Another Canon Printhead Bites The Dust?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Received the new printhead from CRCTasktron in its sealed foil pack. A little surprised to see a condition on the invoice:-

Please note that printheads are STRICTLY NON RETURNABLE. Please do not open the foil packaging if you do not agree with these terms

You can see why, but it doesn't say much for the level of confidence in Canon printheads or their customers (make the customer the fall guy).

However buying by credit card may give protection despite the clause.
When you spend between £100 and £30,000 using your credit card, the card provider becomes jointly liable with the seller, under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

That means if the items are faulty, wrong or simply don't show up, you can ask your card provider for a refund. Although you'll usually chase the original seller to settle your complaint, it does mean you have an extra route to claim a refund through.

The foil pack again emphasises the concern about static electricity damaging the head circuitry.

On a different tack, I have tried printing @pharmacist 's 660 patch profile target on several different paper settings. On the Pro9000 II, Paper Pro II and Platinum are supposed to be the only settings which use the red and green inks (unless someone knows otherwise). However, bearing in mind that my red is not reliable, but my green is OK, I cannot see any real differences in the patch colours, between the different paper prints.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Here is the Canon sheet which deals with how many colours are used on the different surfaces..
9000 8 colours.PNG

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Here is the Canon sheet which deals with how many colours are used on the different surfaces..

Thanks Brian, that more or less confirms what I was thinking, so I might expect to see a difference in green patches, between Glossy Photo Paper and Photo Paper Pro II and possibly the red patches with my suspect printhead. The fact that I do not, makes me wonder if the red and green contribute at all, at all and judging by the ink usage it is doubtful.

In that case I don't need to change the printhead just yet.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I agree with you,leave the old print head in place and just keep the new one as a back-up. (Handy to have)

The red and green inks are only use as highlighters and never printed as solid areas so it would be hard to see where or when they are actually used in a photo or to even noticed they were missing at all, you would wonder why the ever introduced them in the first place, grey makes more sense..

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Please note that printheads are STRICTLY NON RETURNABLE. Please do not open the foil packaging if you do not agree with these terms

My canon printhead seller said that to claim warranty in case head is defect or stops working within 12months you have to send whole printer to them and you have to use genuine ink. if they find any signs of printer being reset, you loose warranty for the head. This made me think second thoughts about getting spare head for my 6700d that is having some problems, I'll try the fairy washing liquid when I get it.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I have started the Fairy Liquid soaking process on my 9000II print head, 24 hours have passed and strangely enough, although previous tests with ammonia and window cleaner showed that all channels were flowing, the faulty red channel appears to be blocked. I am using a 20mL syringe and a rigid tube with rubber attachment onto the top of the ink inlets to test, by suction. Now the red and yellow seem obstructed although it was only the red that had the bad nozzle check. So I will carry on soaking and see what happens.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well I got this Fairy liquid bottle looks like this:
fairy-450ml-geschirrspulmittel-alle-varianten-1386711901.jpg

Will get some distilled water tomorrow and then take my 6700D head for a soak.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Now the red and yellow seem obstructed although it was only the red that had the bad nozzle check. So I will carry on soaking and see what happens.

Very strange, this happened to me when I was soaking HP500PS plotter black pigment head and decided to heat the watter + amonnia liquid to about 50C
the head was damaged.

I don't thing heated liquid should be used with chemicals that you are not sure about damaging the print head.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
It’s ok to use Warm water (Hand Hot) with Fairy but not hot water, keep it below 30c and it will be kind to your hands also..:)

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
The instruction on bottle say that 5L water and 3ml fairy should be used. The forum recommended 250ml water and 2 desert spoons is 10ml (enough for 15L water by manufacturer). This makes me worry.