What happens if I 3/4 refill and reset cartridge?

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
I took my cartridges out one at a time for refilling & I refilled all 8 shutting the lid each time & the print head when to the park position. As there was a cartridge missing from the printer every time I shut the lid would the printer still do a cleaning cycle every time I shut the lid?
Regards Rod

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
rodbam said:
I took my cartridges out one at a time for refilling & I refilled all 8 shutting the lid each time & the print head when to the park position. As there was a cartridge missing from the printer every time I shut the lid would the printer still do a cleaning cycle every time I shut the lid?
Regards Rod
When you open the lid to access your cartridges, the print head makes its way towards the middle of the printer and stops. It will stay there for several minutes - maybe 10 minutes on my MP830, maybe longer since I've never timed it - and then if you do nothing at all the printer will automatically return the print head to the parked position over the purge pads and may do a maintenance cycle of some sort. The same will occur if you close the lid, whether you have removed a cartridge or not. I can only presume the same will occur if you take the entire print head out as well, but I've never tried that theory out.

If you are refilling and think you will not be able to get all the cartridges back into the print head before the printer automatically parks the print head, then pull the plug on the printer so that the print head remains in the center and not return to parked over the purge pads. In this fashion, you will not be wasting more inks on various cleaning/maintenance cycles. Do not shut the lid until all your cartridges are refilled and back in the print head and the power is back on.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks Stratman I will follow your advice next time.
Regards Rod

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Or have a spare set ready, and when one cart is low remove all the carts.

Replace with the spares and refill the carts you have removed ready for next time.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Another ink saver is to reset and to refill your cartridges (or replace) before the low ink warning appears,
then the printer doesnt do a head cleaning cycle.

Simply because the printer still sees a cartridge full till the first warning notice appears, try it.. :)

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the tips. I've been looking for a spare set of CLI 8 cartridges on Ebay, Google etc but so far I can only find the 5 ink set ones with a pigment black. I haven't come across any 8 ink set CLI 8 for my Pro 9000. I will keep looking. The key words I've used are "oem cli 8 empty" "virgin canon cli 8 empty" & a couple of others. Do any of you know of a good quality compatible that might do the trick?
Regards Rod

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
rodbam Do any of you know of a good quality compatible that might do the trick?
Compatibles are a dime a dozen and one compatible is as good as the next so take your pick.
Like the song goes nobody does it better so you got a good printer now use only the best OEM cartridges..:)

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
OK Hats I will keep looking for empty OEM cartridges. I didn't want to pay out $170 discount price to buy a full set of Canon inks just to get hold of the cartridges. Maybe I should raid the empty cartridge return bins at the office supply shop:)
Regards Rod

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
rodbam said:
The Hat - I think you've found a pub mate in rodbam... he's seeing two of you! :lol:

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
rodbam said:
OK Hats I will keep looking for empty OEM cartridges. I didn't want to pay out $170 discount price to buy a full set of Canon inks just to get hold of the cartridges. Maybe I should raid the empty cartridge return bins at the office supply shop:)
Regards Rod
Hi Rod,

I went through the problems of trying to obtain empty OEM carts.

Mainly US vendors on eBay did not want to ship outside US. Not even into Canada. Can understand their decision. Who wants hassles with low value items like cartridges worth about a buck each.

Anyway, have a couple surplus each of Y, M and PM. Send me an email with your street address and I will drop them in the mail. Depending of Canada Post you should get them within a couple of weeks.

At least will give you a start on building up a supply of empty OEM carts.

Roy