220/221 cartridge clearance

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
mrelmo if i went with the wax i think i would more than likely end up pushing the wax into the cartridge
I dont know either ways the rights or wrongs of sealing the hole when using the German method
but tape on the top fill method will only end in coloured tears.:hit

The best tape or any tape does not have a strong enough hold on the cartridge to prevent it leaking,
just give it time and the leak will start slowly and before you know it,
theres ink everywhere except in the cartridge that is.:ep

Youll need a complete air tight seal while the cartridge is in the printer (100% not 99%) when using the top fill method
its probably the most common mistake made by would be top fillers everywhere , so please dont include yourself in that statistic.

When using hot wax just squeeze enough onto the cartridge rather than into the refill hole
and then when cold it is easy enough to remove with the edge of a sharp knife.

Just slip the knife under the edge of the wax just a little and lift slightly then the wax will release its grip
and if any wax goes into the reservoir it wont do the ink, cartridge or the printer any harm long term at all.

Happy safe refilling..:thumbsup

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
i happen to agree with you about using tape, however i have a 4200 that i am willing to experiment with, the tape i will be using is the foil tape that heating and air conditioning people now use, the reason i think it might work, is i have duct work in my home that has both the old style duct tape and the newer foil tape, over several years the duct tape is pealing off on it's own while the foil tape is as tight as the day it was put on, if it doesn't work oh well it is a printer that is getting ready to be replaced anyways, my cartridge is half full

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
ghwellsjr said:
Until it happens to you, you probably will never believe that an OEM cartridge refilled via the German method could ever leak out of the refill hole, but it happened to me, so I'm a believer. There is no reason why you shouldn't seal the German refill hole.
Bad link.

I know it happened to you and figured you would post a reply. I agree there is no reason to not seal the Durchstich hole. I also know that it has not been necessary in my case. The paucity of posters reporting leaks lends support to my theory that other factors are involved besides the presence of a properly tapped Durchstich hole. Of course the lack of reporting may be due to unawareness of leaking in the print head, or, if there is a leak, that it is considered insignificant. It also could be due to poster apathy or the rapidity that refilled cartridges are utilized such that there is insufficient time for a leak to occur. Whatever the reason(s), your postings on your leak experience did not result in a flurry of people writing with the same experience, as I recall, which also adds, weakly, to our anecdotal data about the extent of the issue.

As always, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you have had leaking, or feel better excluding the possibility of one occurring, then seal the hole. Maybe in the future I will seal if conditions change, but I will continue to not seal for now.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
not to get off on a tangent, but i think my issues with the german method stem from me not allowing the reservior to completely empty before refilling, eventually having an over saturated sponge, and possibly the sponge pushed slightly away from the cartridge where the needle goes through, besides having a minor leak (no leak is acceptable) and ink coming out of the vent maze while filling (due to over saturated sponge?) i decided to return to top filling where i have been comfortable with it just seemed less trouble for me.

lowepg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
mrelmo said:
the reason i stopped filling via the german method because i was getting leaks from the needle hole and the hole was just large enough for the needle.
I do not have your model printer or use your model cartridges, but i find it highly unusual that you get leaking from the Durchstich hole. Something else must be in play.

1) Thermal extreme or cycling between hot and not hot.

2) An air leak somewhere else in the cartridge.

3) Durchstich hole too big.

4) Agitation of the cartridge(s) from to much acceleration or acceleration-deceleration. Your cartridges banging around from lack of clearance with the screw or plug head might be the source of agitation.

5) Squeezing of the cartridge(s).

6) Overfilled cartridge.

7) Not an OEM cartridge.

8) Something else...???

I have had zero leaks from any Durchstich modified cartridge while in the print head AFAIK. I'd bet uncle The Hat's personal refill stash that most haven't either without an additional factor (as mentioned above) in the mix. These cartridges, with unsealed refill hole, do not leak under standard operating Durchstich method conditions. (Cue ghwellsjr :frow)
Wow.... that looks like a long list of things that can go wrong with the "Risky German Method" :)

Since you are drilling a hole where no hole was ever meant to be in a cartridge (OEM or otherwise), Im wondering why folks WOULDNT cover/plug it? Kind of reminds me of the people I see riding motorcycles without helmets.... Sure- they might not get ticketed- but more importantly- they MIGHT have their melons squashed showing how fearless they are.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
lowepg said:
"Risky German Method" :)
Good grief. :he

The newer members on this forum seem to be having the greatest problems with the Durchstich method. I don't recall so many complainants since the method was publicized. Most, if not all, of the problems have been connected to user error and not the method itself. Reading the forum the past few weeks one might get the impression that the Durchstich method is "riskier" but that is not born out from historical record. You probably would find at least as many, if not more, problem posts with the traditional top hole method on this forum. It is good that there is more than one way to refill since each method appears not for all.

Since you are drilling a hole where no hole was ever meant to be in a cartridge (OEM or otherwise), Im wondering why folks WOULDNT cover/plug it? Kind of reminds me of the people I see riding motorcycles without helmets.... Sure- they might not get ticketed- but more importantly- they MIGHT have their melons squashed showing how fearless they are.
More :he

Seriously, are you suggesting the traditional top hole method drills a hole where Canon meant it to be? To compare the absolutely known and quantitative risks of riding a motorcycle without a helmet to the German method is absurd.

I get that you find the Durchstich method not to your liking, but it is unfair to demonize that method when the same potential problem list AND MORE applies to the traditional method (except for #6). Another thing to keep in mind is that you are more likely to have catastrophic failure (major leak) when things go wrong with the traditional method. Also, the traditional method is inherently more messy than the Durchstich method.

lowepg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
lowepg said:
"Risky German Method" :)
Good grief. :he

The newer members on this forum seem to be having the greatest problems with the Durchstich method. I don't recall so many complainants since the method was publicized. Most, if not all, of the problems have been connected to user error and not the method itself. Reading the forum the past few weeks one might get the impression that the Durchstich method is "riskier" but that is not born out from historical record. You probably would find at least as many, if not more, problem posts with the traditional top hole method on this forum. It is good that there is more than one way to refill since each method appears not for all.

More :he

Seriously, are you suggesting the traditional top hole method drills a hole where Canon meant it to be? To compare the absolutely known and quantitative risks of riding a motorcycle without a helmet to the German method is absurd.

I get that you find the Durchstich method not to your liking, but it is unfair to demonize that method when the same potential problem list AND MORE applies to the traditional method (except for #6). Another thing to keep in mind is that you are more likely to have catastrophic failure (major leak) when things go wrong with the traditional method. Also, the traditional method is inherently more messy than the Durchstich method.
Come on man.... I put "risky german method" in quotes AND even included a smiley after the first comment in case anyone was tone deaf to the sarcasm.... :)

I will try
//sarcasm on
//sarcasm off

from now on.

Geez....the Drip-stich zealots are SOOOOO touchy. <------- SMILEY IMPLIED!

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Before this devolves into a war (a colourful war, that is) I have a question. Since Canon top-filled and plugged the hole with a ball (silicone maybe?) why does every topfiller plug that with a cilindrical plug? Are there no ball-like plugs? Has anyone tried hot glue?

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To: Tudor

Concerning using hot glue as a plug, please see my post #13.

In post #13 I was using 'wax' when I should have been using 'glue'.

Why I used 'wax' and not 'glue' I have no idea. Blame it on the stars!!!!!

Thank you.

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To: All

When I am saying 'hot wax' I am saying 'hot glue'. I should have used 'glue' and not 'wax'.

Sorry for the confusion. My bad.

Thank you.