220/221 cartridge clearance

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
i agree the customer service has been excellent, and if i have to refill every couple of days i guess i will just have to live with it, the real test will be when i print a run of 30 to 40 photos

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks Stratman. This forum has been a God-send. I'm grateful for all that I've learned from the masters of ink refilling.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
inkadinkado said:
This forum has been a God-send. I'm grateful for all that I've learned from the masters of ink refilling.
YW!

I'm happy to participate as part of my appreciation for the tremendous help I've received here as well. Just wait till you see how much money you save having fun refilling and printing box loads. I still get a kick out of it. :)

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mrelmo
If you are printing 30 or 40 photos at a time, wouldn't it be time for a CISS?

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Does anyone know where there is a thread on this forum devoted to flushing, purging, drying the 220 221 carts? Thanks.

ipfken

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
So in case you missed it the first time :
When using hot wax just squeeze enough onto the cartridge rather than into the refill hole
and then when cold it is easy enough to remove with the edge of a sharp knife.

Just slip the knife under the edge of the wax just a little and lift slightly
then the wax will release its grip and youll be ready to refill your cartridge again. Unquote

The only way I've ever refilled is by using a silicon or rubber plug. I see that others have had some difficulty as a result of plugs fouling the printer body. My new machine (Pixma ip4850) appears to have reasonable clearance but of course it is difficult to see right inside. I have some plugs whose flange measures just 1 mm. Has anyone had a problem with similar on this machine? In the event of a problem I would appreciate advice on what brand of hot wax to buy. I am in the UK. Thanks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ipfken
In the event of a problem I would appreciate advice on what brand of hot wax to buy. I am in the UK. Thanks.
Try out your silicone plugs first before anything else by turning off the power to your printer
before installing the cartridge. You can then move the print head back and forth by hand to check for the correct clearance.

If you have to replace the plug just remember to seal the bottom of your cartridge before removing the plug.
Try Octoinkjet.co for plugs as they have a newer plug that is almost flush with the top of the cartridge,
you can get a hot glue gun in Lidl along with wax sticks ok.. :)