stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Or OEM yellow is trapped in the sponge.
:D

I am not convinced cold fusion has moved beyond the theoretical yet, at least in a sustained manner that can also be replicated by others.

I believe mikling in his general findings and analysis, though there are lingering questions as to the universality of Yello Gello as per websnail's writings. Not all variables have been identified.

Does this make mikling the refill ink Oppenheimer? :idunno

My thread started this- I merely asked if there might be a problem with residual OEM ink in the head (cli271) when switching to refillables.

Hot topic I guess. We're on pg 3 of dialog.
I know your thread has been hijacked to a certain point. It happens. I think it has been a most productive discussion. However, since it is your thread, you can tell us to knock it off or go elsewhere.

Drjim

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannon ts9020 pro100
Not at all. I was just commenting that its still a hot topic. I also learned not to refill oem black-box cli271 yellow carts though I don't intend to.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The OEM CLI-42 Y cartridge is transparent but the CLI-271 Y is opaque, so you cannot tell when or if the OEM ink has been completely flushed from the sponge. And what cleaning agent should you use? Maybe Windex with ammonia? But certainly not plain water.

You can easily transfer a chip from a CLI-42 Y cartridge to a CLI-8 Y cartridge, but the chips on the OEM CLI-271 cartridges are paper thin, actually made from phenolic paper, so attempts to transfer a CLI-271 Y chip to a flushed OEM cartridge of another colour than yellow will result in a torn and ruined chip. I don't know if an ARC chip that can be resat using a resetter can be found and used in stead of the OEM CLY-270 chip?

Generally the use of OEM cartridges plus a resetter is considered the best solution for refilling, but the resetters for the PGI-270/CLI-271 cartridges all seem to be limited to 100 or 150 resets. After the limit has been reached you will need a new resetter. And for refilling to make sense you will also have to buy a set of empty XL OEM cartridges.

So maybe the use of refillable cartridges with ARC chips is the best solution in this case?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The Yello Gello syndrome was a bit of an atomic moment, so is it safe to come out or is there still fallout...:hide
Should we call it memories or mysteries...? :hu

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Generally the use of OEM cartridges plus a resetter is considered the best solution for refilling, but the resetters for the PGI-270/CLI-271 cartridges all seem to be limited to 100 or 150 resets. After the limit has been reached you will need a new resetter. And for refilling to make sense you will also have to buy a set of empty XL OEM cartridges.
Just on the limit thing... I was initially horrified at the idea until I worked out just how many actual refills that worked out to be in terms of cartridge sets... Turns out to be 30 sets (of 5) for 150. And there's also an unlimited version through REdSETTER as well for about 50% more than the limited for those who want them.

So maybe the use of refillable cartridges with ARC chips is the best solution in this case?
I've actually been thinking outside the box on this one... Another option might be to use a compatible "single use" chip that is reliable enough to be reset without dying and use that in place of the ARC's.

Of course the chip resetter needs to be able to compatible with the chip so there's a few issues to resolve...

As to sustaining the off-topic-ness... Apologies on that score @Drjim . I neglected to take the OP into account when I put my "and now a message from our sponsor" size 12's in it. :oops:

Drjim

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannon ts9020 pro100
The OEM CLI-42 Y cartridge is transparent but the CLI-271 Y is opaque, so you cannot tell when or if the OEM ink has been completely flushed from the sponge. And what cleaning agent should you use? Maybe Windex with ammonia? But certainly not plain water.

You can easily transfer a chip from a CLI-42 Y cartridge to a CLI-8 Y cartridge, but the chips on the OEM CLI-271 cartridges are paper thin, actually made from phenolic paper, so attempts to transfer a CLI-271 Y chip to a flushed OEM cartridge of another colour than yellow will result in a torn and ruined chip. I don't know if an ARC chip that can be resat using a resetter can be found and used in stead of the OEM CLY-270 chip?

I installed the PC cli271 carts in my ts9020 yestetday.Prints are indistinguishable from OEM.

I then printed 20 pages of pure cyan on plain paper to drive that channel to 'low'. It did. To my suprised the chip reset at low , not empty. The tank was empty but sponge still fill. So maybe firmware in 9020 is different from other 270/271 printers.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
...about the same as being struck by lightning twice on the same day!

At least that is what I tell my wife, usually a sane financial professional, when she squanders $10 (Ten whole bucks) on lottery tickets. :)

Grist for another topic,

rs
You and I, we're on the same train. My wife a very careful one with funds, more than myself. When we get into a gas station to fill up the auto, she disappears only to return with you guessed it right. Lottery tickets. She doesn't consider it squandering. Technically, you know it's a total loser's game on paper. But........