The All New Canon Pixma 200 cart…

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

Just for curiosity I bought a CLl-65 cart from Canon and decided to see what the differences were between this new cart and the older CLl-8 and CLl-42.

First off it had 12.5 ml of ink inside so I removed the ink using an elastic band, a screw and a kitchen paper towel attached to the carts ink outlet and left it over night to drain completely.

I cut the cart up in pieces but because it was black you can’t see clearly it’s makeup in a photo but it was identical to the CLl-8 cart, but for one exception, there was no prism present, that's it, nothing else to tell.

I first did a test fit in my iP4500 and it excepted the shape and size as if it was a CLl-8 cart, but of course the chip showed an error as you’d expect.

Now the chip on this cart is similar to the new chips on the Pro printers, I reckon it won’t be cracked, but you may get a one-time chip out of China at a later date, but be warned because this new printer will use internal software controlled ink monitoring, just like the Pro 10..

I tested the chip with 3 different resetters and none of them got as much as a twinkle out of it, the chip registered nothing from any of them..

Because the photos I have of the cart were less than adequate I included this excellent post by @paulcroft from (2011), this show the inside of this cart properly..

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/a-bci-6-cartridge-opened-up.5492/post-39688
P.S it was a total waste of money..
Untitled-2.jpg Untitled-3.jpgUntitled-4.jpgUntitled-41.jpg
click to enlarge..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
identical to the CLl-8 cart, but for one exception, there was no prism present
Makes sense. No need to reinvent the wheel, and, slash manufacturing costs by omitting unnecessary widgets.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
but be warned because this new printer will use internal software controlled ink monitoring, just like the Pro 10..
what exactly do you mean by this ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
what exactly do you mean by this ?
Like it’s older sister the Pro 10, this new Pro 200 doesn’t have a prism either, so all ink usage is controlled by the internal Eprom chip… How accrete can a sponge cartridge be.. ?
The chip is only there to protect the print head and stop us refilling.. Pre chip days you could print even with 1 or more cartridges missing..!

maximilian59

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1000, Pro-100s, Xp-7100
So do they have no sponge inside? Is the second chamber connected to the large one or do they sell just extraordinary expensive air in it?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Like it’s older sister the Pro 10, this new Pro 200 doesn’t have a prism either, so all ink usage is controlled by the internal Eprom chip… How accrete can a sponge cartridge be.. ?
The chip is only there to protect the print head and stop us refilling.. Pre chip days you could print even with 1 or more cartridges missing..!
I see, without a prism the remaining ink quantity has to be calculated from full, not from when the ink chamber is empty.
But why should it be less accurate with a sponge than with a bag ? The chip counts ink spray instructions.

Based on the empty OEM carts I got the PRO-10 and PRO-9500 chips are accurate at about 1ml (empty carts 17-18g, 32 full - 14 declared volume = 18).
Resetted chips declare empty sooner at 20-21g. No idea if this is because the resetter doesn't write exactly the same counter level as a new chip, or if it is due to a different viscosity of refill inks.
Better on the safe side, not a big problem (although refilling sooner causes more ink purges).

If the PRO-200 (and PRO-300) will not cause more cleaning after ink monitoring is disabled as @mikling observed with recent Canon consumer printers, the chip is not really necessary (but guessing ink levels will lead to more frequent refills).
See what happens with the Maxify when ARC reset and ink volume are out of phase. The printer doesn't care to continue printing with an empty chip. But it has an additional ink flow warning to protect the printhead (and some have larger carts too).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The chip is only there to protect the print head and stop us refilling..
I recall experimentation years ago with cartridges having both chips and prisms to see if covering up the prism with tape to prevent transmission of its signal to the printer. The hope was that we could maintain ink level monitoring, refilling with aftermarket ink when needed, without the cartridge being marked as Empty independent of actual volume of ink in the cartridge.

Result: the chip kept on counting down to Empty, prism or no prism.

The Forum hypothesized that the prism enhanced accuracy of ink level monitoring. However, even years ago the prism was a widget with its days numbered.