Windows 10 Free Update Offer

crenedecotret

Print Addict
Reaction score
Here is one way... this will enable the old Aero theme from Windows 8. The active window will have a red "X" button.
http://winaero.com/blog/enable-the-hidden-aero-lite-theme-in-windows-10/

In Windows versions from 95 to 8.1 inclusive it was easy to determine which window was the active one. It was easily seen from the colour of the title line of the active window, but take a look at this Windows 10 screen shot. Can you spot the active window? Can I change a setting to make the active window stand out?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you for the tip, it works with the closing button marked in red for the active window only. But how do I remove the colour from the title lines of inactive windows. See this:

iP4300- W10-1.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Thank you for that snipe it @stratman, it’s certainly food for taught.

The next time you see a dark sedan parked across the road with two shady characters inside, it might just be your pizza delivery.. :drool

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
In Windows versions from 95 to 8.1 inclusive it was easy to determine which window was the active one. It was easily seen from the colour of the title line of the active window, but take a look at this Windows 10 screen shot. Can you spot the active window? Can I change a setting to make the active window stand out?

i965-w10-jpg.3140

Yep the one with the printer and the ink level indicators is the active, even though you tried to trick us into thinking it is the german warning "!" point window with the ok button and that is what it looks like from the task bar ;).

You can tell because the title bar in the active window has slightly darker text and a darker "X" (close button) though i agree its something new i do not like either (windows 8 with certain themes is the same).

My windows 10 machine i set up here is just to basically learn new features because i know work will sooner or later upgrade and all the sheep will run to me when things go wrong asking for help. As far as actually using it at home......... Nah windows 7, Linux and an old XP machine is how things will stay for me.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You can tell because the title bar in the active window has slightly darker text and a darker "X" (close button) though i agree its something new i do not like either (windows 8 with certain themes is the same).

You are right, but this is difficult to see on the less than perfect display on my laptop. I wonder why Microsoft won't allow a more traditional setting? I think it is very annoying not to be able to immediately identify the active window.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Out of curiosity I have tried replacing my 500GB Samsung SSD with the 250GB Samsung SSD that I used to use, both SSDs contain other software and Win 7, but at different historical generations of data. Both were installed with the Samsung software and run Win 7 quite happily.

Win 10 tried to update but came up with the same "We couldn't update the system reserved partition", pursued further gives Windows Update error 0x80070057(2015-08-09-T-07_18_48A), neither of which provide any help or explanation as to the real cause.

Wikipedia however gives this:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Reserved_Partition
and subsequently https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diskpart

I think this is beginning to indicate where the problem of incompatibility between Samsung SSD formatting and Microsoft disk formatting is to be found.

Last edited:

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
You are right, but this is difficult to see on the less than perfect display on my laptop. I wonder why Microsoft won't allow a more traditional setting? I think it is very annoying not to be able to immediately identify the active window.

I totally agree with you, even on a good display you probably have to look twice if you have lots of windows open, it does seem a rather silly decision. There is an unofficial theme floating around (i think it was called something like aero-lite) which allows inactive windows title bas to be set as a different colour to the active one. Why MS did not offer one thereself i have no idea.

Out of curiosity I have tried replacing my 500GB Samsung SSD with the 250GB Samsung SSD that I used to use, both SSDs contain other software and Win 7, but at different historical generations of data. Both were installed with the Samsung software and run Win 7 quite happily.

Win 10 tried to update but came up with the same "We couldn't update the system reserved partition", pursued further gives Windows Update error 0x80070057(2015-08-09-T-07_18_48A), neither of which provide any help or explanation as to the real cause.

Wikipedia however gives this:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Reserved_Partition
and subsequently https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diskpart

I think this is beginning to indicate where the problem of incompatibility between Samsung SSD formatting and Microsoft disk formatting is to be found.

As explained it is down to the software that you cloned the install with to the SSD. or just used to setup the SSD in the first place. I think the bundled/free download Samsung software at the time was based on old Norton backup (just had basic rebranding to the interface). The ways to sort that are either the reddit link gave earlier or one of the solutions i gave in this post...
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/windows-10-free-update-offer.10045/page-8#post-85111
The last solution (IE get rid of the system reserved partition) you can do with diskpart or to make life easier proper partitioning software (google for thousands of different apps). The other possible way i can think of is rebuilding the MBR, though id only do that as a very very very last resort.

If you now have a 2nd and older win 7 install you can play around with it may be worth experimenting, technically re-cloning that drive with decent software (some of which i mentioned earlier) and then restoring it may also cure the issue.

It is annoying i agree with you on that but it is hardly the fault of MS, ill withdraw the earlier not Samsungs fault statement as technically even though its not their software which was offered with SSDs they should had looked at it more before signing a deal for cloning software with a third party (in this case as said i think it was Norton).

The good thing is even though all solutions require some fiddling none of them should take too long. A couple of hours of so. Look on the bright side its something new to learn and the knowledge may help in the future. :)