Windows 7 start up time

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
In Windows 8.x the Task Manager has a tab named Performance where you can see CPU utilization, RAM usage, and the number of processes currently running. No additional application necessary.

There is much to like about Windows 8.x if you are upgrading from XP.

I heartily recommend either Samsung Evo or 840 Pro SSD drives for your operating system and applications. Traditional magnetic platter-based drives for storage and a couple other things remain useful.
Task Manager, with it's performance and process tabs plus others, has been available at least since XP...

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
I just started up Win7 home premium + Samsung 840 Evo SSD.........took around 50+ seconds from hitting the start button to Bridge opening and ready to use, and I have PS, Lightroom PTGui Topaz + + with an active portable HDD attached that also opens on start up and run Trend Micro Titanium for my on line Security needs.
With the Seagate Raptors (10,000rpm vs 7500rpm) it did take about the same as yours and the XP was even slower.......

Added, not sure if it has any bearing on start up but I have 16Gb RAM.

Cheers,

Andrew

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I just started up Win7 home premium + Samsung 840 Evo SSD.........took around 50+ seconds from hitting the start button to Bridge opening and ready to use, and I have PS, Lightroom PTGui Topaz + + with an active portable HDD attached that also opens on start up and run Trend Micro Titanium for my on line Security needs.
Sounds like a nice boot time for Windows 7 and an SSD. :thumbsup

Where the applications reside will shape the boot speed. If the operating system loads applications at boot solely from the SSD then you will get the fastest boot.

Do you have Trend Micro Titanium installed and loading from a slower external drive? If so, why there instead of the SSD?

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Sounds like a nice boot time for Windows 7 and an SSD. :thumbsup

Where the applications reside will shape the boot speed. If the operating system loads applications at boot solely from the SSD then you will get the fastest boot.

Do you have Trend Micro Titanium installed and loading from a slower external drive? If so, why there instead of the SSD?
SSD is C Drive thus all programs are on that drive, I still have the Raptors and Hybrid as alternate drives (now used for storage only) Its a bit messy, especially when editing and managing Lightroom. The original idea was to have the programs on C, and everything else on the others (inc. portables) and only take images onto C drive to process.

Re timed start up this morning from cold start with an accurate timer......64 seconds to Bridge open and ready to go.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Does a Hybrid drive interfere with the function of your SSD boot drive? I don't know but it would seem the purpose of a hybrid drive might clash with a boot drive.

Does an external drive slow down boot?

Choice of antiviral does affect boot. Exactly how Trend Micro affects your boot I do not know.

An interesting article to determine Windows 7 boot time: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/find-your-computers-boot-time-in-windows-7/. Probably not going to get much more accurate measurement than that.

An article on speeding up boot time - I hadn't thought about tweaking the BIOS but it could noticeably improve things for you: http://lifehacker.com/5821865/top-10-ways-to-speed-up-windows-boot-time.

Another article about speeding up boot with a mention of an interesting free tool from Microsoft called Autoruns: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-start-windows-7-faster/.

These were the first three entries from a Google search on "windows 7 boot time". There are more entries, of course.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Does a Hybrid drive interfere with the function of your SSD boot drive? I don't know but it would seem the purpose of a hybrid drive might clash with a boot drive.

Does an external drive slow down boot?

Choice of antiviral does affect boot. Exactly how Trend Micro affects your boot I do not know.

An interesting article to determine Windows 7 boot time: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/find-your-computers-boot-time-in-windows-7/. Probably not going to get much more accurate measurement than that.

An article on speeding up boot time - I hadn't thought about tweaking the BIOS but it could noticeably improve things for you: http://lifehacker.com/5821865/top-10-ways-to-speed-up-windows-boot-time.

Another article about speeding up boot with a mention of an interesting free tool from Microsoft called Autoruns: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-start-windows-7-faster/.

These were the first three entries from a Google search on "windows 7 boot time". There are more entries, of course.
Boot time, for me was a bonus, a byproduct of the Drives abilities. I was/am more interested in the PS image processing time as I mess with some reasonably large Multi row Pano's in F/F Raw

The Hybrid was an experiment that did not really work out, its a Seagate Momentus 500Gb and no it does not seem to be slowing things. It is a laptop drive by design, and the guy that installed it for me was also curious as to how it would work out. In the end it was slower than tr 10,000rpm Raptors. A computer tech. suggested that the Hybridisation made it faster and more stable than conventional 7500rpm. I have to take his word on that, its well out of my league!!
And again no neither the Trend, Seagate external, nor Tablets and assorted goodies added since start up have had ANY effect so far.

I did go through a phase of chasing ridiculous Boot Times, it was fun but of academic interest only as I am not a gamer.

Cheers,

Andrew

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Thanks to all for all the interesting stuff. My SSD is a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (E & F drives) and I have migrated all operating system files from the 1TB C drive to the SSD, using the Samsung software. I must check whether the SSD is now the boot drive!

I clearly have not sorted the system out yet, there are so many options!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You wouldn’t catch me using an SSD type hard drive not because of the reliability but more like their durability, I’m sticking with the old reliable spinning disk type with 64 MB cache and my boot time of 68 seconds, I haven’t had one fail on me yet touch wood.. :cool:

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
You wouldn’t catch me using an SSD type hard drive not because of the reliability but more like their durability, I’m sticking with the old reliable spinning disk type with 64 MB cache and my boot time of 68 seconds, I haven’t had one fail on me yet touch wood.. :cool:

Thats pretty quick for platters. I have had mixed fortunes with HDD's. I am up to 6 years now and no internal HDD has yet failed..:pop But I have 3 dead spinners of the 1TB portable variety and a little 500Gb pocket HDD is very sick. For some reason they corrupt:idunno and stop talking to me:hit

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I was referring to the normal 2.5 sized hard drives :drool and not the compact laptop ones which I don’t like either, the MBR on them can be a bit dodgy at times, I’m a bit corrupt myself, but no worries I’ll still talk to you.. :lol: