Use Epson L6170 or L6190 for double sided copying and printing

androidman994

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L6190
Hello,

I just bought this Epson L6190 printer with ADF capability.

Does anyone know how to configure such that it is able to scan and print "2 double-sided" A4 documents, with the pages in order?

The documents I have are double-sided.

The issue I am facing is that when it scans, it only scans 1 page of each document. Then, it will combine those 2 documents into 1 front and back document.

Instead, I need it to scan both sides of each document and print both sides of each document.

How do I do this?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Can't you find any instructions in the manual ?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I don't have your printer so I don't know what it is actually doing, looking to the manual I can read this:

https://download.epson-europe.com/pub/download/6287/epson628723eu.pdf

There is a section Copying - Copying on both sides

Copying on 2-Sides
You can copy multiple originals on both sides of the paper. on page 91 - 92

And this doesn't do it ?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
My short answer is that your printer cannot do Auto Duplex 2-sided scanning via the ADF.

The documents I have are double-sided.

The issue I am facing is that when it scans, it only scans 1 page of each document. Then, it will combine those 2 documents into 1 front and back document.

Instead, I need it to scan both sides of each document and print both sides of each document.
To make sure I understand you correctly, you have a document that has printing on both sides of the paper that you want to scan and reproduce an exact 2-sided copy. Using the ADF function, the printer only scans one side of the 2-sided document and then will only print one side of the 2-sided document. If you have more than one pages of documents then the printer only scans and prints the top page but will print 2-sided copies. Unfortunately the printed pages skip the back side of the originals and only print the top side of the originals.

Is this correct?

On Canon printers with ADF, there is a separate Auto-Duplex mechanism for the ADF in addition to the Auto-Duplex mechanism for the printer itself.

It may be that your printer cannot Auto-Duplex scan from the ADF because it does not have the additional hardware to do it.

If this is the case then there may be a way in the driver/software to Manually Duplex - scan one side using the ADF then you manually feed the other side back into the ADF. Software then collates and prints 2-sided pages in the appropriate order.

Looking through the manual that ISF linked, there are 37 references of "2-sided" in a search on the PDF. All but one reference to Printing. There is one reference to the ADF on page 171 showing that 2-sided scanning with the ADF is not supported across a network. There is no instruction on 2-sided ADF scanning that I can see in the manual.

I do not believe your printer can do Auto Duplex 2-sided scanning from the ADF.

androidman994

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L6190
I don't have your printer so I don't know what it is actually doing, looking to the manual I can read this:

https://download.epson-europe.com/pub/download/6287/epson628723eu.pdf

There is a section Copying - Copying on both sides

Copying on 2-Sides
You can copy multiple originals on both sides of the paper. on page 91 - 92

And this doesn't do it ?
Oh dang.... this printer doesn't have 2 > 2 like the older and heavier model.... I wonder why did Epson make them this way........ It only has 1 > 2 and 1> 1 copying styles.

Does anyone know any solutions or hacks to copy and print 2 > 2 ?

androidman994

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L6190
:(:(:( In short, what you said, "may" be correct, and if I would have known that, then I would not have bought it. Even though the older Epson WF 7710 is 4 times heavier, I probably would have gotten it instead if I would have known that.

In saying that, what solutions or hacks would you recommend to remedy this.....

It can do 1 > 1 and 1 > 2.

The scanning software can multiple images at one time..... and save them through the ADF.... but it would only scan 1 side. How could I configure it to scan the other side without any issues?

My short answer is that your printer cannot do Auto Duplex 2-sided scanning via the ADF.

To make sure I understand you correctly, you have a document that has printing on both sides of the paper that you want to scan and reproduce an exact 2-sided copy. Using the ADF function, the printer only scans one side of the 2-sided document and then will only print one side of the 2-sided document. If you have more than one pages of documents then the printer only scans and prints the top page but will print 2-sided copies. Unfortunately the printed pages skip the back side of the originals and only print the top side of the originals.

Is this correct?

On Canon printers with ADF, there is a separate Auto-Duplex mechanism for the ADF in addition to the Auto-Duplex mechanism for the printer itself.

It may be that your printer cannot Auto-Duplex scan from the ADF because it does not have the additional hardware to do it.

If this is the case then there may be a way in the driver/software to Manually Duplex - scan one side using the ADF then you manually feed the other side back into the ADF. Software then collates and prints 2-sided pages in the appropriate order.

Looking through the manual that ISF linked, there are 37 references of "2-sided" in a search on the PDF. All but one reference to Printing. There is one reference to the ADF on page 171 showing that 2-sided scanning with the ADF is not supported across a network. There is no instruction on 2-sided ADF scanning that I can see in the manual.

I do not believe your printer can do Auto Duplex 2-sided scanning from the ADF.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The scanning software can multiple images at one time..... and save them through the ADF.... but it would only scan 1 side. How could I configure it to scan the other side without any issues?
I don't know Epsons let alone your printer model. Others may be of better assistance.

In general, first you scan the documents via the ADF. Then you sort the documents in order but with the back sides to be scanned via the ADF. This is manually duplexing.

There may be a specific settings for you to select so that the printer "knows" you are scanning the back sides of the documents you just scanned the top sides and then collates the images in proper order, like riffle shuffling a deck of cards, in order for you to save then in a PDF. If there is such a setting I am unaware of it.

Alternatively, the old fashioned method was manually scanning the pages, arranging the resultant images in proper order, and then saving as a multipage PDF document OR printing the images using the Duplex 2-Sided Printing function that your printer does have. It is a little more work to manually get to where you want to go but seems it can be done with your printer using the latter process.

To sum:
  1. Scan the pages using the ADF if you would like. You will need to run the stack of documents through first on the top side and then run then through on the backside since there is no Automatic Duplex with the ADF.
  2. Arrange the images in proper sequential order.
  3. Use the 2-Sided Printing setting to print on both sides of each paper.

androidman994

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L6190
As I am not really happy with Epson on not being able to duplex copy, I thought about going with the

Brother MFC-T910DW as I can sell the Epson L6190. The Brother MFC-T910DW has 2>2 copying and printing.

As I am not a printing expert, which would you say is better and why?

I don't know Epsons let alone your printer model. Others may be of better assistance.

In general, first you scan the documents via the ADF. Then you sort the documents in order but with the back sides to be scanned via the ADF. This is manually duplexing.

There may be a specific settings for you to select so that the printer "knows" you are scanning the back sides of the documents you just scanned the top sides and then collates the images in proper order, like riffle shuffling a deck of cards, in order for you to save then in a PDF. If there is such a setting I am unaware of it.

Alternatively, the old fashioned method was manually scanning the pages, arranging the resultant images in proper order, and then saving as a multipage PDF document OR printing the images using the Duplex 2-Sided Printing function that your printer does have. It is a little more work to manually get to where you want to go but seems it can be done with your printer using the latter process.

To sum:
  1. Scan the pages using the ADF if you would like. You will need to run the stack of documents through first on the top side and then run then through on the backside since there is no Automatic Duplex with the ADF.
  2. Arrange the images in proper sequential order.
  3. Use the 2-Sided Printing setting to print on both sides of each paper.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Don't know Epson or Brother to be able to recommend. Someone else will need to assist.

If possible, go to a store that has printers on demonstration. Take along the paper you want to use and try the printer out.