You know you're a printer addict when...

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
do you know you can earn money with nozzle checks ? I was looking on Ebay for some vintage nozzle checks like from the original HP deskjets - without success.....they are probably very rare or lost forever, but I found a nozzle check pattern - no - not for free...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Printer-col...hash=item2a0f00b11f:m:mViqbUynNcVUbUr1fMcNwww
View attachment 3447
this is from the Ebay search window, it's probably for printers which have different nozzles for all the colors on that palette

Look at the other stuff for sale in his store.

Imitation $100 bills for $4.00 - just what Mr Putin needs :mad:

rs

SuperareTech

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP deskjet 932c
... when your family/colleagues have discussed, the possibility that medical services may be delayed in the event of a stabbing, shooting or some serious injury because they will want to check it's not just a magenta ink spill first.
Is this true? Canon red ink might be better (or worse) :confused:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Not me you understand... I am commenting on behalf of a friend. ;)
"Friend" ??

I always wanted one of those but they always seem to disappear when I start talking about work

*cue: the "Airplane" movie replay of all those suicides* ;)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Your post made me power up a HP Deskjet 930C, which had not printed for maybe a year. With the help of pharmacist's cleaning solution, paper handkerchiefs, priming tools and a syringe I got the printer going again. The tricolour cartridge is HP OEM and only little used. The black cartridge is remanufactured. The extended nozzle check shows the difference, the scanner settings are tweaked to make yellow more visible.

HP930 Ext N Check.jpg

The tap code for the extended nozzle check is "84". You can read more in the service manual(s), it is one zip archive with four files. The link in this post still works and nothing wrong was found in the download.

You know you are a printer addict, if you keep this old printer just because it is still going strong, but I like its build quality. I found four unused high capacity OEM cartridges at a fleamarket for DKK 10 a piece or roughly USD 1.50 per cartridge. I of course bought the cartridges even if a Canon iP4300 is my default printer.

I think HP DJ 930C and 932C are identical. IIRC the difference was in the warranty, one model being intended for company use, the other intended for home use.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I had one of those old DeskJet 930 printers (Don’t know if it was a C series) many moons ago, and I couldn’t wait to get rid of the darn thing, it used to eat cartridges by the hour.:hit
It very nearly cured by addiction.. :old

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
No wonder the iP4000 replaced many of these HP's. The HP78 cartridge is very difficult to refill and get working reliably. The Canon Pixma 4000 quickly became a bestseller because of unchipped refillable cartridges. Compatible cartridges were also offered on E-Bay, and many of these cartridges especially pigment cartridges ruined many print heads and maybe also mainboards. Later the manufacturers of compatible cartridges used dye ink in the "big black" cartridge.

I have two working iP4000's. I don't intend to sell them, so I think I am very addicted to good old Canon printers.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
You plan a route along printers for sale (after making a deal they pay for your diesel fuel).

First you pick up a Canon MG5250 with perfect nozzle check (after placing fresh cartridges) for €20.

Then to a PRO9500 II (advertised as defect) where the owner bought a new print head (invoice joined) because the old one was clogged, but he could not print MBK with the new head. You ask him to keep the old head.
When you see the cartridges were replaced with 3th party ones you DO NOT PLACE your own cartridges but take the whole bunch (original box included) for €40.
At home you place your (refilled Canon PGI-9) cartridges and obtain a perfect nozzle check the first time.
You place the old head, idem.
Result a good PRO9500 II with a brand new spare print head.

You drop the MG5250 at your youngest son's home (since your wife thinks you already have enough printers).

You are tired, with coloured fingers but glad with the loot for the day.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
You plan a route along printers for sale (after making a deal they pay for your diesel fuel).

First you pick up a Canon MG5250 with perfect nozzle check (after placing fresh cartridges) for €20.

Then to a PRO9500 II (advertised as defect) where the owner bought a new print head (invoice joined) because the old one was clogged, but he could not print MBK with the new head. You ask him to keep the old head.
When you see the cartridges were replaced with 3th party ones you DO NOT PLACE your own cartridges but take the whole bunch (original box included) for €40.
At home you place your (refilled Canon PGI-9) cartridges and obtain a perfect nozzle check the first time.
You place the old head, idem.
Result a good PRO9500 II with a brand new spare print head.

You drop the MG5250 at your youngest son's home (since your wife thinks you already have enough printers).

You are tired, with coloured fingers but glad with the loot for the day.

AKA - "Another day at the office"