Subjective test Epson HD vs Cone Pro HD.

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
This is not about fading - just my first impression of Epson OEM HD-inks on a Sihl Masterclass baryt paper on a Epson HD printer P800. That paper has no sticky coating - seems to be pure baryt on a stiff hard celloluse board. Nice feeling in it self.
First cleared the printer with @pharmacist fluid - let it work for som hours. Then filled the lines with that Epson HD inks.

Yes what to say - subjectively - there is nothing like the original. An obvious feeling of fresh air, Vivaldi and spring.

Cone come on!!!

That's my new reference ink after K3 inks.
Reference ink is a must when dealing with ink cheating and pirate inks.

Perhaps been to long with Cone - anyone have a suggestion for another brand to test?

OK - let me put it like this - Cone is not that bad - I have been happy with them so far and his expensive "superblacks" is up there.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I tested lots of ink brands - dye and pigment over the years - various Chinese inks and Lyson and...........OCP , Inktec.............and Cone. I just can tell what I'm using currently on an age old Pro 7600 and P400, previously on R800/1400/L800 and more like WF-2010W and...and..

All ink testing needs to be done in context with those papers you are using, because the gamut, black level, gloss etc very much depend on the combination of both.

I tested the Cone inks, yes - the black is the darkest I saw so far, but their other inks overall are too expensive for me, that's very good inks but the price/performance does not match my expectations and needs. I don't like Inktec K3 inks because of their bronzing, I found some inks at Aliepxress by Aomya with a good price/performance ratio - slightly lower performance at a much lower price. That's inks I'm currently using on the Pro 7600 , with a compatible P600 HD black by Lyson via marrutt.co.uk or farbenwerk.com in Germany. I'm using/was using as well inks by https://www.easy-inks.de/en/shop/ ; I tested as well various inks specific for the R800/P400 - Higloss type - but don't see any significant benefit with those over the 'standard' Ultrachrome compatibles. I'm just adding a gloss opt. overprint with the P400. But again , it's not just the ink, the paper plays as well an important role - cheap papers, budget papers, brand name and original Epson papers.

Last edited:

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cone for me is practically 1/3 of OEM incl postage and handling. Most other ink cheaters here are much better than I am...