Why is the CX3810v cheaper than the C88

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
The C88 is $99, the CX3800 (all in one) is usually $89 in most office supply stores, and the CX3810v (Wal-Mart, Target) is usually around $69. Is there any significant difference (quality-wise) between these models that would explain why the standalone printer is more expensive?

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Besides price you may want to ask youself why you want an Epson printer. The difference of $20 really means nothing comparing to the cost when you buy ink cartridges later on for the printer. Epson probably sold a lot of R200/R300 series printers but many of these printers are tossed after the original set of ink is used up. Price for these printers was as low as in the $30 - $40 range. But after 10 maybe 20 8x10 photos later a $100 bill for a next set of ink cartridges will be a wakeup call too late.

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
I am planning on using refills with the printer. I plan on doing a large (but not print-shop level) amount of non-photo document printing, and my refill experience with HP has been completely unsatisfactory. I do not like Epson either, but I don't like the idea of Canon's new chipped cartridges and the fact that the printhead will eventually fail. I don't plan on using Epson's ink in the printer at all, and since I plan on printing steadily, I don't forsee clogging issues. Epson is the only brand I know of where I have seen multiple positive reviews as far as being able to refill or use a CIS for an extended period of time, rather than hit-or-miss compatibility (HP) or continual printhead replacement (Canon)

roytje

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
Besides price you may want to ask youself why you want an Epson printer. The difference of $20 really means nothing comparing to the cost when you buy ink cartridges later on for the printer.
At www.printeradvice.com there's a print cost calculator (and also a cost calculator for photo printing), you can use this calculator to calculate the print costs for more than 40 printers!

Dan@blue-optix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I hate to say it but the Printhead in your Epson will fail too, they are a service item, but unlike the Canon which just requires the user to change the head you need an engineer to change the Epson. The Epson heads are VERY suseptable to blockages, regardless of what reviews you've read (coming from someone in the ink/re-filling undustry)

Regs,

Dan

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Few things to note as an aside here.

The C88 and the CX3800 are not the same spec printer.. At a guess the printer unit in the CX3800 is more akin to the C68 in terms of speed and driver functionality and having seen one used, if you're planning on doing numerous printouts you're going to get bored waiting. The C88 on the other hand is pretty nippy and will output slightly slower than a Canon iP4000 or similar.

What Dan says about the printhead is not actually relevant in so much as the printhead won't burn out and is likely to last a whole lot longer than a comparable Canon or HP inkjet... I make this assertion based on experience of the C84 printer which has run around 80+ cartridges through and still going strong. However the key thing with the Epson pigmented (C series) printers is that you do have to watch out for clogging. Mostly this just means you need to print regularly and occassionally run a head clean (more than you would with a Canon printer)..

I've gotten to the point where I keep some cleaning fluid filled carts around for times when I know the printer will just sit for a bit or requires a stubbourn clog disolving.. It's not hard but the key is always patience.

If there's anything to watch out for with the Epsons it's the waste ink - service required issue.. but for the C88 you just need to check my site (see sig link) for instructions on how to fit an external waste ink tank.. Of course there's no way to actually reset the printer at this time either but that will come with time.

If I'm completely honest the Epsons aren't my printer of choice anymore but that's because I've been able to adapt even the new Canons to use CIS kits and not run up massive consumable costs. Printhead issues I've had with the Canons have been down to poor ink (from 3rd party pre-filled cartridges) and that fact that I've been "experimenting" but they do have a shorter shelf life compared to the Epsons...

All in all each printer has its downside but as you said for sheer ease of use with refilling, CIS's and quality ink the Epson C88 is the one I'd recommend.. Just be sure and print every few days..

EDIT: oh and if you're certain you want a multifunctional then I'd recommend the CX6600.. I got a refurb one that I was able to bring back from the dead with full waste ink and clogged to the hilt.. Took 2 days and some cleaning fluid in the carts and it was as good as new.. that and I figured out the waste ink tank approach too. Refurbs are generally cheaper too.

