***WARNING*** driver update tries to install new firmware

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
If this has been mentioned before please ignore. Yesterday I received my new Artisan 837 from FedEx. Spent last night familiarizing myself with it since I've been a Canon man for many years. So today I press start > programs > Epson Artisan 837 series > Driver Update. I had set the printer to ONLY accept updates and NEVER accept firmware updates. I was connected to Epsons driver update site and downloaded the software and started to install it. I'm sitting there watching it install when I see that it will now UPDATE THE FIRMWARE. It says that it cannot be canceled or removed. I hit cancel anyway and I think I caught it before anything was done. I guess I won't know until the starter carts run out and I try the new carts I just ordered from Mike. Like I said, if this is old info please ignore. But if it's relevant please be careful.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I mentioned it a week ago I think, that despite saying NO to the updates it proceeds to do so.
Go into uninstall programs section and manually remove the programs. That is what I had to do.
This is just the beginning it looks like a bunch or curves ahead with printer mfrs. The processors and chips can be as powerful as they want and inexpensive enough to use that we should expect more than this in the future. It will be sold as a benefit and mfr. looking after you with a report home blanket program. Trouble is many folks will fall for the benefit of the printer reporting back. Big brother.

I'm not kidding.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This is proving to be a big headache with printer installations. :he

No matter how I tried it I could not setup and install the iP7250 using the CD provided without
allowing it access to the internet, in the end I loaded on my Mac instead with Canon approval.

I have used Windows installer in the past very successfully to load my printers on a 64 bit system,
simply because the CDs were not up to the task, how times have changed, big brother is watching.
And I kid you not either.. :hide

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
But these issues are only a problem if you are refilling, correct? If you buy Epson cartridges, then is there any disadvantage to keeping the printer up-to-date with driver and firmware upgrades?

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have always been reluctant to install firmware on pretty much anything unless there is an actual problem that the firmware might solve. Otherwise it might introduce problems you didn't have before.

It's not nearly as common for hardware to die due to a firmware upgrade as it used to be but it can still happen. I just find it "not worth the risk" unless it's something where security updates are critical.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
ghwellsjr said:
But these issues are only a problem if you are refilling, correct? If you buy Epson cartridges, then is there any disadvantage to keeping the printer up-to-date with driver and firmware upgrades?
I would approach this the same way as WiFi router firmware upgrades - don't upgrade unless the upgrade resolves a problem you are having or adds a function you need. Always review the change log for the update on the manufacturer's web site. Like Fenrir said, firmware updates can introduce new problems sometimes. If it ain't broke then don't fix it.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
stratman said:
I would approach this the same way as WiFi router firmware upgrades - don't upgrade unless the upgrade resolves a problem you are having or adds a function you need. Always review the change log for the update on the manufacturer's web site. Like Fenrir said, firmware updates can introduce new problems sometimes. If it ain't broke then don't fix it.
I'd agree with this and practice it myself... But more importantly here, the analogy breaks down when you remember that router firmware is not written with a view to removing compatibility at any point. Printer firmware however has been regularly updated during manufacture runs and in later models such that compatibility is actively removed and reduced with each iteration. As such trusting firmware updates from Epson, Canon or any other OEM is not something I would necessarily encourage.

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
I accidently plugged one of my Artisan 710's into my computer with the internet up I guess - it installed firmware automatically so fast I couldn't do anything to stop it. I know I did not give any permisssion for it to do so. Now my printer will not work with my Piano Book CISS. Is there any recourse at all for my printer or is it dead (barring paying for OEM carts which I am not willing to do). Does anyone know if there are any refillable cartridges yet that work with the new firmware? Or is there a way to manually remove the firmware. I see mikling suggested that. Could you possibly tell me the procedure for doing that? Are you talking about just uninstalling the printer? I had read that this will not uninstall the firmware.
Thanks anyone who can help.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
My Artisan 720 is a network printer ( WiFi only ) and I've connetec it several times via USB to be able to read the waste counters with the WIC tool. Laptop is always on the internet. No updates of any kind have take place.

Joe

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
I guess it could be something different but I remember seeing firmware installing - and I now have one printer that keeps saying it cannot print. Not sure. Thanks.