top fill clearance

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
for those of us that do not want to give up the top fill method due to canon designing tight clearances on the newer printers, i am now using i little different adjustment. previously on the 560-640 and 990 printers i was cutting a slot in the upper case so the top of the cartridges could be seen during the entire travel of the print head thus there was no clearance issue, but any warranty was now void. even with the colored plugs there was some concern about clearance. the latest set of cartridges i am using i pulled the ball out of the factory fill hole and pushed a 9/64 drill through the hole to open it slightly because a rubber plug is too big to go through the oem hole, i then cut the top of a clear silicone (rubber) plug just below the lip and pushed the plug in until it was flush with the cartridge. it is a little tight pushing the plug in but if you open up the hole with a 5/32 drill which most suppliers tell you to use for the plugs i think there is a better chance you may push the plug all the through. the reason i am using the factory fill hole rather drilling a new hole next to it, is the cartridge is too thin and you may push the plug right through, the factory fill hole has, i will call it a short tube extending into the reservoir area which will support the plug, you then take a pin push it into the side of the plug to pull it out. this for the 220/221 cartridges that i am using

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
as of yet i have not tried them, i am waiting for a responce for those plugs, i was wondering what the internation shipping will be on them and i don't know if they will solve the issue, so until i receive them this is the altenative and if canon makes the clearance even tighter in the future then you will have to be flush

sathyakala

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have Canon MP258 with PG-810 and CL-811 cartridges. In PG-810, I just made a small hole (using the thumb pin, the one we use to pin papers on notice board) just below the label. The hole is just large enough for the needle to go through but not for plugs and I have put a very small tape on it. For the Color CL-811 cartridge, I used a thumb pin to enlarge the vent holes so that needle can go through and I left this as is without taping. I am not sure if the same can be followed in cartridges where you have small clearances (so that you don't need a plug)? Do you guys see any issues in what I did?

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Mrelmo, Precision Colors (mikling on this forum) sells them. Postage is from Canada, which is reasonable.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
i spoke with mike he doesn't carry the low profile plugs, i have the 2 other plugs he carrys, but they are too thick, does anyone know of someone in north america that carrys the lower profile plugs

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Websnail please tell us about the low profile plugs?

Are they easy to remove and are they solid or hollow?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Webbie:

I should get a commission on sales. Or you next born child named after me. ;)