Using micropigment ink in Canon BCI-6/CLI-8 dye ink photoprinters

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The real test is to keep trying to print with no ink going through and see what happens. Let's do this say for at least six cartridges worth of prints then we can say for sure whether or not it worked or didn't. Then report back to us.

This is the real test. Make sure that the ink gets to the nozzles though. Even dye ink that gets to the nozzles and won't come out will eventually cause kogation. Check the parking pad for evidence of that ink is actually getting to the nozzles.

PLEASE NOTE: I will not pay for the replacement head if it fails.

Lucky Once, Lucky twice...ooh it feels nice.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Mikling, I tried Epson compatible pigmented color ink on Canon just to see if it would produce anything. This was out of a simple curiosity and nothing else. Since it took only one try to see that it did not I really have no reason to try it with 6 cartridges full of ink. This thread was about if such ink would work on Canon and clearly I already had the answer. But you jumped in to claim that it is clogging and kogation that prevented it from working. Obviously it was not. Any reason I should keep printing after the first attempt produced no joy? I know if I kept on printing eventually it would crash and burn because of causes beyond any interest for me to know. Try to pump water instead of gas into your gas tank and keep on cranking after the initial attempt fails. I know. The car will die.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Side track a bit. Nozzles was discussed and mentioned above. What would the size 1 pl nozzls, 2 pl nozzles, 3 pl nozzles and 5 pl nozzles if we were to imagine/associate them in terms of millimeter? Hmm, 0.01, 0.1 millimeter for 1 pl nozzles???? By the way, I have already read ghwellsjr's post on Antomony of Canon Printhead Nozzles so no need to link me to that thread. However, despite having read ghwellsjr's post and also because the nozzles are so tiny that they cannot be seen directly with physical eyes, I want to imagine how tiny they were preferably in terms of millimeter.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
lin said:
What would the size 1 pl nozzls, 2 pl nozzles, 3 pl nozzles and 5 pl nozzles if we were to imagine/associate them in terms of millimeter? ...snip... I want to imagine how tiny they were preferably in terms of millimeter.
This post shows several additional photos of a print head. In particular, this photo

Shows the sizes of 1 and 5 pl nozzles. The blue bar at the top left of the photo has a length equal to the spacing between nozzles (1/600 inch), so you can scale the diameters of 1 and 5 pl nozzles from the photo.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
If I remember correctly I saw an article somewhere that said average size of pigments in pigment based ink is somewhere around 5 to 10 micron. I am not going to swear on this. Before the ink is formulated they grind pigments into fine powder in 5 -10 micron size. After the ink is produced the pigments remain in the same size floating in the ink.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Tin Ho, grinding pigments is little bit old fashioned to make pigment ink. The latest technology is to use the phase-change precipitation method, making it possible to produce very fine and uniform pigment particles. To be short: a dye-like solution is dripped in a reaction solution, causing the "dye" to precipitate to pigment particles by changes in solubility or by a polymerization reaction. This is just a simple explanation, because the process is very advanced.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
1) From what I see Epson has 4 (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black) and 6 (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, Light Cyan and Light Magenta) pigment colors system.

Assuming if we were to use Epson Pigment Ink on Canon Printer which uses dye ink. May I asked if Epson Light Cyan and Light Magenta Pigment Ink color will be slightly more closer to Canon dye Cyan or dye Magenta or will it be the Epson Magenta & Cyan pigment ink. I know that Epson pigment color is very different from the canon dye. But I am trying to image what would it be like if we had use Epson Color Pigment Ink on Canon. Color Shift & Saturation problem will definitely be a issue. But would the Light Cyan & Magenta Pigment Ink has lesser color shift than the normal Epson Cyan & Magenta. Or would the normal Epson Cyan & Magenta be more 'appropriate' (literally speaking) as a replacement for the dye Canon Cyan & Magenta.

Yes, it had been said that it's not advisable to use Epson pigment ink on Canon. But I hope I could still image and create that in my thought.

2) I had a chance to touch a black text printout from an Epson Printer which was said to be using 3rd party pigment ink. I 'slide/run' my fingers across the full page of text and realised I could feel the 'powder' of the black pigment. It almost felt like 'running' my finger across a page full of words written by pencil where I pick up the fine black/carbon powder.

I understand that when printing with pigment ink, the pigment lays on the paper. But is this what I am supposed to expect from a Epson pigment ink printout? Or this is a more of a brand/quality issue from different 3rd party Pigment Ink. I don't recalled that I could 'feel or pickup' the powder from Canon pigment black.

Appreciate any input on this as I am wondering if it could be the quality of that particular 3rd party Epson pigment ink or this is the norm even for Epson pigment ink.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
lin said:
1) From what I see Epson has 4 (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black) and 6 (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, Light Cyan and Light Magenta) pigment colors system.

Assuming if we were to use Epson Pigment Ink on Canon Printer which uses dye ink. May I asked if Epson Light Cyan and Light Magenta Pigment Ink color will be slightly more closer to Canon dye Cyan or dye Magenta or will it be the Epson Magenta & Cyan pigment ink. I know that Epson pigment color is very different from the canon dye. But I am trying to image what would it be like if we had use Epson Color Pigment Ink on Canon. Color Shift & Saturation problem will definitely be a issue. But would the Light Cyan & Magenta Pigment Ink has lesser color shift than the normal Epson Cyan & Magenta. Or would the normal Epson Cyan & Magenta be more 'appropriate' (literally speaking) as a replacement for the dye Canon Cyan & Magenta.

Yes, it had been said that it's not advisable to use Epson pigment ink on Canon. But I hope I could still image and create that in my thought.

2) I had a chance to touch a black text printout from an Epson Printer which was said to be using 3rd party pigment ink. I 'slide/run' my fingers across the full page of text and realised I could feel the 'powder' of the black pigment. It almost felt like 'running' my finger across a page full of words written by pencil where I pick up the fine black/carbon powder.

I understand that when printing with pigment ink, the pigment lays on the paper. But is this what I am supposed to expect from a Epson pigment ink printout? Or this is a more of a brand/quality issue from different 3rd party Pigment Ink. I don't recalled that I could 'feel or pickup' the powder from Canon pigment black.

Appreciate any input on this as I am wondering if it could be the quality of that particular 3rd party Epson pigment ink or this is the norm even for Epson pigment ink.
If you feel the print It's more paper realted than ink, I have 230gsm paper that I used to print contact cards and used dye OEM canon ink. All colors like true black, blue, red, cyan etc. have effect that you can feel the print. :)

The cards look so professional this way

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Smile said:
If you feel the print It's more paper realted than ink, I have 230gsm paper that I used to print contact cards and used dye OEM canon ink. All colors like true black, blue, red, cyan etc. have effect that you can feel the print. :)

The cards look so professional this way
Let me rephrase my question at post #47

1) If we're to use Epson Pigment Ink on 5 color system on Canon Printer, should we try Epson Light Magenta & Light Cyan or the normal Epson Magenta & Cyan? I am just trying to image what would it be like in terms of the coloring/appearance of a canon printout using Epson Pigment Ink.
2) Can you feel or pickup very fine and faint amount of pigment powder from printout that was printed with Epson Pigmnet Ink?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
BTW I was using papper named optiimage found a picture here
321516b.jpg