The BEST Canon printers, the POOREST Canon printers for refilling.

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
barfl2 said:
pixmania said:
martin0reg said:
Years ago I refilled thirdparty carts with only one sponge. Can't really say this was worse...but as I know my CLI thoroughly I stick to them.
Most of empty refillable carts also have only one sponge, I did not try them yet.
I have not tried Jet Tec I tried 999inks terrible cart. had good carts from IJT but tried clear compatible on the HP with disastrous results (blown head). As you can pick up used Canon OEM's quite cheaply then refill them with a good quality ink hopefully you are cutting down the odds of something going wrong. Its not that they are any better but that their reputation is on the line because of the very high prices charged and they have spent huge sums of money on research, which the smaller firms will not have to do. I agree about the clips I now use the ones from Octoink which are much better than the OEM ones. If the Jet tek perform well thats good but just keep a very close eye on any ink feeding issues that can spell disaster for these Canon heads unless dealt with promptly.
y.
I have not tried Jet Tec I tried 999inks terrible cart. had good carts from IJT but tried clear compatible on the HP with disastrous results (blown head). As you can pick up used Canon OEM's quite cheaply then refill them with a good quality ink hopefully you are cutting down the odds of something going wrong. Its not that they are any better but that their reputation is on the line because of the very high prices charged and they have spent huge sums of money on research, which the smaller firms will not have to do. I agree about the clips I now use the ones from Octoink which are much better than the OEM ones. If the Jet tek perform well thats good but just keep a very close eye on any ink feeding issues that can spell disaster for these Canon heads unless dealt with promptly.
Thanks for your reply, interesting info. i'm always interested in other peoples findings but it seems nobody has experimented with jet tec carts and i thought i'd give refilling them a try. as a user of their ready filled carts in Epson and Canon machines i was always impressed by their build quality and the fact that they are manufactured in the U.K. not China. Even some OEM's are made in China.
Watch this space as i will continue to rotate my refilled jet tec's with my refilled cli 520/521's.

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
10294_jet_tec2.jpg

have been having a closer look at the jet tec black that is presently not installed in my mg5250
the airway is uniquely situated in the front of the cart and testing with a pin proved it not to be a
simple through hole, but one that turned at right angles and went down the front of the cart.
there is a dividing wall that creates an upright chamber at the front of the cart through which the
air seems to flow. i have never seen ink enter this space unlike the maze system that canon use
which floods up through the maze if you overfill.

10294_jet_tec1.jpg

there is more than first meets the eye to these carts and i think jet tec have
done a fair amount of research and design on this cart.
i am unable to tell if there is one or two foams contained within the front section,
but all in all i think its quite impressive. whether it is as good as the oem remains to
be seen but this is not one of your cheaply produced compatibles that abound on the market.
postscript:
just taken another close look at the cart using a strong flashlight, the ink absorbtion in the foam
has a definite horizontal line about 10mm from the bottom. not wavy dead straight which to me suggests it
may be two different foams with the bottom one showing darker by being more absorbent.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Looks good at first sight.
Third party manufacturer has to make other designs not (only) for better solutions but mainly to not violate the original patents...
How do you drill the fill hole and which rubber plug do you use?

PS: There seems to be no chance to puncture and fill it the "german way"??

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Isn't that a plugged fill hole on the left of the cart? Orange plug.

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
martin0reg said:
Looks good at first sight.
Third party manufacturer has to make other designs not (only) for better solutions but mainly to not violate the original patents...
How do you drill the fill hole and which rubber plug do you use?.....................
The orange plug on the top is where i drilled a fill hole for top fill method. i dont have any problem with top fill method. the plug is from a jet tec kit but now i use octoinkjet ink and their plugs. they have to be low profile plugs so as to clear the printer internals when the carrier goes to park position. i used a little hand held drill from the jet tec kit then another drill just to size it out for a snug fit on the plug, not too tight but not loose either.
see here for more pics. http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=60355#p60355

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
pixmania, what about the top-middle hole? Is it the factory fill hole?

8048_jettec_side_view.jpg

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
F

FastForward

I'm in Canada and I looked for a retailer for these carts but a quick search only turned up sources in the EU. Are these carts available in North America?

F

FastForward

The Hat said:
This is just a list of all the Canon printers I could find that can or cant be refilled.

Pixma MP 230 Tri cart. 510/511 No Resetter Use Compatible pre-filled
Pixma MG 2250 Opaque 540/541 No Resetter Use 520/521 carts ?
Pixma MG 3250 Opaque 540/541 No Resetter Use 520/521 carts ?
Pixma MG 4250 Opaque 540/541 No Resetter Use 520/521 carts ?
Pixma MG 5440 Opaque 550/551 Resetter ? New Design Cartridge
Pixma MG 5450 Opaque 550/551 Resetter ? New Design Cartridge
Pixma MG 6350 Opaque 550/551 Resetter ? New Design Cartridge
Pixma iP 7250 Opaque 550/551 Resetter ? New Design Cartridge

The above printers with the 540/541 carts can be refilled but with some difficulties, need more information them.

Then we have the older printers next.

Pixma iP 4950 Opaque 525/526 Resetter Yes Use 520/521 carts
Pixma iP 3600 Clear 520/521 Resetter Yes Use 520/521 carts
Pixma iP 2700 Tri Cart. ? No Resetter Use Compatible pre-filled
Pixma iP 6650 Opaque 525/526 Resetter Yes Use 520/521 carts
Pixma iX 7000 Opaque PGi- 9 Resetter Yes Use PGI 9 Carts Easy Refilled.
Pixma iX 5000 Clear CLI-8 Resetter Yes Use CLI-8 Carts Easy Refilled.
Pixma iX 4000 Clear CLI-8 Resetter Yes Use CLI-8 Carts Easy Refilled.
Pixma iP 6700 Clear CLI-8 Resetter Yes Use CLI-8 Carts Easy Refilled.

Next we have the Current A3+ photo printers.

Pixma Pro 9000 Clear CLI-8 Resetter Yes Use CLI-8 Carts Easy Refilled.
Pixma Pro 9500 Semi-Opaque PGI-9 Resetter Yes Use PGI 9 Carts Easy Refilled.
Pixma Pro 1 Opaque PGI-29 Resetter No. Use Compatible Pre-Filled (Available)
Pixma Pro 10 Semi- Opaque PGI-72 Resetter No. Use PGI 72 Carts Easy Refilled.
Pixma Pro 100 Clear CLI-42 Resetter No Use CLI-42 Carts Easy Refilled.

This is only suppose to be a general guide for the newbie refillers and others that may want to change their printers in the future,
there may be some slight errors so please check before you commit to a purchase.

There are some printer I may have left out but they can be added later
if someone PM me with the details, or any other crucial information.

All the Cartridge codes are European so its just a matter of changing the first number to your own region..

E&OE.
You are clearly out of touch with the new Canon models such as the MG and MX series with the 225/525 carts, these printers are now out there in the millions. You should edit your chart to include these models.