Windows 10 Free Update Offer

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Win 10 is here now whether we like it or not, and frankly if you like Win 7 / 8 then you won’t mind the small learning curve, the sooner you get started with the new O/S the more you’ll grow accustom to it, Win 8 is far better than 7 is in my opinion. :caf

Win 10 will be much like old age, there will be no going back, it’s the final one and we don’t have much choice, do we ! I reckon we’ll have to make the switch to Wi-Fi after that..:old

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Win 10 ... it’s the final one
Maybe, maybe not.

According to Microsoft's Windows lifecycle fact sheet, Windows 10 has an end of mainstream support October 13, 2020 and an end of extended support October 14, 2025.

I doubt Microsoft will lose revenue by continuing to update an operating system forever without some fee eventually. Microsoft has trademarked "Windows 365" earlier this year which has led to speculation of a subscription-based OS in the future (think the web-based Office 365).

One thing's for sure, eventually everyone will be leaving Windows 7 and 8 in the future, but one may not have to until 2020 or 2023, respectfully (see above link).

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Win 10 is here now whether we like it or not, and frankly if you like Win 7 / 8 then you won’t mind the small learning curve, the sooner you get started with the new O/S the more you’ll grow accustom to it, Win 8 is far better than 7 is in my opinion. :caf

Win 10 will be much like old age, there will be no going back, it’s the final one and we don’t have much choice, do we ! I reckon we’ll have to make the switch to Wi-Fi after that..:old

WOW The Hat. You surprise me. Unrestrained endorsement of Win 10 from the man why counsels NOT to update our printer's firmware because of the printer vendor's nefarious intent in a few lines of eprom code.

You may be right. Personally, and based on Microsoft's past record, I need to see something of substance before making a commitment.

Time will tell. And if past Microsoft releases are anything to go by it could be something of a crap-shoot for early adopters.

RS

Subsequent edit - figured I should included something of substance to validate my thoughts. See thus post from:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56131315

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Also like to think that behavior pattern is called experience, AKA "common sense" and the like. Or as the old saying goes, "All that glitters is not gold."

Now I will go and get my 3 month old camera with the big new lens out of the trunk of my 8 year old car.

RS
As another "old guy" I'll add, "if it ain't broke don't fix it", and reject the phrase, " the new, improved...(Insert product name.)"

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
As another "old guy" I'll add, "if it ain't broke don't fix it", and reject the phrase, " the new, improved...(Insert product name.)"
Agreed i will not be touching windows 10 no bit locker AFAIK and no windows media server, same goes for windows 8 no decent command menu bars, bit locker only in enterprise version and windows media centre costs extra in windows 8 as just a few obvious reasons... Thanks but no thanks. Very happy to stay with my windows 7, XP Mint and Arch machines. Relatives laptop with windows 8 is a nightmare to use compared to all those.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I'm still on XP. I have two BCI-6 printers in current use plus two in reserve. One CLI-8 in use and two in reserve. At my age that's a lifetime supply of refillable printers! One of my BCI-6 printers is on my wife's Win7 computer, so I expect that my Stash of printers will have drivers compatible with Win7. Win8 is of no interest to me, and I don't know if Win10 will have the drivers for all my printers. My XP computer is working just fine and suits all of my needs as does all the software I'm using.

My dilemma is, do I buy a new computer while I can still get it with Win7 just to hedge against new computers only being available in the near future with win8 or win10!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'm still on XP.
My 91 year old uncle bought a new Windows 8.1 computer earlier this year as an upgrade from XP. He had help setting it up but is doing everything he wants except for the relative cumbersome inflexibility of Mail in selecting email recipients from a group/list. The new Windows 10 is supposed to have much more functionality in the Mail app.

I don't blame you for wanting to stick with something that works for you. BUT... XP is at higher risk for security issues if used online. No more Microsoft updates for XP. Recommend you update to newer operating system, especially with the offer for free upgrade later if you so choose. Otherwise, store nothing personal or of value on the XP machine.

Experience on this forum alone has demonstrated that BCI and CLI based printers will function fine with Windows 7 and 8. I expect they will with Windows 10 as well.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
My 91 year old uncle bought a new Windows 8.1 computer earlier this year as an upgrade from XP. He had help setting it up but is doing everything he wants except for the relative cumbersome inflexibility of Mail in selecting email recipients from a group/list. The new Windows 10 is supposed to have much more functionality in the Mail app.

I don't blame you for wanting to stick with something that works for you. BUT... XP is at higher risk for security issues if used online. No more Microsoft updates for XP. Recommend you update to newer operating system, especially with the offer for free upgrade later if you so choose. Otherwise, store nothing personal or of value on the XP machine.

Experience on this forum alone has demonstrated that BCI and CLI based printers will function fine with Windows 7 and 8. I expect they will with Windows 10 as well.
I think I'll move on to win7 now, as the free upgrade to 10 has already shown up on my wife's win7 computer and will undoubtedly do the same on my new one. I can cruise along with 7 until we have solid reporting of all my old printers working on 10.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Ah! the joys of moving off XP..........the last real piece of platform software ever created........I hasten to add, in this case my opinion, but I suspect sadly (in retrospect) to be found to be so :cool:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
WOW The Hat. You surprise me. Unrestrained endorsement of Win 10 from the man why counsels NOT to update our printer's firmware because of the printer vendor's nefarious intent in a few lines of eprom code.
Hang on a minute there @Roy Sletcher, I am a big Microsoft critic and proud of it, so I am not endorsing Win 10, what I said was it’s here so get use to it.:th

I would advise guys to wait awhile and not jump at the new O/S because it’s free, there’s bound to be teething problems so six months should be about right, I’ll be upgrading when I’m told it’s good for me to move.

Now as for the Printers, I whole hearty standby what I said about not upgrading a printer’s firmware, it usually fixes the manufactures side of the hole and not our side so if a printer is working as it should then don’t get sucked into upgrading it.

Mostly what I’ve heard is if your printer will work in Win 7 then it will work in Win 10 and that is what I will be relaying on when I ultimately take the plunge, Win 7 has never been good for me, it reminds me to much of Win Me. :(