carts....these may well be cases of that as well.

When you go through thousands of these carts, you pick up some patterns.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Agree with Grandad here. If there is pooling of ink atop the purge pads, then inks will "wick" through all the other nozzles and cross-contaminate everything.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
How do you download a smiley from Google and insert it in a post and make it work? I have not succeeded yet.
Use the "Image" button next to the "Smiley" button to insert the emoticon IF you are copying an HTTP location of the file. The Image button graphic looks more like a stamped addressed letter to me than a picture, but hovering your mouse cursor over the button will pop up a tiny window that says "Image". This is how I inserted the smiley file that follows:
smileys-cz-5.gif

Otherwise, copy the emoticon image using your mouse and then paste directly into your post, which is what I did for the following professor emoticon.
j0eibq.gif

I think the professor is holding on to a pointer and not smoking a ciggie like American Great Depression-era President FDR, but YMMV.

FDR+SMOKE.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I purged and conditioned one set of CLi8 cartridges with pharmacist's solution using the 2% glycerine formula and OctoInkjet's purging clip with a 50ml syringe.

It took quite some time to do the job thoroughly, but now they look gleaming white and sweaty! One thing I learned is that the purging clip sealing washer is heavier than water and readily falls out of the clip into the basin and down the plug hole. Research reveals that a suitable sized 'O' ring is better retained and functions well.

On the matter of the old print head and the small visible clog in the magenta channel, I have tried additional soaking and flushing of the ceramic head, but the clog has resisted all efforts to remove it. I wonder what form it takes, but I am reluctant to destroy the head on the off chance, just to find out!

Last edited:

Latest posts