The BEST Canon printers, the POOREST Canon printers for refilling.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
FastForward said:
You are clearly out of touch with the new Canon models such as the MG and MX series with the 225/525 carts, these printers are now out there in the millions. You should edit your chart to include these models.
FastForward - Looks like The Hat has given a disclaimer with this list of printers and is clear in stating which printers he has knowledge of and which ones he does not. Since most of us who have been on the forum for a long time have seen the "handwriting on the wall" with regard to the changes that Canon has undergone to thwart refilling, we have either had the foresight to stash a few early model Canons that are the best for refilling or still follow Craigs list to pick up a few gems that will extend our use of easily refilled carts.

Since you are interested in the MG and MX series Canons and other newer models we would look forward to your contribution regarding information of these models. The fact is that The Hat is very much in touch with those models for which he has acquired experience and knowledge. Best for users of the new models to create your own "lists" and inform all of us of the techniques you have developed or learned from others.

F

FastForward

From what I read he has little or no knowledge of the first list of Poor to refill printers, but he put them there anyway. My point was that he omitted the MP/MG/MX series printers which use the 225/525 carts and have been discussed in detail on this forum by other knowledgable members.

I think that you have an excellent idea that us newer model users should start a thread for and by users of these models.

Maybe even owners of the newest models with the foil chips and new carts would join in to create their own thread/area.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
FastForward said:
From what I read he has little or no knowledge of the first list of Poor to refill printers, but he put them there anyway. My point was that he omitted the MP/MG/MX series printers which use the 225/525 carts and have been discussed in detail on this forum by other knowledgable members.

I think that you have an excellent idea that us newer model users should start a thread for and by users of these models.

Maybe even owners of the newest models with the foil chips and new carts would join in to create their own thread/area.
This is a moderated forum. We welcome contributions that add to the knowledge or lend support to others. No need, however to criticize or demean other participants. Any new thread started by you or others which includes the new model or series of printers in the thread title would be much appreciated.

Lestrad

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4950
The Hat said:
The best alternative is to switch to using 521/520 OEM cartridges, which can be purchased Empty.. :)
Hi. I'm preparing to be handed a death diagnosis on my iP4600 (see my post earlier today), and I have four complete sets of OEM 521/520 cartridges. Are there other printers (not multifunction, please) that these cartridges can be used on and that might still be available (I live in France)?

Thanks again for all your excellent help.

Les

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think it will be difficult to find printers using the PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges, but your windowed cartridges can be used in the printers that use the newer opaque PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridges if you transfer the 525/526 chips to the 520/521 cartridges. As an added bonus you will then have cartridges that are easier to refill.

Avoid the newest Canon printers that use the newest PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridges, as no resetter is available for these cartridges (yet?). The printers using the PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridges is being phased out, so better hurry if you want one.

Lestrad

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4950
Thanks for your response, but I don't know what you mean by "if you transfer the 525/526 to the 520/521 cartridges" ?? Do you happen to know what printers use the 525/526 cartridges?

TIA
Les

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It was a typo. It should have read:"...if you transfer the 525/526 chips to the 520/521 cartridges..." . I have now edited the post. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Lestrad

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4950
Thanks. I should have done some more research. I see that the iP4950 is available here and uses the 525/526 cartridges. It seems that the 520/521 cartridges can be used with it. Can you confirm that? I assume I'd need a new resetter?

I'm off to look for a thread on swapping out the chips. Thanks again!

Les

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Yes, you will need a resetter for the PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridges. You find instructions for chip transfer here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=41631#p41631 . Be very careful when cutting the small plastic tab to remove the chip, so you don't accidentally cut the thin conductors on the chip PCB.

There are many members who use the PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges with the PGI-525/CLI-526 chips attached, for easier refill. This trick works for all printers using the opaque PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridges.

Lestrad

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4950
paopaotang said:
I think high quality compatible ink cartridges are the best choice,I always use them.
Well, when I bought the iP4600 which just died (it's available for spare parts if anybody's interested), I swore I'd never buy a cartridge from Canon. Why? Because the iP4600 was identical to the iP4500 that had come out 6 months before it, except that it used cartridges with *even tinier* capacity, and I was unable to find an iP4500 anywhere. All the time I had the iP4600 I used Peach compatible cartridges, and found them to be excellent. But they still require an inordinate amount of packaging, handling, shipping, etc. for the amount of ink they contain. So I started refilling, and I discovered this forum, and I haven't looked back. To me it's the way to go - at least until the printer industry gets off the insane path it's currently on.