***WARNING*** driver update tries to install new firmware

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The programs I had suggested to remove are the ones that downloads the firmware. Now that it is done removing the program will not help. The only solution is to get a new chip bar. I know of no source for a library of older firmware. It was easy for me to spot the culprit because I was doing a new install and I could spot what programs were new. I don't recall the names but if you look through the library of installed programs from Epson, they're easy to spot.

I did not know that this affects machines going back to the 710.

Jtoolman, maybe only if you installed the newest drivers will the automatic download program be installed and included in the package. I know it was not there in the days of the early 725 and 710. So it is possible that annel used an updated driver. I'm pretty sure you won't want to try and see if that is the case. It it was, you would not be impressed. I'm hoping that you kept a copy of the old drivers or maybe the CD.

Newer, better???? Hmm...

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I do have the CD but just recently about 4 months ago I had to reload WIndows 8 and downloaded the full Driver package for the ART 720 from Espon. What ever was installed has not impeeded me from continuing to use you CISS on it.

Joe

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just to note one thing on the updating firmware side of things.

When this was originally noticed, a year back or so, the problem it created was incompatibility for CIS ARC sets in some printers like the Artisan 735, PX730WD and similar. It was noticed that the ARC's on refillable cartridges were not affected so those kept working.

If memory serves, there was also a firmware update for the R3000 but this didn't affect CIS or refillable cartridge function so it wasn't all bad and of course firmware updates aren't always going to be attacks on consumable compatibility, but dealing with genuine issues like tweaking nozzle firings, waste ink scheduling, etc...

I'm not 100% on compatible single use cartridge chips (3rd party) as I don't tend to deal with those unless a customer calls for help, but I seem to remember a few hit "not recognised" issues post firmware update.

Since then the chip manufacturers have resolved most of the issues with a new chip release so the reports you get now are likely to be some unscrupulous, or indeed uninformed, seller/store dumping old stock that has the old chipset on.

Whether we'll see the same issues again in the future I guess we'll have to wait and see...

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
I owe an apology. Apparently the issue was not what I thought it was. I have three Artisan 710's and two computers going and it gets a little crazy. One computer was not acknowledging one printer but when I uninstalled and reinstalled the software it is working again so apparently it did not have anything to do with the firmware as I originally thought. I am now using all three printers on a computer that does not have internet connection - just to be safe. Thanks for the help and I'll try to be more thorough next time before jumping to conclusions.