Your thoughts on Sponge-less Canon PGI-250 CLI-251 Refillable Cartridges? Spongeless

Al Bundy's drinking buddy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ix6820
Hello again,
Here's another mystery that's been gnawing at me. I couldn't find any videos about these, actually I couldn't find a single article on the internet that even mentioned these.

Have any of you ever seen or used spongeless Canon PGI-250 CLI-251 Refillable Cartridges? They look just like all the other aftermarket refillable 250 251 carts, but with no sponge. The photo isn't very good, but that's the only one they had.

I don't know, but it seems like the potential of a clog goes up when using these. They still seem kinda cool though.

Spongeless Canon Cartridges  5 Refillable ink cartridges for canon MX722 MX922 PGI-250 CLI-251...jpg

(cut n paste from ebay description)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Refillab...162576?hash=item1eedd4c2d0:g:pvkAAOSwR2RaS-Lf

Set of 5 Pack Empty Compatible Refillable Canon 250/251 Ink Cartridges
-A pre-made refill ink hole and transparent design make the cartridge easy to refill. the ink levels are clearly visible. No more leaks when refilling!
-Refillable Cartridges with Auto Reset Chips (ARC). You do not need to reset the cartridges manually. All you have to do is remove the rubber plug on the top of the cart, inject ink until full, put the rubber plug back in place, and you are ready to go.
-Innovative design our cartridges are sponge-less. This eliminates streaks caused by air bubbles from the sponge. Experience sharp clean prints.
-Advanced technology original ink cartridges use their smart chip to limit the number of prints.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
-Innovative design our cartridges are sponge-less.
We've seen this goat rodeo before and it generally has its share of problems.

Forum experience suggests avoid using.

I would bet your stimulus check that Canon would go spongeless and save manufacturing costs if they could.

If you do try then let us know.

Al Bundy's drinking buddy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ix6820

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you for the link. I wonder if the 15$ is for one cartridge or for one set of 5 cartridges? It looks like 15$ is also the price of one standard OEM cartridge.

I don't know the cartridges but I have tested both refillable and single use sponge type aftermarket PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridges which are the European version of the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 cartridge generation. The quality varies a lot and the most expensive cartridges are not necessarily the best.