Windows 10 Free Update Offer

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Agree so I am going to put it off till the 11th hour........too many issues for my liking.

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
Oh its easy delete them here new feature in windows 10 to delete previous versions of windows.

I Made update on my same C drive where was windows7/8.1 64 bit installed. late edit.

Last edited:

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
I am update to windows 10 there is windows old folders 7 and 8.1. (They use large capacity space on disk).

Hmm although i have not done a UPGRADE install of windows 10, that seems strange. Renaming of the windows folder to things like "Windows.OLD" or similar naming, normally only happens if you have had a corrupt install and did a repair, or you have attempted to reinstall windows on the same drive. AFAIK that should not happen when performing an UPGRADE from one version to another. Did you do anything manually during the process?????

Oh its easy delete them here new feature in windows 10 to delete previous versions of windows.

EDIT OPPS: I obviously spoke too soon, yeah i spose that makes sense to allow you to re-downgrade if you wanted.

I would be interested if anyone that has done the windows 10 upgrade, has checked what key code it now uses (IE same as prior win7/8 install or has it changed) and if using that key would allow people to do a complete fresh install with the ISOs available (as mentioned earlier in the thread).

W. Fisher

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epsons, Canons, Brother.
I bought the 8.0 disk. Within a few months they updated mine to 8.1. So far, I haven't gotten the 10 notice and I doubt I ever will since something went askew in the 8.0 to 8.1 transition and mine hasn't upgraded anything since last year. Even the Mr. FixIt Tools and Restore doesn't work to fix it. It's busted for any updates from MS.

No doubt 10 is free and MS will be making money off the data it collects (Something like 13 privacy things need to be closed in it from what I've read that are set open by default.). Not to sure about the auto-update either as it might trash another program to not work. Seems a bad idea as the auto-update to 8.1 is what trashed mine (before they yanked the bad patch).

Plus, if you need to restore, will it require you to load 8.0 or 8.1 and then upgrade to 10 again? My only hope to fix 8.1, according to the MS guru, is to go back and start over with my 8.0 disk, update to 8.1, and then await the 10 upgrade notice to get there. Option 2 (of his) was to buy the 8.1 disk with a serial for that version and start from there and toss out my 8.0 disk. What a pain to pay for two OS versions of 8!

Think I will wait until 2016 and "buy" the 10.0, 10.1, or 10.2 flashdrive or DVD or whatever version is "Boxed for sale" and install from that than going back to 8.0 and starting all over and deactivating and re-loading software which takes me forever. I got a feeling residual stuff is left behind from prior OS versions that I'd rather not be there and just start cleanly.

Will.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
@Grandad35
Right click on a "Failed" Upgrade to Windows 10 Home entry and then left click on View Details. Amongst the info in the pop up window will be an error code and maybe a helpful link for an explanation. Check all the failed listings to see if they are the same or different

The point is that I don't want to upgrade and that I never asked for nor accepted their offer to upgrade. I am overjoyed that the upgrade failed and that I don't have to restore my system from a previously saved image. Has MS decided that they own our computers and that they can change things when and if they see fit? Has this happened to others?

@CakeHole
Thanks for the link - I stumbled onto a variant of that approach a few hours after my initial post and it seems to have stopped MS's unauthorized (and potentially illegal) takeover.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610

Interesting so possibly retail keys are different to downloaded version keys. I may do some experimenting

The point is that I don't want to upgrade and that I never asked for nor accepted their offer to upgrade. I am overjoyed that the upgrade failed and that I don't have to restore my system from a previously saved image. Has MS decided that they own our computers and that they can change things when and if they see fit? Has this happened to others?

@CakeHole
Thanks for the link - I stumbled onto a variant of that approach a few hours after my initial post and it seems to have stopped MS's unauthorized (and potentially illegal) takeover.

No problem @Grandad35 there are also a couple of other KB updates i think can be removed if it continues to bother you in future, but hopefully that has solved it :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The point is that I don't want to upgrade and that I never asked for nor accepted their offer to upgrade.
I understood that perfectly in your first post. My suggestions were to enable you on how to figure out what was happening so you could resolve it to your liking, not to upgrade to Windows 10. The rest was to share your new found knowledge with the forum.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II

@CakeHole

Thanks for that information, I have successfully applied all your measures and am now rid of the repetitive process of failure to download Win 10.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
@Emulator and @Grandad35
Just to be sure this does not happen again in future i suggest you only download recommended and security updates in windows, do not download the optional ones, or if you do only download optional updates which you know you want (IE .NET upgrages, language packs etc) optional updates is where a lot of the windows 10 updates have came from. Anyone that does not download those should not even ever see the "free upgrade" windows 10 notification, let alone have to deal with the agony of it trying to install :)

Latest posts