Windows 7 start up time

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I find my computer start up time using Windows 7 Prof is about 2 minutes 50 seconds. This seems over long when sitting there waiting. Have I failed to apply short cuts?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Your computer has some impressive specs, and Windows 7 has a much shorter start up time than Windows Vista.

Have you noticed that a new computer with very little software installed is very fast to start up. With more software installed the start up time increases, as more programs also need to start and run in the background. Could some of the installed programs be set to not start at boot time but first when needed?

When my Windows 8 computer was new it had a very short boot time. With install of several programs it too slowed down considerably, even if I try to avoid installing "Nice to have" programs and only have installed what I consider "Need to have" programs.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
As PeterBJ posted, with installation of applications come slow downs on boot (and even shutdown) when those applications load processes at boot time instead of when you actually click to start up the application. This is commonly caused by the software creators to speed up the start of their programs. Some apps load at boot to monitor or enable certain functions or to check for updates of software. Who hasn't seen the Adobe Reader update soon after booting, that is if you have the app set to inform you of an update instead of set to automatically update in the background without your awareness.
The following should not be done without great care and thoughtfulness as alterations can cause malfunctions in the use of your computer. It is not rocket science but you do need to pay attention.

The key to speeding up your boot time is to inspect the processes/services that are loaded at boot and stop those processes/services that are unnecessary at boot. After you boot up and before you open up applications, open up the Task Manager. I don't know about Windows 7 but in XP and Windows 8.x press Control-Alt-Delete simultaneously to get to Task Manager. Inspect what apps are loaded at "Startup", the "Processes", and the "Services". What you want to know are the actually file names of the Processes so that you can then Google each one to find out what it is and whether it needs to be loaded automatically at boot or whether you can stop it or change it to manual (ie when you actually start up that specific application and not at boot).

To stop processes from loading at boot, start up "Services.msc" via the Run function in Windows and then Start/Stop/Disable as you please. Then check to make sure the application still functions by manually starting it up. Some processes I disable at boot, such as O&O Defrag, need to have their process re-enabled or started before the application will function - a small PITA but considering I only use that specific app once a month or so the hassle is far outweighed by the perceived/real benefits.

In Windows 8.x you can find the Process file names under the Task Manager tab named "Details". The Startup application file names can be found by right clicking on the Name and then clicking on Properties. Do a Google search on these file names of Processes as mentioned above. This is a laborious task but the payoffs can be very satisfying with faster boot times and potentially snappier performance overall.

One web site to assist you with Windows 7 in this quest, or anyone else with other versions of Windows, is Black Viper -- http://www.blackviper.com/. I have used this site over the years with excellent results. Black Viper has never let me down.

Other reasons for a slowing boot is malware and the need to update hardware components such as microprocessor or RAM memory.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Thanks for the detailed replies. I use CCleaner to generally clear up residual content, cookies etc. It has a function covering start up programs and I have tried removing all but what to me seem essentials and I have just tried putting them all back in, but with surprisingly little change in time.

The process is slightly more complicated as the CPU is over clocked to 4.4Ghz, and the RAM to 2.4GHz using the semi-automated ASUS AI Suite 3 in 4 way mode.

There is a video shutdown/open up, in the middle of the boot - not sure why. I suspect that the overclocking software may be adding processes to the boot up time, but I am not sure. It is all a learning process!! Does 2 minutes 50 seconds seem long compared with your systems?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Windows 8.x boots so much faster than XP Pro despite many more processes loading at boot.

Maybe a hard drive defrag might help. SSD drives should not be defragged.

Would an unstable overclocking increase boot time?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
My Win 7 (Home Premium) boots fully in about 40 seconds or less, but I have a Solid State Cache Drive...

How do you define the "end" of the boot time??

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I also have a SSD cache. End of boot time I reckon is when you can click on an application and it activates. 40 seconds is very much better!!

Yes I think an unstable overclocking would, but ASUS AI Suite 3, follows a quite thorough routine of testing up to an unsafe limit and then sets a level with a margin of safety. I am not sure, but once set I don't think it attempts to change anything under subsequent boots.

Having reset all the original start up files to on, the system takes about 20 seconds less time to boot! The C hard drive is stated as 0% fragmented.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
A Windows 7 desktop gadget i like is the rev counter style CPU and RAM meter. When the CPU meter drops to "idling" ie showing only a few percent CPU load, the computer has finished booting. Sadly the desktop gadgets are not available in Windows 8 as Microsoft consider them a security risk.

CPU-meter.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
A Windows 7 desktop gadget i like is the rev counter style CPU and RAM meter. When the CPU meter drops to "idling" ie showing only a few percent CPU load, the computer has finished booting. Sadly the desktop gadgets are not available in Windows 8 as Microsoft consider them a security risk.
In Windows 8.x the Task Manager has a tab named Performance where you can see CPU utilization, RAM usage, and the number of processes currently running. No additional application necessary.

There is much to like about Windows 8.x if you are upgrading from XP.

I heartily recommend either Samsung Evo or 840 Pro SSD drives for your operating system and applications. Traditional magnetic platter-based drives for storage and a couple other things remain useful.

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have W8.1 Pro and I can boot to a usable desktop from a cold boot in about 18 seconds. This is thanks to using a Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256G.
A SSD is the single most bang for your buck you can get for boot speed up. I'll never have another computer without one.