Yellow jello

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
In the past 6 months we have received a limited number of reports (ie: 3) about yellow specific issues from users who have been using the inks over a considerable timespan (ie: years) where clogging has appeared in the yellow channels.
It is highly unlikely that OEM Canon ink is involved after YEARS of refills.

Basically I'd rather accept the chance that there's a potential issue that takes a long time to develop and provide the simple work-around
Based on the data presented, this good will gesture is admirable and smart for business.

I see you've updated your web page today (8/31/2017) on this topic at http://www.octoink.co.uk/kb/questions/186/CLI-42Y+(Yellow)+Cartridge+-+Special+Considerations

:thumbsup

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
It is highly unlikely that OEM Canon ink is involved after YEARS of refills.
That's my thinking too but as I said, I don't have the technical/chemist level knowledge so I'm not ruling anything out. After all, we would never have thought of yellow jello as being an issue until we all got an education.

Yeah, this thread pre-empted a long overdue to-do item.

I would very much like to know what is going on with the whole Canon Yellow thing though. It's even making me wonder if further education in chemical engineering is worth considering.. Perhaps something to push my son or indeed daughter towards.. *visions of wrecked kitchen and smoking child hair*... o_O Or perhaps not!

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Well there you go. I have a number of commercial users running banks of Pro-100. For these users Cymark being only one of the many, a couple days of use could easily be years of use by a normal user. The reliability of my inkset has to be as good as or better than Canon OEM. I even have large users for the pigment as well with similar requirements. I have this year driven a lab up the wall in order to pass certain compatible Canon pigment inks because the product was failing in key areas.

I will repeat like a broken record. Testing is difficult and easily slip by with no issues UNLESS you know what to look for and give it TIME. Labs will not catch it.

This week my QC caught an error by the ink mfr who supposedly has a QC lab. 20 gallons were involved. Could you imagine the affected users if we had not caught it? Phew. You thought ink selling was just buy and sell. Sorry, not at Precision Colors.

Drjim

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannon ts9020 pro100
Wow
My thread started this- I merely asked if there might be a problem with residual OEM ink in the head (cli271) when switching to refillables.

Hot topic I guess. We're on pg 3 of dialog. Its kind of interesting that something happens at high dilutions and not before.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Rather difficult to disprove a negative... I can only stand by the results we've gained directly and from independent third parties with the relevant experience.

I trust my recent update has been of value to those who wanted to know the current situation with regard to OctoInkjet.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
The "Conditions" that have to be met to "Create" the gelling effect are so mysterious that If I new the answer I would then claim to know the secrets of the universe. Move over Michio Kaku!!
It is a perfect example of " The Perfect Storm " where EVERYTHING comes together and BAMMMM it happens.
The discovery of this was totally accidental and would have not been seen had it not been because of other random events that day.
Heck I fell like I should buy me a Power Ball Ticket!
Yes that's how high the odds are!

Joe

Drjim

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannon ts9020 pro100
Remember "cold fusion" - it is real BTW but only happens at very low energies where H is trapped in a lattice.

Or OEM yellow is trapped in the sponge.

Drjim

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannon ts9020 pro100
The place to look is probably physical chemistry and properties of colloids in dilute solutions. Helpful if we knew the source of the yellow pigment- petroleum or othewise.

"Colloidal Gels Formed by Dilute Aqueous Dispersions of Surfactant ... - Springer"

Stuff like this might end mystery But we know how to avoid the problem.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Heck I fell like I should buy me a Power Ball Ticket!
Yes that's how high the odds are!

...about the same as being struck by lightning twice on the same day!

At least that is what I tell my wife, usually a sane financial professional, when she squanders $10 (Ten whole bucks) on lottery tickets. :)

Grist for another topic,

rs