Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Last edited:

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Been doing a little more research on the Win 10 failure to download issue and this reference gives a little more info on the depth of the problem with SSDs. Not the sort of activity that I would wish to indulge.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/6586-windows-10-will-not-upgrade-partition-issue.html

I think your problem was always more it will not install rather than download, the ways to fix it i detailed much earlier, you could try resizing that reserved partition also but its probably easier (as suggested in one idea) to just get rid of it and let windows repair it rather than playing guess the right partition size. If it were me personally id probably start entirely fresh. £50 on a new SSD, reinstall windows 7 then run the windows 10 download ISO to upgrade (or if you have a win 10 key just striaght install that). YOu can swap back and forth then if needed and import your data files across as and when you want rather than at upgrade time.

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
You can download it to USB?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I think your problem was always more it will not install rather than download, the ways to fix it i detailed much earlier, you could try resizing that reserved partition also but its probably easier (as suggested in one idea) to just get rid of it and let windows repair it rather than playing guess the right partition size. If it were me personally id probably start entirely fresh. £50 on a new SSD, reinstall windows 7 then run the windows 10 download ISO to upgrade (or if you have a win 10 key just striaght install that). YOu can swap back and forth then if needed and import your data files across as and when you want rather than at upgrade time.

It relates to exactly the same error message I received and as far as I can tell the same problem.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
You can download it to USB?

Yes you can download the ISO file to your computer from the earlier mentioned Microsoft link (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO) and mount that to a USB stick to install it rather than burning a dvd. For a fresh install or upgrade. Use this tool... http://rufus.akeo.ie/ to burn the ISO to USB

It relates to exactly the same error message I received and as far as I can tell the same problem.

No your problem was the update would not install, though it downloaded fine. The underlying problem in the link you pointed to is the same but the reasons for the issue are different.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
No it did not download. It took a couple of minutes from switch on to throw up the error and cancel the update.

But now of course it doesn't even do that since I pulled it's plug.:):ya

Last edited:

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I looked back through update history and found 105 Win 10 Pro update "failed" entries.

I am still of the opinion that the Samsung software which formats the SSD for its own purposes and specifically says compatibility only extends up to Win 8.1, blocks the Win 10 attempt to modify the disk format.

I see from reading MS web pages that the Windows format management commands have changed in recent versions.

In scanning the web, there also appear to be other conflicts with other products between Samsung and Microsoft.

No doubt Samsung will eventually bring out a Win 10 compatible version, in their own time and by then Win 10 may be improved.

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Given the situation we have here with a couple of laptops, two desktop PC's and the odd old machine knocking about I think my approach to all this is going to be:
  • Take our newer (but not mission critical) laptop
  • Create solid backup of the whole SSD disk using Macrium Reflect
  • Restore the backup onto the original standard drive we pulled out of the laptop some time back
  • Test that everything boots, runs, loads, etc... (ie: that the backup worked!)
  • Assuming success, apply the upgrade to the standard disk (not the SSD) and play with the new version.
If that all pans out I'll probably upgrade the home machine in about 6 months time (following another macrium reflect backup) before pushing the others forward.

At least one of those machines will need a new business license rather than the free upgrade but as folks have noted already that's likely to happen throughout.

All in all though the one thing that keeps being knocked out by those with hard and bitterly won experience... BACKUP everything first... I suspect those old 500Gb hard drives are going to come in useful after all.

Anyone done any work using dual boot setups by the way? (ie: Win7 & Win10 on the same machine).

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
I looked back through update history and found 105 Win 10 Pro update "failed" entries.

I am still of the opinion that the Samsung software which formats the SSD for its own purposes and specifically says compatibility only extends up to Win 8.1, blocks the Win 10 attempt to modify the disk format.

No way is it anything to specifically do with the drive, it is a config issue. Plus you do not even need to use the samsung software. There is clearly something wrong with your install of whatever version of windows you currently have, if you want windows 10 then i would personally start from scratch.
I see from reading MS web pages that the Windows format management commands have changed in recent versions.
From win 8 to win 10 there is basically no change in that command structure. Your problem is for whatever reason a system reserved partition is set up wrong, you can basically either live with it or follow the steps to fix it others have provided, and AGAIN remember to backup first.
In scanning the web, there also appear to be other conflicts with other products between Samsung and Microsoft.
You could find reports of all types of gear having issues from various manufacturers on the web, when it is not the hardware at fault. There is nothing wrong (assuming its not failing) with your SSD drive. It is how your windows install is configured, nothing more.
No doubt Samsung will eventually bring out a Win 10 compatible version, in their own time and by then Win 10 may be improved.
The drive is perfectly compatible. The amount of reports you have read about people blaming samsung drives are in significant. There are likely tens of millions of drives out there from samsung and a few reports, even a few hundred reports that windows 10 wont install are obviously wrong, the reports would be in a far greater number if that were the case.