Windows 7 start up time

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
page 3-3 has boot device priority. That should fix the issue about HD vs. SSD booting. If the migration was not done properly and the boot device priority was not selected, then the issues described will surface.

It was the screen on 3-3 and the Advanced Mode BIOS set up screens, that I was using initially and found I could not change the BIOS Priority. It seems that this only shows you what you have set up by your choice of SATA connectors.

The selection of connectors occurs at page 1-38 some days earlier!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
So the item marked in green doesn't allow you to alter boot priority? Will pressing F8 during POST allow you to choose boot from an optical drive?

Asus boot.jpg

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
So the item marked in green doesn't allow you to alter boot priority? Will pressing F8 during POST allow you to choose boot from an optical drive?

View attachment 1326

You are good at your graphics Peter.:)

If you click on the green area you get a window showing all the various drives, in a column. But if you click on, say the SSD, or any other, it dumps you immediately, completely out of the Utility, starts Windows and does not change a thing. I say any other, but I did not try the USB, that might have worked as it was illustrated in the BIOS Priorities.

I have just re-booted into the BIOS utility and although the screen does not represent an appropriate image, if you hover the pointer over the device image, the description has changed and the first one is now the SSD. This is because I changed the SSD SATA 6 connector to the motherboard SATA number one socket.

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Here is a shot of the AI Suite 3 screen.
AI Suite 3.jpg

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Update on SSD
I have been getting more and more instances of the computer "freezing" no mouse no scroll no nothing, just stops in the middle of a task. Can happen in moments or takes all day to show up.
only way out is to reboot. Always wants safe mode, but I did NORMAL, without any apparent issue being created.

Got on the net for solutions and found that other folks are having similar issues. Final straw was in the middle of processing a 'fine art' print to be, when it up and quit.

Computer guy says he has installed over a hundred so far and I am the first to see a problem:he
Ho Hum!

I could understand if I had installed myself and missed a step but this is rug pulling under feet material. They are LOOKING at it, but plan to change out the drive regardless ????

Anyone else yet?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Certainly SSD: my computers start within 20 seconds thanks to Samsung SSD's. Same too for my Macbook Air, which starts incredibly fast. It also saves energy.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Update on SSD
I have been getting more and more instances of the computer "freezing" no mouse no scroll no nothing, just stops in the middle of a task. Can happen in moments or takes all day to show up.
only way out is to reboot. ....snip....

Anyone else yet?
Win7 has never crashed on me - until this past week. I have had 4 crashes where I either saw the "blue screen of death" or totally garbled video.

About 2 months ago after a Firefox upgrade, I had an occasional problem where Firefox wouldn't shut down properly and I had to manually end the process. This problem went away after the next Firefox upgrade. I didn't keep records, but I remember doing Firefox and Flash upgrades about the same time as the recent crashes started. I'm hoping that the crashes will stop after the next upgrades.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@3dogs:

1) Check the SMART info for your drive(s) to be on the safe side. An SSD may give you no warning and fail in a blink of an eye. Make sure TRIM support is enabled as this will impact performance. Do not use a third party disk optimizing application as you would with a HDD as these may shorten the life of your SSD and offer no advantage over native TRIM support. Of course, old HDD that use platters still benefit from optimization.

2) Run scans with your antiviral, anti-maleware software of your choice. Always use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware app (free!) as part of your protection regimen. This app can save you if infected with certain nasty blackmail infections.

3) Clean up your drive(s) of unneeded apps and files (such as Temp files). A useful and free (note this now recurring theme in my post!) is CrapCleaner, now called CCleaner at https://www.piriform.com/. Clearing your browser's Cache can have a nice performance boost. Also, with HDD it was recommended to leave a percent of space empty for continued performance. There is a lot of talk about this with SSD's. Samsung has an explanation of their recommendation for Overprovisioning at http://www.samsung.com/global/busin...isite/SSD/global/html/about/whitepaper05.html.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I am using Windows 8.1 but had frequent Firefox crashes with Firefox version 30.x. This seems to have been resolved with the latest Firefox version 31.x.

Was having a lot of mini freezes while scrolling in Firefox with my previous OS Windows XP Pro and Western Digital Caviar Black HDD which I figured was due to age and/or capacity of components creating micro-bottlenecks. Now I am experience some similar stutters in Firefox despite high quality 8 month old components such as Samsung Pro 840 SSD.

The Samsung SSD came with software that allows SMART drive evaluations as well as optimization and testing tools. I just downloaded the latest version, and while it reports SMART info as all good, the OS is optimized for HDD and not SSD, something I had done when I installed everything. Maybe this new version of Samsung's Magician interprets differently the custom optimization selections I did before.

I just ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware app (free version) and everything is good. Norton Internet Security scan done yesterday and all was well.

A couple days ago had a high System Resource usage warning for TIWORKER.exe, which is a Windows Modules Installer Worker related to Windows Updates. By the time I looked at Task Manager the CPU usage was nominal as per usual. There were a number of new Windows Updates available, though. Strange that this warning never happened before. (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...nstaller/d3ab6fa2-2366-45d8-a37f-a3afe4952c53)

Last edited:

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
@stratman thanks, lot of good things to look at. I have always introduced compatability issues when Norton has sneaked onto my computers and its nigh impossible to get it off completely I think its a real dog of a program frankly. Used MWB the free version on the XP machine, butnot this one, willchange that right now!
I did not have a speed issue at all and everything seems to be functioning normally........looking at the screen gives no clue till a person tries to continue.......no mouse..no pen......no arrow keys.....somply no communication with OS!!
Will work my way through your suggestions

Cheers