WF-3640 ADF will not feed on Copy or Scan, from computer or on printer

ForumUser

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3640
Hi All,

Have read LOTS of posts and watched LOTS of videos, but have found nothing like my issue.

Printer prints great, scans and copies off the plate, but ADF will not operate.

Very, very little use. Reloaded all software. Cleaned every roller, checked mechanical funations, ADF light comes on when paper is pushed in, but when copy or scan activated, a blank sheets pops out quickly as the warning shows on screen or printer that there is a paper jamb in the ADF. Thus occurs whether is activated via the computer, or on the printer, itself.

I can hear the ADF motor run, and can see drive gear moving, when I lift the ADF cover quickly, but the paper never feeds.

The only thing odd I have noted is that the software does not have a box for Mode that is mentioned in all the documentation. The Mode box for selecting Home, Office or Professional is missing completely. Computer us Macbook Pro.

Thoughts?

ForumUser

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3640
OK - so, stumbled on the odd thing that is apparently the issue ... as now it works fine.

Open the ADF cover ... on the bottom, left side close to the hinge there is a slot with a white plastic tab ... push the tab back towards the end of the ADF cover that opens and you should hear/feel a click ... that's it.

See photo.

Attachments

• IMG_9533.JPG
    IMG_9533.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 146

ForumUser

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3640
Im not sure what would constitute a workaround. "Resetting" this tab (related to the drive mechanism I'm assuming) apparently fixed the issue.

However, the malfunction occurred, again, this morning - sometimes after one page, then maybe three pages, then ran for full 25 in a stack - then immediately to paper jam after one page in the next cycle ... no particular pattern, but in each case the small white tab was back in a position closest to the ADF hinge.

It still seems related to the tab - now, each time I reset it, I get one page scan only - and, the software settings are for combine to one doc ... have not changed anything else ...

Is this an optical sensor (photo) - each time I clean it with q tip and alcohol I hear a beep - are there optical sensors?

The machine has probably not seen 500 pages go through it ...

Last edited:

ForumUser

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3640
Gah, the malfunction occurred, again, this morning - sometimes after one page, then maybe three pages, then ran for full 25 in a stack - then immediately to paper jam after one page in the next cycle ... no particular pattern, but in each case the small white tab was back in a position closest to the ADF hinge.

It still seems related to the tab - now, each time I reset it, I get one page scan only - and, the software settings are for combine to one doc ... have not changed anything else ...

Is this an optical sensor (photo) - each time I clean it with q tip and alcohol I hear a beep - are there optical sensors?

The machine has probably not seen 500 pages go through it ...

The Hat has been throughs this dance, before, yes?

Attachments

• 86FC5C2F-7928-4B04-A1B9-7884FF2F4D8A.jpeg
    86FC5C2F-7928-4B04-A1B9-7884FF2F4D8A.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 151

ForumUser

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3640
I am trying to find consistency in the malfunction ... but so, far, I'm not.

I've:
- tried various formats for the scan
- tried resetting software on the machine to Default (Scan and Photo)
- tried cleaning everything that even looks like a sensor
- carefully blew out the various nooks and crannies with compressed air
- examined everything carefully
- printing - fine
- reloaded Epson SW
- reset the tab and watched it reset each time as power was applied

At one point it would pull the first page through quickly (apparently without scanning) and then stop on the second page - and jam - see photo.

Then, it stopped doing this, but would feed only one page, regardless of settings chosen in Scan.

Attachments

• E033C4D1-2278-4A1B-92B7-2478A6BDFE7E.jpeg
    E033C4D1-2278-4A1B-92B7-2478A6BDFE7E.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 146

ForumUser

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3640
Sigh ... further, more careful examination showed this spring tensioner laying in the area where the "tab" is located - I'm assuming it is to return the tab to position per the rotation of the feed mechanism?

Can this be reinserted from above the opening or does the ADF need to be disassembled?

Attachments

• 63939F14-D2BD-4313-8FFD-080E71B7FFC2.jpeg
    63939F14-D2BD-4313-8FFD-080E71B7FFC2.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 141

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Can this be reinserted from above the opening or does the ADF need to be disassembled?
Nope, you’re going to have to strip it down to get access, sorry…
At least you now know what the problem is..
P.S. try not to temp faith again by saying you’d solved the issue..

ForumUser

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3640
OK - took ADF apart … disconnected from PCB … disassembled the drive mechanism to get at the “tab”, think I have assembled correctly …. but (ya knew it was coming) now I get a scanner error … redid everthing … same result.

Would timing differences in the drive in ADF relate or cause?