X-Rite Colormunki Photo and Profile Optimization Option

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
If you take a look at the profile file sizes Canon profile size is typically 322KB, ColorMunki typically about 2400KB, a vast difference in size.
An Optimisation in CM may add about 35KB to the total each time.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Thanks for the great book pdf.
But I'm going to have to go balk to school to understand some of this stuff! Should be very interesting.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I'm glad you have volunteered Joe!

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
As I have intimated before, most of the long educational ICC documents are such, that if you are clever enough to read and understand them, you are probably knowledgeable enough to have written them in the first place.

What I would like would be someone from X-Rite to provide us with a down to earth but fully explanatory description of the inner workings of ColorMunki. Not a video that tells little, with an almost inaudible audio, smothered with music. A forlorn hope I am afraid, it might give too much away.

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
I guess X-Rite dont want to hype their Colormunki Photo/Design due to the fact that they have the i1 Pro also in their portfolio..
Eager Printers and enthusiasts will probably directly go for the Pro solution, but when the "cheap" Colormunki does the same thing, many customers will change their minds.. .

And X Rite is also not quite happy about argyllcms and its reverse engenieered drivers >.<

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Anyone who wishes to create a variety of B&W, or colour spectrum, plain or stepped optimisation files, for ColorMunki and has PS or PS Elements can do the following.

1. In PS or PS Elements, click on File, Open a new blank file, at A4 or whatever size you prefer.

2. Type the letter G, then hold down the shift key while, clicking and holding the left mouse button, on the vertical centre, left side of the window. Draw the cursor to the centre right side of the screen and release. This will give you an even black to white gradient across the screen (assuming B&W is set, see later).

3. You can use this as a file to optimise ColorMunki, or you can convert it to a stepped gradient by clicking on Image, then Mode and then Indexed Color , then Local Perceptual. Insert the number of steps you require in the colors box and you have a stepped B&W chart.

4. If you want to produce a similar, full colour spectrum, gradient or stepped gradient chart, click on the gradient editor box immediately below the File menu heading, in this box select from the four boxes Spectrum, Light spectrum, Medium spectrum and Dark spectrum. Spectrum is probably the best and repeat the Indexed Color process with a new chart, try 30 or 100 or more colors. This chart can be saved and used as an optimisation chart.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi emulator,

many thanks for tip creating optimizing colour files. It might be possible to use argyllcms to make the same 2 step procedure to create profiles, but this time not 2 x 50 charts, but using let's say 2 x 100 patches or even 2 x 125. This way a much more superior interpolation can be obtained without the need of extra optimization charts. I will check what the possibilities of such a method will be.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Hi pharmacist, I will be interested in the result. I am afraid I gave up on argyllcms and its command line entries, I didn't get past the installation stage!! Shame on me!

I think many people must do the same, there is just too much to read, before you get any encouragement by things happening on the screen!:rolleyes:

An unknown about ColorMunki Optimisation is just how many colour shades (patches), it synthesises (for want of a better word) out of each optimisation image. It may only be a small number.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
If you look at an optimization printed chart. It is made up of a color ( presumably sampled from the optimization image used ) followed by a black one. Then another color patch followed by a black one, and so on. If the black patches between each color is only a separator, then it appears that only 25 colors are being sampled and then read by the CM during this process. There are also other black separators before and after each row. Don't what that's about but would LOVE to know!

Joe