websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
tyamada said:
FYI the SSC V4.10 utility supports the R220 and the C88
Erm... sorry to disagree but no it doesn't...

I did all the testing on it and it only works for the basic stuff like ink levels.. not the all important waste counter reset or ink freeze, etc..

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Looks like I'll have to go for that refurb. A C86 on eBay runs about $100-$130. Weird.

Rich

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Staples.com has a new Epson c88 for $69.90. Free shipping included.

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Websnail:

The SSC web page states the printers are supported, and if certian functions work than the its supported to a certian extent.
I have an old Epson 785EPX that most of the functions in SSC work some times and other times it sends the printer into convulsions and other times they don't work at all. But over all I have had to play with the functions to get them to work.
So would you say that my printer isn't supported?

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Checking around local Staples, I find that one store says the C88 is completely discontinued, while the second store said that it's simply out of stock. Seeing as how it suddenly fell from 99.99 to 59.99 (the store that said it's discontinued is selling their display model. My 1100D was a display model - I'm not going through /that/ again), it seems that this printer has already been phased out. Has anyone else heard anything about this? And if it is discontinued - is there a replacement model coming out soon?

Added after making more phone calls:

Apparently it's now the C88 Plus.

The question being, are refillable tanks and auto-reset chips available for it yet? (for those who don't know, despite the fact that the R220 and R340 take the exact same # cartridges as the R200 and R300/300M/320, they will reject auto-reset/aftermarket chips that were only designed for the earlier models). And why was the C88 superseded so quickly? What was wrong with it?

This is starting to be more of a hassle than it's worth. I'll see if I can get the C88 off of Staples' website but I hate ordering things online. They may be out of stock if it's a discontinued model.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
tyamada said:
Websnail:

The SSC web page states the printers are supported, and if certian functions work than the its supported to a certian extent.
I have an old Epson 785EPX that most of the functions in SSC work some times and other times it sends the printer into convulsions and other times they don't work at all. But over all I have had to play with the functions to get them to work.
So would you say that my printer isn't supported?
Look... I tested it and found it is not completely functional... This isn't semantics or guess work here but actual experience with more than 3 printers of the same type.

If you can get it to work great.. but that's not something I've had any joy and neither have any other C88 users.