WF-3640 ADF will not feed on Copy or Scan, from computer or on printer

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Would timing differences in the drive in ADF relate or cause?
Your problem is now most likely to be electrical, the cabling may not have seated back properly on re-assembly, you should have taken photos of the whole procedure for reference.. Hind sight, isn’t it just wonderful.. Go back through the whole procedure again..

ForumUser

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3640
Hi, thanks.

I took lots of photos … wiring is pretty straightforward, but I did go back through disassembly and reassembly twice.

Second time I moved the scanner bar to the far side, and on powering up, it appears to realign back to starting position, lighting up as usual, then the same 0X20 code.

0X20 is mentioned online as relating to the waste ink “Maintenance Box.”

ForumUser

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3640
So, working down the mechanical path as it is sometimes visible, I note on the photo (attached) that there are two clips (each end) that hold the light bar assembly in position ... they don't look exactly the same in position, nor does it look like they are locked into a position that is possible with the receiving bracket ... the clip end looks to be resting on a rod shaped device, vice being locked into the position where there is a detent.

Thoughts? I don't have another to look at in comparison ... anyone?

Attachments

• AE19F2D1-3506-4D67-836E-585967BAFB96.jpeg
    AE19F2D1-3506-4D67-836E-585967BAFB96.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 139

ForumUser

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3640
Update - but no good news.

Disassembled, again, to take a look inside the scanner bed, itself. The mechanism in the photo, above, looks normal. The scanning bar is spring mounted and slide on a lubricated bar, the two clips float with it.

I removed and checked the entire drive mechanism where the spring initially fell from - comes apart and goes back together normally - even if it was screwed up, I can't see why it would throw the 0x20 code.

I completely traced all the wiring to ensure no damage - all good - all wires in all connectors look solid.

The Maintenance Box chip looks secure, the pickup chip inside the container area where the box slide into is solid - removed the bracket holding the chip to examine the chip ... all look fine - like new.

The box itself - I don't have a frame of reference, but it looks like it is not full - but would that matter? And, for this to be the issue it would need to occur at exactly the time I am working on a separate and disassociated component?

Thoughts, ideas, guesses?

ForumUser

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3640
Any chance just getting a new maintenance box would solve this?

I hate replacing parts unless there is some procedure to determine the why :)

ForumUser

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3640
Well, nothing heard, so I got a Maintenance Box - did not affect he code or warning - they're still with me.

Any thoughts?

I cannot believe that simply taking the machine apart would cause it to not work ...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I cannot believe that simply taking the machine apart would cause it to not work ...
A wild shot, as far as I know the scanner has a locking mechanism that’s used for the transporting the printer and if you pulled the scanner apart without locking the unit you may have upset it.. It’s worth checking it out.. !

ForumUser

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3640
OK, worth a shot!

How to tell if it is locked, or to adjust whatever the locking device is or looks like?

ForumUser

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3640
Found no mention of scanner lock in documentation for the WF-3640 … can’t find any switch for this as on some models … scanner bar reset/reindexed when I was experimenting earlier …