Adjust horizontal print position on Canon Pixma Pro 100s

Roberto Smith

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon
I've had a Canon Pixma Pro 100s for a few years and one of the things I use it for is to print out 2 sided flags on thin cardboard. I've set up my art package so that I have two versions of the artwork that are exactly mirrored so I print one side and re-insert the page back into the printer the other side up and then print the other side. For my original printer this resulted in the images being pretty much exactly printed in top of each other (on opposite sides of the page).

I now have another Pixma Pro 100s as a back-up in case the first goes wrong. I've was printing the two sided flags on this recently, to check it works, and noticed that even with the same graphic files (that work fine on the original printer) that it doesn't print them in exactly the same place. After some more testing I've found that the newer printer prints images a little bit too far to the right. Only by about 1mm but this adds up to an error of 2mm in total and the flags are only small so it's noticeable. My original printer prints almost exactly in the middle. I've never calibrated it to do this so assume I must have got "lucky" that it's just right.

So...what I want to know is if there is a way to adjust the horizontal print position on the Canon Pixma Pro 100s? I was hoping to find something like an adjustment option to print "x" fractions of a mm more to the left or right, as it will only take a small adjustment to sort out.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think that adjustment can be made with a service tool. In a suitable service tool select the tab "Other" and scroll down to "Left margin correction", see this, click to enlarge:

ST v4718 margin setting.jpg

The service tool is v4718 and the printer under test is an MP990. For use with a Pro 100 you will need at least v5204, which can be bought from Ebay. A use of a too old service tool (lower version number) will lock access to service mode. It has been reported on the forum that v5204 works with the Pro 100, even if it is not mentioned by the seller.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Just an idea: Instead of making adjustments to the printer, could the position on page 2 of the artwork be edited so you will have two sets of artwork, one for the new and one for the old printer?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
could the position on page 2 of the artwork be edited so you will have two sets of artwork, one for the new and one for the old printer?
I wouldn’t bother changing the printer, more so change the position in your print App..

Roberto Smith

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon
Just to update this:

The version available on eBay has been updated to 2023 and in the description states that the Pro 100 and Pro 100s printers are now supported. I haven't tested the tool myself however.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266023053375