top fill clearance

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thrilla:

This is the problem with a layperson Forum. We all have conceptions and anecdotal information cobbled together from personal experience and the experience of others, that may or may not be correct. Once something gets into the Forum consciousness it may be repeated as gospel even if it is myth.

We all try to do what we can and, until evidence to the contrary, be consistent in repeating that information to others. However, this does not prevent people from having different experiences they report, such as The Hat and his diabolical plan to drive refillers crazy by changing their cartridges before any ink level warning appears. Me thinks he got this idea because his bladder is the size of a walnut. :lol:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Me thinks he got this idea because his bladder is the size of a walnut. :lol:
The Gospel according to stratman. No secret is safe from you.. :barnie :hit
O and the walnut thing, that's just a myth.. :old

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
OK. Smaller than a bread box but bigger than a thimble? :D

The Hat said:
O and the walnut thing, that's just a myth.. :old
Well I have it on good authority you have a brass pair. :cool:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
We cynically blame the printer manufacturer for making the printers consume ink assuming a profit motive.

I wouldn't mind betting that many weeks, if not months, of development time was spent on perfecting these routines to prevent the typical user causing a print head malfunction.

In all these arguments (except the last two posts, where size seems to be the issue) a common factor is "time".

If time measurement is disrupted, the printer's system would be disrupted. If the printer is using the computer's Date/Time reference and storing data in its EPROM, I suspect that setting the computers Date to say 5 years in the future, when the printer is installed, would produce a disruption, unless the development team were really on the ball.

Or alternatively, perhaps fitting a switch in the purging system, would do the same.

But really would you try it and risk a damaged print head, by relying on manually initiated cleaning, I wouldn't.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
- 99% of the users on this forum use third party inks
- 3rd party inks are cheaper than oem (way cheaper sometimes)
- printers use ink for cleaning and maintaining printheads in good condition
- a new printhead is not cheap, often it costs as much as a new printer

Why all the fuss about cleaning cycles?

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
For now there isnt much going on in the art of refilling so I believe these guys are just trying to stay in contact with each other in case somebody comes up with another subject really worth putting some time into. Basicly we're all here to promote economical refilling and to keep our canon printers running forever. So guys keep up the good work. I dont write much here but I do check in at least 3 times a week to see whats new.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Emulator said:
We cynically blame the printer manufacturer for making the printers consume ink assuming a profit motive. ...But really would you try it and risk a damaged print head, by relying on manually initiated cleaning, I wouldn't.
Tudor said:
Why all the fuss about cleaning cycles?
Huh?
1. Did anyone say printer companies are evil? But is there anyone who doesn't think their ink is too expensive?
2. Wouldn't you rather have your ink go onto paper instead of filling your purge pads? Dunno if it works, but wasn't it worth asking?
3. If you had occasion to use OEM ink for some reason, wouldn't you rather keep the heads from drying out by frequently printing a test print, rather than purging vast amounts of ink for every page printed?