A basic guide (see post #1) to setting up ARGYLL CMS profiling on your computer

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
HI Martin: you should open a command shell and type that makeprofile.bat. Just clicking on it won't work.

Just don't use the 480target.bat to generate. My package is complete: it contains everything you need: target and the necessary files from you which you can generate your profile.

Please have your profile properly dried before reading. For some dye printers 24 hours is necessary to stop color shifting after printing.

Just make sure makeprofile is accessible in your path setting. Also make sure that a copy of adobe1998.icm is in your working directory.

So you put all the files: 480target.ti1 and 480target.ti2 and adobergb1998.icm in a directory.

Install argylllcms and make sure that your argyllcms is in your path setting of windows (see installation guide of argyllcms).

type:

Chartread -v -H -T0.4 480target

Now just read the target. When all patches are read, type d, to save the reading and close the command.

Afterwards you type: makeprofile

you will get the following warnings:

Please enter the internal ICC file name (use brackets like "x x x" for names with spaces):

(for example: My_profile_with_Argyll_CMS or "My Profile with Argyll CMS")

Please enter the (optional) copyright description (use brackets like "x x x" for names with spaces):

(for example: "Nobody has the right to distribute this profile" or nothing}

Enter the name of the .ti3 file created by the chartread command:

Here you should enter: 480target

Please enter the desired external name of your printer profile:

(for example: "My Profile with Argyll CMS")

Than it will several minutes for your computer to calculate the profile

that's all folks :)

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Martin, in answer to your question, don't forget that you can edit the CAP batch files in Notepad and re-save them under a different file name. As you are no doubt aware there are 4 Argyll command lines in each CAP file, the rest support these lines.

See also:- http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/ArgyllDoc.html

Last edited:

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Thank you for the instruction, Pharmacist... but I can't get your makeprofile.bat running..
..maybe I don't see the wood for the trees..
- If I first "open a command shell and type that makeprofile.bat" (as you said above)
there will be "enter filename ... enter name of .ti3 ... enter external name"
But then I will get a message at the end of the dos-box like "can't find the specified file"
- If I simply klick on the makeprofile.bat the batch process will begin the same way, but in the end the dos-box disappears without any result.

Emulator, thank you too for supporting my trial and error.
After the CAP480 does work with my messy file structure, how can I use this capfile with pharmacist's 480target? Do I have to modify the batch file?
- Or can I simply put the three files (480target.tif .ti1 .ti2) in the folder, where your cap480.bat lives, after removing any previous generated targen480.* files? And then choose step 3 and 4, chartread and colprof, using pharmacist's files - without step 1 and 2?

Anyway .. if I'm tired of messing around with argyll, there is the easy and accurate running colormunki software, now version 1.2 ..

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Did you put the adobeRGB1998.icc in your working directory ? This is very important, otherwise you will get the error message.

So you should put: 480target.ti1, 480target.ti2 and AdobeRGB1998.icc in the same directory

this is very important, otherwise you will the error message. The AdobeRGB1998.icc can be copied from the windows\system32\spool\drivers\color directory.

Don't give up, it will work.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Finally...makeprofile.bat is running..! :celebrate So you was right to insist, that it will work..

I think I had to move the working folder below/into my argyll folder..

One hour later: first prints turn out fine, very similar to those I printed with printerCAL (argyll GUI). The red tone prints out better, not as over saturated as with CM original software. But the contrast in the darker grey is a bit weaker than it should be, visible in the B&W center of the standard sample (outback)..

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
You can edit the individual Argyll command lines and change the shape and content of the targets. Once you have "discovered" what each Argyll command does in detail, you will be able to invent your own CAP file.:)

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Finally...makeprofile.bat is running..! :celebrate So you was right to insist, that it will work..

I think I had to move the working folder below/into my argyll folder..

One hour later: first prints turn out fine, very similar to those I printed with printerCAL (argyll GUI). The red tone prints out better, not as over saturated as with CM original software. But the contrast in the darker grey is a bit weaker than it should be, visible in the B&W center of the standard sample (outback)..

Now you should concentrate in reading: the consistency of reading it slowly and steadily is very important to obtain good profiles.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
This seems to be more important than I thought!
So I modified your ruler: with a bar of "kapa" cardboard as a guide sticked on the top and a black paper on the bottom, cutted precisely to avoid false lighting. I left the white paper on top as it glides better than the black paper.
CMrulerglider-top.jpg CMrulerglider-bottom.jpg

It's not to compare with emulators wooden carriage (see post 20) but imho effective: chartread is easier with less errors, it seems to improve also the reading of CM original targets, despite the much bigger patches!

And for the batch files: I tried to only chartread and colprof your 480target with the CAP480.bat - and it works! No wonder as the attributes of these two commands are the same in both batch files... (still having problems to keep "makeprofile.bat" running ... It seems to dislike my system)

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
See (Page 17, #166) for the later carriage.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
This seems to be more important than I thought!
So I modified your ruler: with a bar of "kapa" cardboard as a guide sticked on the top and a black paper on the bottom, cutted precisely to avoid false lighting. I left the white paper on top as it glides better than the black paper.
View attachment 5186 View attachment 5187

It's not to compare with emulators wooden carriage (see post 20) but imho effective: chartread is easier with less errors, it seems to improve also the reading of CM original targets, despite the much bigger patches!

And for the batch files: I tried to only chartread and colprof your 480target with the CAP480.bat - and it works! No wonder as the attributes of these two commands are the same in both batch files... (still having problems to keep "makeprofile.bat" running ... It seems to dislike my system)

always copy the adobe1998rgb.icc to your working directory. This is the culprit.