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
I don't need an all in one, I just figured that if the printers were comparable, that I'd go with it.

The C88 is a bit more than I wanted to spend, I may look for a refurbished one first, though the printer's so new I doubt it would be much cheaper. I already knew about the waste tank modification (though with the C printers it seems to require physical modification that will completely void your warranty - the R is easily replaced if the printer needs to be returned, and you haven't really done anything 'bad' to the printer).

I'm hopping SSC will come out with a new version to support the R220/R340/C88/etc series of printers soon.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I wonder how you get the idea Canon printers need continual print head replacement. HP is the brand that is entitled with that. I have seen someone using an i9100 for a couple of years and consumed liters and liters of 3rd party ink over and over. He had a few problems for sure but wasn't anything to cost him a new print head. Avoid cheapy prefilled 3rd party compatibles for Canon. Those cartridges are responsible for the majority of problems for Canon printers.

There are a couple of advantages of Canon over Epson. Canon printers are mostly much faster than Epson. Cartridges for Canon are far easier to refill than that of Epson. Canon print head can be taken out for cleaning. It is nearly impossible to do that without costing an arm and a leg for Epson printers. Chipped Canon printers can be refilled. 3rd party compatibles may be on the way out. I had an Epson R300 and had countless cloggings once I began to refill with 3 rd party supply. It's a dog comparing to Canon ip4000. My experience with Epson R300 makes me wonder why would anyone prefers an Epson.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Fenrir Enterprises said:
The C88 is a bit more than I wanted to spend, I may look for a refurbished one first, though the printer's so new I doubt it would be much cheaper.
In that case I'd seriously consider an earlier C86.. They're not really that much different and a refurb should be easier to pick up.. Plus of course it's already supported by SSC or you can source the adjustment utility from a few places on the net.

I already knew about the waste tank modification (though with the C printers it seems to require physical modification that will completely void your warranty - the R is easily replaced if the printer needs to be returned, and you haven't really done anything 'bad' to the printer).
Yeah.. that's a given but then if you get a refurb anyway it's unlikely you'll get a warranty worth much.. In all honesty, the Epsons, like the Canons are pretty easy to fix yourself so long as you know where to look and this place is more or less it. :)

TinHo: Know what you mean about the R300, etc... it's one of the reasons I've sort of gone off Epsons of late but the hassle with the chips and more accurately with getting CIS's installed (personal to me obviously) has sort of pushed things back a little.

As I said, each printer has it's plus's and minus's so you take your pick and throw the dice.

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tin Ho: I had very bad experiences with Epson too (My R340 cd printing feed rollers broke 3 months after buying it and their warranty service was terrible, in my opinion). However, if you look through the newsgroup comp.periphs.printers, you'll see many people who had to have their Canon iP4000/3000 printheads replaced (sometimes more than once) within the first year (because Canon will replace it for free within that time), then being stuck having to buy one for 2/3rds the price of the printer after that. While I see many posts about Epson C-series clogging up within days while using Epson Durabrite ink, I've seen many people post that using 3rd party pigment ink works much better as long as you keep the printer running daily. I suspect this is because most premium aftermarket pigment ink for this printer is not Durabrite formulated, but Ultrachrome, which is slower drying and less prone to clogging.

Having pigment color also appeals to me because I will be doing large runs of newsletters and I want decent moisture resistance (i.e. someone reading it while drinking an iced coffee). The black pigment ink from the HP 1100d stood up quite well to damp fingers (but not soaking), while the dyes ran a little too easily.

My current situation doesn't give me a budget for a color laser printer - the lower end ones like the HP 2600n have a higher cost per page than many inkjet printers using OEM inks.

I'll probably look for a refurbished or new C86 off of eBay so Epson doesn't get much $ directly out of the sale. (they've probably already gotten all the money they're going to get out of discontinued models so only the seller will be making the profit).

Now to figure out what to do with what's left of my 1100d.