220/221 cartridge clearance

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
i posted about this issue before with minimal feed back awhile back. so i was wondering if anyone has run into this problem, to start with the german method is not for everyone, most novice refillers are not comfortable with that method so they use the top fill. for me it is 6 of one half a dozen of the other. so the issue is with the 220/221 cartridges in the mp560, mp640 and more than likely the mp990 (as i have not unpacked the 990 yet). when you top fill these cartridges the plug interferes with the case as the print head travels back and forth, as there is a minimal amount of clearance between the top of the cartridges and the case i have modified the cases to prevent this issue, so i ask has anyone else had this problem and what have they done to over come it

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
mrelmo said:
... the german method is not for everyone, most novice refillers are not comfortable with that method so they use the top fill.
How did you come to this conclusion?

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
after hearing about the clearance issue i took a new mp560 installed the printhead and cartridges (with top plugs), with the printer unplugged i tried to move the print head to the park position but the plugs interferred, if you have the printer powered up i believe you may strip a gear so i manually attempted to move the printhead, i know someone has after market cartridges with a recessed plug area on top of the cartridge but i will only use OEM cartridges

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
mrelmo said:
after hearing about the clearance issue i took a new mp560 installed the printhead and cartridges (with top plugs), with the printer unplugged i tried to move the print head to the park position but the plugs interferred, if you have the printer powered up i believe you may strip a gear so i manually attempted to move the printhead, i know someone has after market cartridges with a recessed plug area on top of the cartridge but i will only use OEM cartridges
Voil: you have automatically favoured the German Durchstich refill method, as this method WILL not have the clearance problem with the plugs on the top and get your printhead stucked when moving around in the printer.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just to note there is a different type of cartridge plug available that has no lip... It makes it harder to remove so you'd need something like an awl, blunted awl or similar to hook it out but it should solve the problem.

I've got some on order myself for those with MP/MG model printers and to be blunt I haven't got solid confirmation that they don't rise above the cartridge but once they're in I'll see what the skinny is and update.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
mrelmo: ... the german method is not for everyone, most novice refillers are not comfortable with that method so they use the top fill.
Without further proof, besides your experience and the few you may have read recently on the forum, please do not make such sweeping statements without qualifying them as your opinion. Otherwise, it does a disservice to the forum and new refillers trying to figure out what to do.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
with the mp560 and mp640 it is not my OPINION but my experience, the mp990 is new and i was asking if anyone has encountered this issue. as far as my opinion i would like to see a poll as to what percentage top fill vs german. my opinion on this is once the sponge area was made non transparent it may have had an effect on people filling german style, this post was not intended to do a disservice thank you

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Your experiences are valued and were not criticized, but your assumption, the one I explicitly and singularly quoted twice, was what I had issue with. I did not imply nor state your clearance issues with plugged top filled cartridges were OPINION.

A poll sounds like fun. Can we do one?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
stratman

Do we have any Polish comedians on the forum to get it started?:lol:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat:

I'd rather take a poll between you, me and your special color coded bottle top refilling bottles. :D