Got a new ip4300, have questions about refilling

GrantCee

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4300, ix6520, Pro-10
Changing tac a little though, we've had no issues at all with the HP 551DW but I'm aware that we lucked out big style on the inks... When we've looked about it seems many retailers are using an "It'll do" ink that was formulated originally for earlier HP models that use the HP 950/951 cartridges but Inktec did develop something very specific for the HP970/971's.
We're using it on our 451DW and 551DW and clogs are virtually non-existent despite deliberately leaving each machine to do nothing for nearly a month just to test how clog-proof the inks are.

Sadly my printer seems to be irretrievably clogged; no amount of cleaning or purging makes the black come back to life.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Damn, that's a shame... You might have some luck filling the relevant carts with a gentle cleaning solution, priming the system and then letting time work its magic but for something like this I don't even know where to start... The service manual scared the living bejeebs out of me.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Yes I do, actually I was made famous on this website by introducing this method at this forum:).

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250

This thread is indeed of great historical interest, really enjoyed reading.

A few impressions:

- the German method is no doubt the most practical
- I seal the refill hole for carts I stock (they can leak when transported by air pressure changes)
- a scale should be used also when refilling sponge carts
- I learned the sponge carts (the fat) for pigment ink should be flushed from time to time, and I believe the dye ones also when they can't be refilled up to 20,3 g (foam building)
- a well flushed/recondionned with pharmacist solution/dried according to ghwellsjr/refilled with German method should keep a white upper sponge
- the ghwellsjr drying method is genial by it's simplicity
- actually most (Canon dye inkt series) compatibles chips are resettable, I only reuse the carts to refill with cleaning/print head conservation fluid, but when I discard them I keep the chips
- very strange that resetting PGI-9 cartridges with the (blue) CLI-5/8 resetter (except 2 colours) was not very well known
- the Canon dual sponge cartridge is a clever design, but nothing surpasses the bag-type (pigment ink) carts as PGI-9, PGI-72 etc

Thanks to all the pioneers !

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
This thread is indeed of great historical interest, really enjoyed reading.......
.....Thanks to all the pioneers !

Pharmacist also wrote an earlier instruction for German refill of BCI-3e/6 cartridges. This instruction does also apply to the PGI-5/CLI-8 cartridges

I searched for the origin of the German method at druckerchannel.de and I think this is the first mentioning of the method by Ritchman in post #11, and gurl reports about testing the method in post #12. But note that Ritchman and gurl were not the inventors of the method, in post #11 Ritchman says he saw the method demonstrated at "Praktiker" ( a DIY center/builders merchant ), so the method is older. Does any of our German members know more about the origin of this method?

Last edited: