The last Pole dance..

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
His aim was exceptionally good.

Wow... I'd be even more inclined to exterminate if that was happening here. Mostly they just eat up all the fruit on our trees. We did have one living in our attic, but I was able to close up the access one day while it was out savaging.

Right now my biggest problem is still the rats. They are smart and not easily trapped. I've been using these traps with limited success:
https://amzn.to/2NkhIiB

I just need to find a bait that will work better. Peanut butter hasn't seemed to be doing the trick.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I just need to find a bait that will work better. Peanut butter hasn't seemed to be doing the trick.
The reason why I don’t have a problem with rats is because I feed them with Chemically treated grain, it’s not a poison, it’s an anticoagulant, so they don’t know what hits them...
Capture5.PNG

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Baits are my last resort since I hate having them die in the walls of the house and then stinking things up like crazy for a week or two :(

Unfortunately it seems like this is sometimes the last-resort I have to rely on.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Unfortunately it seems like this is sometimes the last-resort I have to rely on.
If they can get into the house then bait is no good to use, switch to an electronic trap so you can easily retrieve the carcass to dispose of, and no smells...

This is what I use as backout..
Capture14.PNG

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
it’s not a poison, it’s an anticoagulant
It is a poison. It is similar to the medication coumadin/warfarin that humans use to "thin" the blood.

The very first thing the head of the department of pharmacology told us on day one of pharmacology was all medications are poisons. They work by poisoning some process in the body.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Valid. "poison: a substance that is capable of causing the illness or death of a living organism when introduced or absorbed."

So, in the right amounts, a lot of things can be "poisonous"... even water (people have died from drinking too much).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The alteration of some normal biochemical function by a substance, even at a molecular level, is acting as a poison whether the intended result is harm or benefit to the organism. Medications are technically poisons, though I do not ordinarily refer to them as such for obvious reasons.

You might make the case that medications like insulin and thyroid hormone in appropriate concentrations are not technically poisons as they are replacements of biochemical substances normally present but deficient.

I saw the part about "an LD50 of over 90 ml/kg in rats" in your linked article. Bringing it back on topic, you sly devil, you!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
It is a poison. It is similar to the medication coumadin/warfarin that humans use to "thin" the blood.
Valid. "poison: a substance that is capable of causing the illness or death of a living organism when introduced or absorbed."
Both of you missed my point entirely, Rats are more than just clever and to beat these guys is never easy, the bait I use is good wholesome grain with additives and they can eat it all day, its only later that they develop a problem.
I have never received one complaint from them yet, but they only visit once, and never refuse the free banquet.. :drool I don’t have a rat problem...;)

Latest posts